Yannis- I hear your hanging with the wrong crowd.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Yannis- I hear your hanging with the wrong crowd.

Post by Carl »

Yannis-

I hear your just might be hanging with the wrong crowd.

A friend of mine shares his year between here and Greece with boats in both places. He was just telling me if you know where to fish...the fishing can be better in Greece then here...and it's pretty good here.
I tried to find out where about he stays and runs his boat from, where he fishes...he started to tell me, but it was all Greek to me.

Just saying...if your having us guys over...ya might wanna start hanging around with the right people.
Sardines and anchovies are great for appetizers...but a nice fresh Tune steak seared on the grill makes for a great dinner.

...jus say' n
Yannis

Re: Yannis- I hear your hanging with the wrong crowd.

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

I know a few (two? three?) people who fish tuna in Greece. But I know nothing else. Where they fish, what kind of tuna, what season, nothing.

There are more important things to do in a boat than fishing...after all your kind of fishing requires equipment that I personally have seen only in films or photos. And Im not even sure you can rent them in Greece.
Perhaps your friend can be more useful in this than me. Ask him where he fishes, what kind of boat he uses, tell me his name I might know him.

If you ask what a tuna steak is, 99% of the answers you'll get is Rio Mare, a brand of canned tuna...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I think Yannis focuses on trying to catch Mermaids.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

....which are getting fewer and fewer as the years go by...but the point is to never give up hope!
The french, who I think have the best proverbs, say (translated), “it is better to be alone than badly accompanied”.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Carl,
Perhaps your friend can be more useful in this than me. Ask him where he fishes, what kind of boat he uses, tell me his name I might know him.
Nah he wouldn't be more useful...neither of his boats are Bertrams. LOL
I think its a 36 or 40 Luhrs that he has there. He's that kind of friend, someone I'm friendly with and part of the club. He was just asking if he could get in his hours by doing a lamb roast if he couldn't get back to Greece with the travel bans or something. Then went into missing the fishing season there...and that got my head out of the bilge as I thought fishing wasn't great in Greece and around here we are in the seasons. He was telling me he does very well, but had to know the spots...like any kind of place you go fishing. He did start telling me some particulars, but I nothing he mentioned rang any bells and my head was on the boat more than fishing tips in Greece.
Yannis wrote:If you ask what a tuna steak is, 99% of the answers you'll get is Rio Mare, a brand of canned tuna...
Last few years we have a TV show about guys catching Bluefin tuna which get Big, well there are giants in the 1000lb plus range, although the ones caught on the show are all mid size. Anyway, before then few people realized tuna can be a pretty large fish, few knew what they looked like and most know the cans or the steaks at the fish monger counter. Tell lots of people your going out Tuna fishing they look at you strange saying you catch them around here?

No worries on not being a fisherman Yannis, it's to each their own. I just thought I'd mention what I had heard...and offer a dig.
Cause you know, that's what I do.

...and in truth.

A plate with little anchovies, sardines, some fresh tomato drizzled in good olive, sprinkled with salt and a side of crusty bread...accompany that with friends and a nice glass of wine,
Life just don't get much better then that...especially if on a boat.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

I don't mean to be nasty but out of all your post I kept just one single interesting word: Lamb roast!!
The rest with the fish stories are OK, but the lamb roast is OKer!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:I don't mean to be nasty but out of all your post I kept just one single interesting word: Lamb roast!!
Well gee Yannis, that was uncalled for nastiness!

Well, hmmm a, a, a... LAMB ROAST is two words, not one!

A pretty snappy comeback if I do say so myself.

LOL...Lamb Roast was my ace in the hole proof Nicholas is Greek.

Yes, a lamb roast did perk my ears up too, but he's promised them before. Whole pigs I've roasted before, in one single word "awesome". See how I managed to use only one word as my single word...
I've done many boneless BBQ legs of lamb on a rotisserie, legs in the BBQ, but not a whole roasted lamb.
I'd say I can only imagine...but not really. I should follow up with him and see if we can get a lamb roast in the works...

Yannis, you can't be nasty back to me when I started a post the way I did.

..and its different strokes for different folks.
I'm a food guy who loves to fish, although I throw most back as I'm not much on eating them.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

The epitome of a lambroast is in Easter. If you haven't been to a greek easter sunday lunch you can’t imagine. Ask your friend.
The lamb has to be young so it doesn't stink of testosterone. Once a lamb becomes adult its no good anymore. For a total population of 11 million we consume 1.5 million lambs in just one day.
Carl

Post by Carl »

"Lambroast" a single interesting word.

LMAO!! Touche, Very good, love it.

No I have never been to a Greek Easter Sunday lunch...hmm, it seems some of my "so called friends" have been holding out on all the good stuff.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Lol you guys are too much.

When I lived on the water my neighbor was Greek Orthodox. Their family celebrations on Easter were a sight to see. Big family having a grand time. I guess I should have made my way over there and gotten some lambroast.

Hope you both are enjoying the summer as much as possible in these times.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Our Greek friends usually roast a goat for Easter. It's a great party.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Peter,

A goat is more difficult to raise in a barn, as opposed to a calm lamb.

A lamb has more fat that protects it from drying out while roasted on the spit or in the oven. The goat will tend to be less juicy than the lamb. However, if the lamb is fed bad quality staples, then the goat will be tastier, as a goat doesn't eat junk food like the lamb.
If, however, they are both fed good quality food, then the lamb is always tastier, juicier and cheaper.
I always choose lamb.
Easter is always during the time when lambs are 10-15 kilos. After that period we don't eat lamb as it smells. We avoid lamb in the summer as it stinks of...lamb, just as much as those 30-40 kilo lambs that are imported from New Zealand. However, in some areas we eat ewes that are mellow in the oven....
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looks like we are going forward with a Lamb Roast!

Nick said he's from Corfu and fishing is not quite as good as he said it is..but they do get Tuna in the 1-200lb range and the occasional Swordfish. He agreed they have depleted much of the stock, but they do catch.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

Maybe it’s like he says. Maybe not. I have no idea. I just saw some big greek caiques equipped with giant spools that stopped over at my island to prepare for swordfish, the egyptian guys onboard who I asked said that the tuna period has just ended.

As for the lambroast, tell Nick its too late, the animals are big and will smell. Some people don't mind the smell though.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Carl,

Maybe it’s like he says. Maybe not. I have no idea. I just saw some big greek caiques equipped with giant spools that stopped over at my island to prepare for swordfish, the egyptian guys onboard who I asked said that the tuna period has just ended.

As for the lambroast, tell Nick its too late, the animals are big and will smell. Some people don't mind the smell though.

Big and smelly, sounds good to me!

Nick mentioned its a short season and he was missing it. He is usually there before summer hits here, but COVID has him stuck here.