Gin Pole + Bob Lico seating

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Gin Pole + Bob Lico seating

Post by Rickysa »

Found a thread on Bob's helm seat with using Todd chairs (his original not made anymore)...Bob, if you have any dimensions that could help me in fabrication (or that I can give to the fabricators :) ) that would be great...email if you'd like. Also, seeing the gin pole on your boat and Mike's has me sold that that is the way I want to go. Unfortunately, I have no experience with them and no search here provided any info, so please anyone chime in...thanks
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Gin Pole + Bob Lico seating

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I did away with the ladder in favor of a step which locks in place or swings out of the way.

When Captain Pat saw it, he scratched his head and congratulated me on inventing a better mousetrap.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

I did away with the ladder in favor of a step which locks in place or swings out of the way.

When Captain Pat saw it, he scratched his head and congratulated me on inventing a better mousetrap.
Yep, as soon as I saw that years ago, I knew if I ever got a FBC that is the way I wanted to go...no to mention, those tiny steps aren't too comfortable to a guy of my svelte figure. I saw on the pic of Bob's boat that he seems to have a similar arrangement (although the step doesn't appear welded?))

Now, how does I doz it??? :)
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Let`s start out with the fact i normally fish short- handed ----------Soooooo after owning the boat a year i had two choices A) get rid of that ridiculous ladder (the most ignorant thing on a 31 Bertram FBC.) or B) wear shin guards like an Ice Hockey goaltender.i am in the cockpit fishing for shark an a mako hits and it is off to the races! the captain takes one step onto engine cover then stumbles on those ridiculous steps that are recessed rather than surface mount like a common bridge ladder. there are many other reasons for this stupidity but just to name a few; you have remove the ladder to get at holding talk,check oil,do away with the best seat on the boat with back to bulkhead window,it is impossible to make cushions around the ladder feet ETC. looking down at your bleeding shins you realize you don`t have to go along with the stupidity of others when you can easily do away with the ladder AND help those of us with bad backs . you already tail roped that tuna,shark so why not carry tailrope snap to gin pole line and STANDING STRAIGHT UP pull the fish out of the water with block and tackle. the head of the shark faces the transom DUH! gaff man at front of fish and easily lifted over the gunnels. Left foot up and onto rear of engine box than right foot on to the Garick adjustable step, left foot on bridge with right hand on bridge rail (you can climb in 2 seconds in 8' seas with complete confidents!!!!!!!!!!! GIN pole is 116" long and 3" diameter marine alluminum pipe with a side support (L- bracket) bolted to OEM. pillar support. for additional support. pipe goes thru wing on side of engine cover down to bilge with strong support F/G directly glassed to bottom of boat . use a 3 1/8 plastic form as mold so after it sets up you have a pocket for gin pole if you ever want to renmove gin pole.the GARLICK step is adjustable to the height of the captain`s step.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Mike that’s a great set up I liked it when I first saw it. Do you have any pictures of how you secured it or tied it in underneath the L panel or engine hatch?
Jason
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Bob are there pictures or your set up on here anywhere I remember seeing it somewhere? Can you share some pictures? In the meantime I will search your posts. Thanks!
Jason
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

The gin pole obviously goes through a 4.5" hole in the panel. Below it, next to the battery tray, is a piece of wood which is glassed to the srtingers. A piece of 3" pipe with a welded flange on the bottom is bolted to the wood. The 4" gin pole slips onto the 3" pipe nub (about 6" high) and is held in place by a set screw.

Sort of like this:

They make them for flagpoles and the like. I fabricated my own.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks Mike!
Jason
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Bob, with copying and pasting your post, I'll just say "spot on and same here"...short handed, going up/down no fun on little steps, bluefin over the gunwale or transom: no dice. From your and Mike's help I think I can put one together.

Any specs on the seating bench? I can do basic fabrication, it's just the planning part that frazzles the noodle.

