Volvo TAMD 60s

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

EarleyBird

Volvo TAMD 60s

Post by EarleyBird »

Looking at a 31 with TAMD 60s. Any of you guys know if parts are still available should they need a rebuild. Thanks. EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Re: Volvo TAMD 60s

Post by Tony Meola »

If Bruce doesn't jump in, y
Try givi g John lane or Werner over at forked river Diesel a call. They handle Volvo engines.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Boattguy

Post by Boattguy »

I had a pair of TAMD60B 235hp. Parts were very expensive and they smoked like a bastard. Ran well on boost, but this was 10 years back. I recall the smoke being the biggest issue, hot or cold lots of it when not loaded up...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Alright, so I'm going to ask..why are you looking at another 31' ? I love em...but not sure if 2 would be better.

Yours looks awesome.. for a bud? Maybe moving to a 2nd location and want a 2nd boat...oh the worries.

An aside... I love the engineering on Volvo, reminds me of German Engineering but they seem to focus on what is best. What works best in a lab does not always translate well after a few years in real life salt water field service. I really only see the issue end when customers can't get parts or think they are priced out of sight.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Being euro I’d buy Jap.
Yanmar over any Volvo. Perhaps even cummins or even cat, but never volvo.
For volvo I/O , forget it.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

To answer your question Carl, a friend is selling his 1971 31 with old Volvo TAMD 60s for 25K, contingent on securing a larger Blackfin to take to Florida and Bahamas. My opinion a steal with this vessel. I am trying to help and see the availability on parts, through this Forum, should they need an overhaul. Another Buddy wants to buy the boat. The seller let the boat sit for 5-7 years, due to health reasons. Basically the entire boat needs a lot of TLC, all doable. The potential buyer’s son and I can do what is need to make the motors sound and trustworthy. There are a bunch a tremendously knowledgeable people here that can give help and opinions.

Secondly I have another boat. 21CC called an Allied built in Peru, Maine, not made anymore. Furuno Chart Plotter/Sounder, Icom Radio, 150 HP Honda outboard.

Thirdly, I have worked on Yanmars, and I wouldn’t give you the dynamite to blow them to pieces. Yes they run, but a pain in the arse to work on.

EarleyBird
Carl

Post by Carl »

I didn't mean to get into your business, but curios, thanks.

Funny with boats you never really know what's going to sell. The right person at the right time is always the best scenario. Those motors have been around with lots of fans...maybe not too many on this site.

If I had found a pair at the right price I can't say I would not have bought for my boat. While on the bottom of my list They were on it. Every motor has some good features...even if just cheap. Although cheap in the beginning can cost you more in the end.

I'm preaching to the choir...hope it works out for everyone.
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

No problem Carl, not at all. As you see I put a post on here with a windshield deflector. I have the pattern that will fit the original Windshield. Can be seen on my boat, previous post (47 years). Works really well. Catch em’ up! EarleyBird
John C

Post by John C »

I had a set in a 1986 Maine Coaster. This was early 1990s. My were TAMD 60 c 250 hp. Good solid motor. Watch the heat exchangers some what flakey design if my memory me correctly. Parts for them will be very hard to come by
Seapalm

Post by Seapalm »

I had Volvo’s in my 31 when I got her, sold them as fast as possible! If you can find parts, they are 4x’s or more than Cummins parts. Sell the engines and find a pair of mechanical Bta’s. My 2 cents...
Buy American Steel!
"Some of its Magic, some of its Tragic", Jimmy Buffet
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle