Non Skid Deck Paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Non Skid Deck Paint

Post by jackryan »

I am considering painting the areas of my boat that have non skid paint on them. This includes my gunnels and foredeck area. I have a couple of questions.

1) Any recommendation for a good paint to use to tackle this job?
2) Is the non skid integral to the paint, or do you sprinkle it on before/after laying the paint down, before it drys?
3) Will I need to sand off the current non skid paint, or can I just paint over it with the new non skid paint?

Any advice is welcome.

JR
Carl

Re: Non Skid Deck Paint

Post by Carl »

I was planning to buy a paint and add the non skid granules or real old method of light sand sprinkled over as I had seen done many times before. Only the results can either be harsh on the feet, still slippery if grains are coated over with paint and then comes wear...if grains are exposed they trap dirt or they get pulled out and the opening traps dirt. Other times the grip wears to smooth.

Too many choices had me asking here.

This is a product that was recommended to me and several backed up the claim. Its basically just a paint that sets up without laying down. The texture comes from the roller and speed which you apply. I found their roller left a surface that could be brutal on bare feet and god forbid you fell and slipped on bare skin. But you had no chance of slipping. Very aggressive, looked good and if I had a sailboat I was racing heeled over, it would be my go to.
Anyway, changing the speed of the roll left better results, but just a tad too aggressive for me...but I found a store bought roller left a perfect slight bit of traction very similar to a boats stock non slip. Just what I was going for. Think I settled in on a foam roller.
The paint held up very well aside from where boarding ladder legs are...

I need to redo mine after 12 years...mostly as I did not cover back of boat for a few years after Sandy. It sat with a few things in the deck leaving marks that I scrubbed the hell out of to get clean...that took a toll on its ability to wash and stay clean.

I plan to use this stuff again.

https://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/
kross1

Post by kross1 »

I used a product called soft sand I saw it on a show Boatworks Today it came out great but it is a lengthy expensive process. The amount of soft sand and paint I used was more than I expected. I only did the cockpit area. If I did it again I think I would try the kiwi grip as Carl mentioned.
There are plenty of videos on YouTube about the subject.
Good luck
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I had my deck done 3 years ago. They sprayed Alexseal. Shot the paint with the grit mixed in it. Came out great.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Vintage
1979 FBC B28
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Kiwi-Grip seems to be the 'boss' of the 'quick coat' off the shelf and out of a can non skid surfaces, from what I see it can also be tinted to whatever colour wanted. A few years ago Kevin did his B28 deck with it and the photos looked super.
It is pricey though.

Jeff: As to those minimal instructions good luck to any novice with that!
For a novice trying I would not even attempt applying without several learning curves done by way of full 4'x8' test panels on plywood or similar...…….the first, and only, anxiety attack I ever had was when I applied non-skid awlgrip on my flybridge deck a few years ago and realized, after the first pass with the roller, that the XXXX was literally hitting the fan.... and drying fast...… a few deep breaths, and realizing the boat would not sink, I soldiered on at triple step to a good end result...
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Mark

Post by Mark »

The Kiwi that Carl initially mentioned sounds interesting and something I may try the next opportunity. Sand is no go for me as nothing sticks to it well and pit and leave holes for the finish to deteriorate. I used nut shells and if you let them soak in the epoxy resin before adding Gardner, the work well. Then you can top coat with your favorite deck coating. Aggressiveness of the nonskid can be controlled by the size of the shells and/or the number of top coats.

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks Guys for the suggestions. I think I’ll give the Kiwi Grip a shot. Is
There a Kiwi grip color that comes close to matching the original Bertram 31 White? Carl, you said that you didn’t like the roller that’s sold by Kiwi grip? When you say you used a foam roller, are you talking about the very thin nap foam roller that’s used for roll and tip paint application? Funny, but I think the manufacturer that sells the foam roller is called Corona.

JR
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Just a note the soft sand that I mentioned is not sand it is tiny rubber Particles
https://imgur.com/a/pTxRWZ8
I love the way it came it was just a lot of work
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i like that texture it seems to be a little rough but this is essential on a boat used for fishing as well as guest that have not spent time in a cockpit with drinks in hand
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
kross1

Post by kross1 »

It’s kind of a close up picture. It doesn’t bother your feet at all. This is medium grit they make fine grit and course grit..
Carl

Post by Carl »

Kind of tough to see, but it is the only shot I have here now. Plus deck is dirty here...I think I have a good picture on the office computer.

I think the color is very close to original although tough to see here. I first scuffed and painted perimeter
and those little center channels with perfection. That’s also what I used on side and back panels. After it dried I taped perimeter and lil channels and applied the Kiwi paint.

It was 11 or 12 years ago that I did this, I know the result of the Kiwi roller was
way too aggressive for my liking. I believe I tried regular nap rollers that left a
“Big” texture that was softer on the feet. But the look jumped out as not stock.

I believe the little 4” foam roller from Home Depot is what I settled on. At the right speed it left a
pattern that looked very much factory stock, but with more texture then a factory floor.

I knew what I was after and it didn’t take much time to realize what wasn’t working and what was.
I recall the 1st couple inches with the roller I knew it was going to work. Then it was just fine tune the speed as that changes the pattern.

The toughest part of the job was taping the lil center channels.

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I love the fine sandpaper feel and looks of the old chris craft decks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"