B25 Glasswork beginning, what to do about the scuppers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ttownthomas

B25 Glasswork beginning, what to do about the scuppers

Post by Ttownthomas »

I have been (slowly) restoring a '72 B25 Moppie i/o. Pretty much all of the engine work (manifolds, risers, fuel lines and pumps, rebult carbs, new cap, rotor, plugs and wires) has been done now. I have also repaired the trim tab system, replaced the mechanical and antiquated power assisted steering with a new seastar hydraulic system and removed the old style transom mounted trim pumps with newer alpha style floor mount trim pumps and moved them forward. Plus a ton of wiring and general cleanup. Now I'm pulling the drives and getting ready to go through them and simultaneously starting glasswork.

The exterior of the hull has been repainted and is in very good shape except for the transom which has a ton of holes in it.

I removed the old power steering module and that left three big holes
I removed a mercathode system that is not needed for a trailer boat and it left 2 holes
The swim platform was NOT through bolted not did it have any backing plates and that left 11 holes. 2 below the water line and below the deck where I cant reach them
There are also other various partial holes and 2 scupper holes that are precariously close to the water line

I have been reading and studying how to build a water tight hull and how to correctly glass these holes and I'm contemplating if I should remove the scuppers completely. There are warning signs above them saying to leave the plugs in when docked. Anything that warranted a warning sign in 1972 makes be particularly twitchy.

I know some other B25 restorations have removed the scuppers. Are these builds relying on bilge pumping to address any water intrusion? Do deck drains get installed near the scupper locations?
Ttownthomas

Re: B25 Glasswork beginning, what to do about the scuppers

Post by Ttownthomas »

A thought: With the movement of the trim pumps and the removal of the swim platform perhaps the boat will have a better stance in the water.....Moving the scupper holes "up" a bit.
CamB25

Re: B25 Glasswork beginning, what to do about the scuppers

Post by CamB25 »

I moved mine up about an inch to follow the new height of the deck, and added a third scupper. Really depends on the trim of the boat. Mine is riding a little high right now, so I don't get any water flowing on to the boat. The scuppers work fine for removing wash down water. I would not remove them.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi