The Best Deal in Town

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

The Best Deal in Town

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Just paid my bill and thought I'd share.....

As a Village of Babylon, NY resident we do have a number village of marinas as we boarder the Great South Bay on the south shore of Long Island. There is a large marina with shore power and a number of additional smaller marinas on different canals, two of which allow winter mooring. I've kept my boat in the Argyle Basin, just south of Argyle Lake on Montauk Hwy since 2012, I've weathered both Irene and Sandy in that slip. In addition to the village marina we have a village pool with beautiful views of the Great South Bay and my wife has a prime parking spot reserved at the Babylon train station.

Here is the real kicker; The in season cost of the boat slip is $650 and the additional winter mooring costs $250.

Sorry to brag but this is one bill I just love to pay.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Amberjack

Re: The Best Deal in Town

Post by Amberjack »

Oh man Peter, lucky dog! I pay $420 per month for covered fresh water moorage during the winter, $550 per month for uncovered saltwater moorage in the summer. At least I figured out how to sublease the fresh water moorage while I'm out in the salt. Prior to that it was either take a big hit by paying both moorage fees or terminate the freshwater lease when I moved out in the spring and white knuckle it when it came time to move back in for the winter. We've all had that panicked feeling, a boat with no where to put it!
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

Brag away Peter!

Its almost as good as my place...I think its $576 for a 32' slip for the season and $10 a foot winter store on land($310), electric and water included.
Short hauls are $15 and its either $25 or $35 to block the boat.
No pool though...
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Peter
I am down the canal from you at Babylon Marine. It’s approximately $100 a foot for summer dockage. I think I need to have my head examined.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter and Carl

If you think you are not paying enough, move the boats to NJ. I guarantee you, you will not find a price under $2,500 for the May1 to Oct. 31 time period. Oh unless you can get into a NJ State Marina. Then maybe it will be around $2,000 and there is no leeway on the dates. At least in a Privately owned Marina, most owners allow their customers to go in before the May 1 date and stay in beyond the Oct. 31 date. Most outside of a handful stop pulling boats about the week before Christmas.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

Damn, here on Cape Cod you are looking at $250-$300/ft for April-October and no that does not include electric. Then add winter storage on top of that.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

waggles02673 wrote:Damn, here on Cape Cod you are looking at $250-$300/ft for April-October and no that does not include electric. Then add winter storage on top of that.
$300 per foot? $9k for a season? Wow!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

My 25 is $5000 for summer season with a pool. Keep it in the driveway in winter.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

kross1 wrote:Peter
I am down the canal from you at Babylon Marine. It’s approximately $100 a foot for summer dockage. I think I need to have my head examined.
Are you a village resident?
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Peter
I am not a Babylon resident, I live in West Islip. I do have the option of Islip town dock but I like the people at the marina and I love the canal.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Even the crappy marinas around me are @$150/foot for the season, thus my desire to stay with my B25 and trailer.

I'm probably paying more in the end needing a trailer plus a 1/2 ton pickup with a larger motor and higher gear ratio but I would want to have the truck anyways so I don't count that in my calculations.

the smaller boat and trailering lets me fish a larger radius of areas which if I had to run over the water would be cost/time prohibitive.
Carl

Post by Carl »

ktm_2000 wrote: I'm probably paying more in the end needing a trailer plus a 1/2 ton pickup with a larger motor and higher gear ratio but I would want to have the truck anyways so I don't count that in my calculations.

LOL...lots of things we don't add into our calculations to rationalize boats.

I kept my boats across the harbor for 24 years or so paying $120 a foot for summer slip, $110 if I winter stored with them...so it was basically $4,500 a season. I worked it out to considering the boat yard to be a summer home. Where can you rent a summer home on the water for $190 a week. My harbor is literally 10 minutes from the best inshore grounds, an hour gets me offshore to the Mudhole for shark, the occasional tuna and dolphin. Years ago the best place for high fat giants...but those days are long gone. There are a few beaches and restaurants to hit...so no need to trailer boat far off. Then when not using the boat being on the dock was the place to be. Great people, lots of parties and BBQ on the weekends when we didn't go out. Sleepovers during the summer so the night lasted into the morning. During the week I'd do maintenance or fish every day...
Finagle the calculations to rationalize.

Kinda like when my uncle wanted a bigger boat to go out for mackerel. It made sense till he caught the first one...$160k for a boat, $5k for a slip, $600 for fuel, few hundred for the gear, $30 for breakfast, $50 for cold cuts for lunch so we can catch mackerel for bait...instead of just buying a flat for $40 bucks. Then we got into them good and so much for counting.

Whatever makes you smile.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm guessing Summer dockage and winter storage in a fancy private marina for our 31s is close to 10k per year. I've been asked many times about what maintenance problems I might have by only doing a short haul with bottom paint and zincs in the spring and sitting in the water all winter might do. My thoughts are; I'm at minimum $5,000 ahead every year, over the course of 10 years I can throw it out and buy a new one.

If we continue to have mild weather I will likely open the sea cocks and take her for a spin in a couple weeks. I can run over to the marina and have the short haul done and any bugs worked out before they even start putting boats in the water...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

You are docked in the high rent district. Move on down to Forked River, save a few grand.

Peter

Staying in the water does not increase the annual maintenance as long as you winterize her correctly. In fact it is better for the hull, sometimes they take a heck of a twist sitting on land.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: In fact it is better for the hull, sometimes they take a heck of a twist sitting on land.

I had perfect alignment before the winter with my dry fit. Put running gear back in on Sunday and the Starboard is out...something moved.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I can't close my cabin door when on blocks.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

So, next year that I’ll remove the engines for some tlc after 13 years, how will they realign the supports and shafts?
This job has to be done while on blocks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Yannis: Normally the alignment is done once it is back in the water, since that is the way it will run. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Rawleigh, I was not aware of that!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

When we repowered, the Diesel shop had it sitting on a cement pad that was level. Then they made sure they had it perfectly supported to make sure we did not have any twists. With that being said, that was how they positioned the engines and made sure the shafts were straight.

The final engine alignment was done in the water. They let the boat sit for a couple of days before doing the final alignment. This made sure any twists were out of the boat and the hull was back to shape.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote:I had perfect alignment before the winter with my dry fit. Put running gear back in on Sunday and the Starboard is out...something moved.
Carl

If you are sitting on sand or on stone with a sand base, I will bet with the freeze the supports sunk enough to throw you out of alignment.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315