Float Switches

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mark

Float Switches

Post by Mark »

Guys,

I seem to remember a post on float switches and that Ultimate Safety Systems Float Switch was the recommended switch but they have several models. Which are you guys using? The only difference I can see is the amount of rise before the switch turns on and off. I have a partially broken Rule on the stern Rule 2000 and another relatively new Rule on the bow Rule 2000. Also thinking about increasing both pumps to 3000 or 3700 gph.

Thanks.
Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Stephan

Re: Float Switches

Post by Stephan »

Mark-
I have the Junior model (12 volt)https://www.ultratef-gel.com/product/ul ... or-12volt/ paired with some Rule 2000 pumps. I do not remember if they offered the Mini version 4 years ago when I purchased these. I have been very happy with the switches. If you go with the larger pumps just checked the current rating against the switch.
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Mark

Post by Mark »

Stephan,

Thanks. The Seaflo 3700 pump I was looking at draws max 13.5a and the jr is rated to 15a. Should be ok. No decision is do I want to use alarm. Currently no high water alarm in boat that I can tell. Switches to pumps are in cabin on electrical panel. Would really like to have something on the bridge so I can tell if something goes wrong while underway. USS has an alarm but is pricey. Would only need one and best pace is probably on stern pump....no? If going with USS alarm, need the Sr flora switch.

Thanks.
Mark
Carl

Post by Carl »

I installed a bilge pump in the stern a couple of years ago with an automatic float switch. Just as I was about to run the wires I thought this is not a good idea, I really need to know if and when this pump goes on. A small leak would get pumped out and I'd never know till it developed into something more. A bunch of water in the transom has had boat running sluggish...that has been my " hey... you better go take a look " indicator. Exhaust hose dripping, packing glands, riser hose has all put some water in the back and made for a good indicator something is off.
Anyway, the mechanic who helped me wired the boat and gave me indicators on each bilge pump. Go on plane I expect to see that light go on for a few seconds...then go off.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Carl: I have a light on the dash both downstairs and on the bridge so I can monitor the stern pump while running.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Amberjack has a Rule 1500 with automatic float switch mid-ships wired direct to the batteries and a second Rule 1500 with auto float in the stern wired to the panel.

I added an audible alarm on the bridge wired in parallel for the stern bilge pump because like everyone else I kept worrying whether it was working or not. Now I get a chirp when first accelerating (mostly from cockpit wash down water trickling into the bilge) and occasional chirps when heading into rough seas. It's a comforting sound--enough to know the system is working and that I'm still watertight when it stops after a couple seconds. I used an old fuel vapor alarm left over from repowering so the whole alarm system cost me all of $10 for wire and maybe a couple hours of work. I leave it on all the time to alert anyone on the dock should the boat have a flooding issue.

The Rule 1500's are smaller than others on the board use but I've been comfortable with them, they have a straight run and low lift so they work at close to rated capacity. I change pumps and switches every 5-6 years to keep them fresh.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Mark

Post by Mark »

Amberjack wrote:Amberjack has a Rule 1500 with automatic float switch mid-ships wired direct to the batteries and a second Rule 1500 with auto float in the stern wired to the panel.

I added an audible alarm on the bridge wired in parallel for the stern bilge pump because like everyone else I kept worrying whether it was working or not ... so the whole alarm system cost me all of $10 for wire and maybe a couple hours of work. I leave it on all the time to alert anyone on the dock should the boat have a flooding issue.

The Rule 1500's are smaller than others on the board use but I've been comfortable with them, they have a straight run and low lift so they work at close to rated capacity. I change pumps and switches every 5-6 years to keep them fresh.
Thanks Doug. I agree with having an audible alert. A boat I was on recently had the light on a vertical helm switch are at thigh high with other switches and the operator can’t see the light. He’s asked people behind him to keep an eye on it. I would also like to add a smaller pump midship.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The midship pump in the 28 should be just aft of the v-berth bulkhead, should remove 20-30cm of the bottom ridge so it sits flat otherwise you need a sponge for the last few, 5-ish, liters of water. I laid 2-3 layers of cloth where I removed the ridge just to make sure... I put a 750g pump, it’s too small, I’ll replace it in the winter.
The discharge is through the starboard locker.
I also have two 2500g in the bilge, one fwd and one all the way aft. I like the idea of the high water alert, it is also in my future plans....yeah, all those plans...

The 31 midship pump should probably sit in the same area or very close.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

If you wasn't a dry bilge check out this article.

https://www.panbo.com/a-dry-bilge-for-50/
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Brilliant Tony!

I fail however to see how one can mount this sponge/plate thing onto the hull without making screw holes.
Perhaps by mounting two teak sticks on either panel of the hull, port and starboard, longitudinally, with sikaflex, and SLIDING the plate sponge combo underneath....
Or, mount it on the nearest bulkhead with an L shaped metal fixing. The mounting point on the bulkhead can be high enough so its always dry.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

In one of the photos he shows a brace that screws into an existing bilge pump mounting block. It attaches on the free available space.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315