25 flybridge ac

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Briancc

25 flybridge ac

Post by Briancc »

I'm thinking of installing an ac unit in my 25. I'm not sure where to put it. Has anyone done this in a 25? Any ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Yannis

Re: 25 flybridge ac

Post by Yannis »

For 5 days and nights it gets too hot in the summer. Hot and humid, that’s the worse part.
So hot, I have to leave the boat and go to the house to sleep.
I considered to install an AC too, but with all the modifications on my 28 there is hardly any dry space left for the unit to go.
Sooo, I stumbled into this:

AC 2401 EUROM, by Orangemarine.

You either plug it in the dock mains or have to have a gen set. Either way it is better than suffering...
Or, move up, to a B 35, but I lack the willingness to start all over again rebuilding other peoples’ mess, having to deal with mechanics, carpenters, electricians all over again.
I think I might consider it for next year. Take a look, it might be worthwhile for you too.
I’ve purchased my dinghy and other stuff from them, they’re pretty good. I can translate for you any french in case you don't understand.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Just get a big block of ice. Set it in a container, drape a towel into the container and set the top half of the towel up high enough and attach it to something so it is above the block of ice. Place a fan so it blows thru the towel. You now have a replica of the first air conditioner. By the way it work until all the ice melts and water gets warm.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

How didn't I already think of that very practical solution, lol!
Especially when the ice will melt and will start dripping all over the place!
Let alone how easy it is to find ice, carry it, hang it and the rest.
Tony, Elon is looking for air conditioning engineers, why don't you knock on his door, you never know, haha!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Tony,

How didn't I already think of that very practical solution, lol!
Especially when the ice will melt and will start dripping all over the place!
Let alone how easy it is to find ice, carry it, hang it and the rest.
Tony, Elon is looking for air conditioning engineers, why don't you knock on his door, you never know, haha!!

Yannis, don't knock it til you try it. Shop over here does similar by placing a hunk of Dry Ice in a 55 gallon drum then blows a fan on the drum towards the guys. Nobody is catching a chill...but they are getting some relief.

I recall placing a fan in front of the open fridge on a real hot steamy night when sleeping on the boat. Unfortunately, that's about all I remember.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have one of these:

https://www.icybreeze.com

It will cool the V berth for the night.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

MIke

Hang a curtain to close off the ve berth and I bet it would really help. Same theory as what I described to Yannis but a better mouse trap. I would guess during the day it would be useless with the way our cabins heat up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:MIke

Hang a curtain to close off the ve berth and I bet it would really help. Same theory as what I described to Yannis but a better mouse trap. I would guess during the day it would be useless with the way our cabins heat up.

A cool breeze is far from useless. We usually have a fan blowing when at dock which helps...cooler air could only be better.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Neat little contraption, I had no idea such a cooler existed.
However, at that price, incl. plugs, adaptors etc, it gets really close to a real AC.
The one I proposed above has really positive remarks from users and is not too bulky.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

You could also try one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DLPUWL2/re ... _i=1193678

This one is 8000 BTU's but I believe you can find them up to 12,000 BTu's which would easily cool down the cabin at the dock.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Yes, Tony, I’ve seen these ones too. As a matter of fact there exist numerous brands of such portable ac’s.

Next to me there is a Pershing 54 that has two of those, placed in the outside glass covered deck/cockpit salon, as the boat’s existing ac unit is only functional inside. The problem with those is that they are huge, I mean really too big and certainly somewhat inappropriate, as one sits on the captain seat and the other on the opposite seat so that the tube that expels the hot air can reach the top of the semi opened side windows..a funny scene to say the least, and then you have to move them and store them somewhere to be able to cruise. Also 8000 btu’s which is the norm for those portables is way too much for us, consider that 8-9000 btu’s are what we have at home in the bedrooms that are certainly much larger in total volume compared to our little low ceiling cabins.