Big Rock Blue marlin Tournament

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

Big Rock Blue marlin Tournament

Post by Tommy »

The Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament continues today and tomorrow in the Morehead City/Beaufort/Atlantic Beach, NC, area. The video link below shows what happens when a 60' sportfisherman stuffs the bow returning through Beaufort Inlet during heavy seas. The 2nd boat in the video is "Floridian" and I'm told it is a 60' Sportsman.

https://www.facebook.com/bill.langston/ ... 599329429/

Notice the downward angle of the crushed bow pulpit. It appears that the bow was stuffed deep into the trough, and when the bow pitched upward the weight of the water on top of the bow flare cantilevered the pulpit downward and snapped the aft structural support. I will post a picture of the boat in the Jarrett Bay travel lift.
Yannis

Re: Big Rock Blue marlin Tournament

Post by Yannis »

Ouhh, there’s almost...a third of the boat missing...probably that thin anchor chain stopped the whole bow from taking a swim...
Are our boats made the same? Not that I want to test this hypothesis personally!
Thanks Tommy.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

That will ruin your day.

On one hand, I say the boat should be able to handle it. The other hand says all that mass and momentum hinged on the bow stuffed underwater...somethings gotta give.

If I had a 3rd hand...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

3/4" plywood plus 1/4" fiberglass does not equal 1" of fiberglass......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

It was dramatic but not that much of a bow plant. Any boat that's survived 30 years working in the charter trade was well found and tough enough. My guess is some undetected and/or unaddressed wood deterioration in the bow left it in a condition for this to happen. So I agree with both Carl and Mike--how's that for being politic?
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820