Thanks again
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

OR, you can do the same thing, only the bottom tube can be narrower than the gin-pole and fit into it rather than the gin pole slip into it. Thats the way I did it, I also added a teflon sleeve inside the pole so it slides with ease around the bottom part.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

You cats are just too savvy.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Yannis wrote:OR, you can do the same thing, only the bottom tube can be narrower than the gin-pole and fit into it rather than the gin pole slip into it. Thats the way I did it, I also added a teflon sleeve inside the pole so it slides with ease around the bottom part.
Yes, if you can find the right sized base. My gin pole is 4" diameter, which is 4.5" OD. I've never seen any 5" tube that wasn't just sheet metal. The next standard size up is 6", which is huge. There is much less play with 4" slipped onto 3" than 4" slipped into 6".

Actually a 3" gin pole is more than enough....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this is a fairly easy job using Mike`s version or mine. my step is actually a bridge chair step made by Garlick .i used this instead of mike`s because i wanted a larger step due to the fact i am running to the bridge and need the advantage of bigger step or getting down from bridge with objects in my hand and don`t have to look for smaller step.i used marine grade 3" pipe the same as the expensive pompanette bridge chair bases or 80 pound fighting chair base. i have lifted a 496 pound tuna out of water and hung on that gin pole without the slightest of problem. the cap with hole for the carabineer at top of gin pole is a 316 stainless cap that has four 1/4 - 20 bolts into the gin pole. stainless carabiner goes into hole on top and holds block and tackle.BTW the site photo bucket has 350 photo`s of my boat and i can observe but not download on to this site. trust me you will love throwing that ladder in the dumpster and if nothing else gain 50 % more cockpit seating , the engine cover seating area is by far the best seating for the crew to sit with coffee in hand going offshore.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Bob, thanks for the extra info on the cap...beat me to the questions!!

Here is the only step(s) I could find at Garelick:

Lots of ladders, but I'm probably looking in the wrong place on their site.
Carl

Post by Carl »

mike ohlstein wrote: I've never seen any 5" tube that wasn't just sheet metal.

The next standard size up is 6", which is huge.

Well then here you go Mike, tubing bigger then 5" that's not just sheet metal

Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Regarding the aluminum, local guy has 4" and 3" od pipe, but lists it as schedule 40, or less than 0.25"....thick enough? Going tomorrow to have him cut the pieces. Just have to find the flange (I can't imagine there is a lot of space for a >5" flange?). Hopefully going to the coast this weekend to take a look at what all I need to do to get ready for this.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Rickyea that photo is not the one. look on the bridge of any large flybridge fishing boat . they will have two bridge chairs on the bride the foot rest is what we are using for a step.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Got it, found some pics but can't get to photobucket from this new computer to post what I found...all I saw was 2.75" which would clearly work w/ a 3" pole.

https://www.amazon.com/Garelick-Eez-750 ... B00KCFTZ2M
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Carl wrote: Well then here you go Mike, tubing bigger then 5" that's not just sheet metal
Not bigger than..... just 5" id. Yes, they do make it. Mostly it's well casing. No threads, all weld. (I worked in a plumbing and heating wholesale warehouse for 3 years) Even 3" is rare. Mostly used for fence post. Standard sizes (ignoring small stuff) were always 1" 1.25" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 4" 6" 8" and up. No 3 5 or 7. It just never existed. At least not when I was a counter man.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

mike ohlstein wrote:
Not bigger than..... just 5" id. Yes, they do make it. Mostly it's well casing. No threads, all weld. (I worked in a plumbing and heating wholesale warehouse for 3 years) Even 3" is rare. Mostly used for fence post. Standard sizes (ignoring small stuff) were always 1" 1.25" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 4" 6" 8" and up. No 3 5 or 7. It just never existed. At least not when I was a counter man.

5-1/2" x 1/4" wall DOM
5-3/4 x 3/8" wall DOM
6" x 1/2" wall DOM

All standard tube sizes...just in a different industry. Same for 3 & 7" and a lot of in betweens.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Interesting
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

...and just because I say it, doesn't make it true. Similar to same offerings in aluminum and SS.

Now are all the sizes stocked and local, that is another story that has been plaguing my business the last couple years.