Paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wgiarratana

Paint

Post by wgiarratana »

Not trying to cheap out but this would be season 4 with 2 coats of Micron csc spots of the base coming thru didn’t see the bottom on haul out. I’m in the Barnegat Bay. Just hate to have it build up if I can avoid it.Paint or not?. Thanks for any input and thoughts.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Paint

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'm about to start season 5.... Just touch up the spots.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Touch up as needed and enjoy the season.

...or you could do what a buddy of mine did. Sand off top layer and repaint, he said it sanded easy...

I say its easier not to sand at all.

I figure I spent the money on the good stuff to keep my bottom clean and wear away so I don't have to sand every year and do not have to deal with heavy flaky build up.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Depends on how much you use the boat. I am on Barnegat Bay also. Depending were you are depends on how bad it will fowl. But now that the Power Plant is basically shut down that may change a lot of things. I find with two coats of Petit Hydrocoat I need repaint about every three years with two coats. But I thin the hell out of it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Question: has any of you thought of the all mighty coper system? You apply it once, and every five years you sand a bit and apply one or two new coats.
Whenever I talk about it in my yard everyone says oh..its expensive..its not worth it, etc. OBVIOUSLY it steals away from their annual business, thats why they fight it, however a friend who applied it on his sailboat (sailboats are much more expensive to pull and more complicated in their treatment on the hard, so they stay a lot in the water ), tells me that he’s thrilled, he sees no growth at all!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

I don't think I have seen that system talked about or offered here in the States in years. Who makes it?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

Coppercoat.com

There is another company too, but I can’t seem to be able to recall...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Thanks So they estimate about 700 US to do our boats. Not too bad when you figure you are paying 150 to 250 a gallon for bottom paint. I would assume the old bottom paint would have to be stripped which would add to the cost. Interesting product.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

Thanks for the input. Probably just touch up and and repaint hopefully not till next season. Any opinions on a better paint then Micron CSC ?.
Carl

Post by Carl »

wgiarratana wrote:Thanks for the input. Probably just touch up and and repaint hopefully not till next season. Any opinions on a better paint then Micron CSC ?.
I used to like the Micron Extra with Biolux...but heard it was reformulated last time I placed an order and it was deemed questionable if it was still as good. I didn't go in last year to offer a first hand account. Guys in my club don't spend on paint, they rather haul and pressure wash if they don't use the boat.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I use Petit Hydrocoat. I have been using it about 10 years now. I like the fact that you thin it and clean it up with water. Need to walk away from it, just stick your brush or roller in some water. I am in NJ and had pretty good luck with it. Never had a barnacle. If you get slime build up they make one with an algacide in it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

I also use the Hydracoat. Works very well. In our marina there is lots of slime on the surface. I just brush it off a couple of times a year. I also use the Petit barnacle coat for the running gear. Keeps the barnacles at bay.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Carl

Post by Carl »

I had looked at the hrdrocoat the last time I bought paint. Not sure why I went with the Extra...maybe it wasn't in stock or...

Can the Hydrocoat go over the ablative Micron Extra?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I had the hard paint. Put Micron on top of that, then several years later converted to Hydrocoat. Actually I do not think I have much Micron left on there, since I was starting to show the red base coat I had on her when I shifter over, but it did have a Micron Red base coat and that is still there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315