Shaft packing assembly question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

I need to expose more shaft to put a split coupling on and am installing the stud type packing assembly also. Question. How close can i cut the rubber tube between the packing assembly and hull. i have about 4in.inbetween now. I dont have the engines in this boat is being repowered.31Tiara I guess i could buy longer shafts and just install the engines a little foward, but i would rather not. HELP GURUS !!!!!
scot

Post by scot »

I don't know what the official ratio is, but I have a boat with a very tight engine installation and the hose is so short that the brass pieces are about 1/2" apart. It's a 1 3/8" set up. I have had zero problems in 5 years, doesn't seem to have any impact on the packing system.

I will say that from the strut to trans flange, including the thru-hull/shaft log fitting is dead-on and were very accurately centered when I built it. I had a split bushing machined to fit around the shaft to center the shaft log during installation. I would expect that if your alignment is not dead on the additional hose lenght would help compensate for any misalignment.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Thanks for the advice. Info like that is invaluable. Nothing like getting real life info !!! Thanks TROY 31TIARA "DRIFTER"