The Diamond Princess passing SF on the way to Oakland

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

The Diamond Princess passing SF on the way to Oakland

Post by Amberjack »

Beautiful image taken a couple days ago of the Diamond Princess making it way through San Francisco Bay on the way to Oakland. Taken by my daughter in law from her office window. My son who is a sailor was tracking the ship and let her know when it was passing her view slot of the bay.

Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Rocky

Re: The Diamond Princess passing SF on the way to Oakland

Post by Rocky »

Neat shot Doug,
It always amazed me how such a top heavy appearing ship could ever even venture past a bay but I guess they have more than the eye sees displacing water!
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Hello Rocky--I have seen them out of the water and I agree, there doesn't seem to be enough there to keep them upright. They have dynamic roll dampers in the form of underwater wings to minimize roll but those are only effective underway. I'm with you, it doesn't seem as though they should float upright. Maybe someone reading this can enlighten us.

BTW, my son says the ship has left Oakland and no one seems to know where it went.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

From what I have been told, these "Cruise" ships are the Bayliners of the ship world. They are not meant for Ocean going voyages as the norm, ships built for that are called Ocean Liners, like the Queen Mary 2. The Ocean liners sit deeper in the water with a lower center of gravity and big full bows to cut through large waves.

Still your right they look like they should flop over, but motors, equipment, fuel, water and ballast tanks are all down below keeping center of gravity low. While its huge up top, much of it is all lightweight materials with open spaces. When looking at the upper portion its all cabins, dinning rooms, bars and theaters. When at sea as mentioned they use stabilizers.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

" While its huge up top, much of it is all lightweight materials with open spaces"

Carl,
You just described half of Hollywood actresses.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote: Carl,
You just described half of Hollywood actresses.

Bruce - You owe me a keyboard...I lost a cup of coffee on that one. Funny stuff right there!

...needed that.
Thanks
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Most use water ballast in tanks which works great, until the pump system fails as happened last fall in a Car Carrier cargo ship that had just dropped off a load of Hyundais in Brunswick, GA. Exiting the harbor (notice green buoy on port of vessel where it lies) the pilot felt it listing 30 degrees, and continuing to lean more until it was intentionally beached to safe crew. No fatalities. It's still there, being cut up this spring/summer.

https://dronedj.com/2019/09/09/drone-vi ... argo-ship/
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

All I can picture is a potential loss of rudder control with all that windage and yawing in a downwind quarterly!
Even with ballast, having the superstructure a sail seems dangerous. The rudders must have some depth and power.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

The more recent ones have multiple directional propulsion pods driven by electric motors so steering is done that way. A year or two ago one of the ships took a massive lurch to one side after a computer issue with the steering. I think the ship went over about 30 degrees which is a shock on a ship set up with an interior more like a hotel than a ship.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820