OT: 33 Egg

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

OT: 33 Egg

Post by STeveZ »

After two years our B28 is looking much better. So naturally its time to think about moving up. I don't have a strong desire to do so but my family demands more room and comfort for overnight or multi-night trips. The 33 Bert is certainly under consideration, however the 33' Egg Harbors seems to be a good match with its forward stateroom, bunk beds + couch for sleeping. I've heard nothing but good things about Egg Harbors and my in-laws had a few with no complaints. I respect the knowledge and opinions of the guys here and would like to hear any intel you might have on the late 70's fiberglass 33 Eggs. We'd be using it for 1-2 hour overnight runs on the Chesapeake. Thanks in advance.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

My experience is that it's a good family cruising boat. Know that engine access is under the floorboards of the salon. Based on what it's powered with, you'll have to think about how often you'll have to disrupt things for tuning and maintenance. If it's diesel powered, there'll be less than if a gasser. Cockpit wise it should be OK. A stable fishing platform for your waters. No beast, but a nice boat. Walter
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

There is one @ Ferry Point Marina/ Anne Arundel Cty. in the yard. Its out of the water and has some obvious issues with the original flyridge-hull is fiberglass. Rumour has it's less than 10k. Has a for sale sign on it. These are ok for the bay but the flat bottom isn't so good for offshore.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Eggs have always liked the Egg 33 and was in fact looking at them when I stumbled on my B35. The Egg had rotten stringers and the broker said 'Have you thought of a Bertram, got one the owner just dropped the price on' and that's when I bought my B35 and haven't been sorry,wish I had bunks, but not sorry.

I'm a Bertram fan converted through ownership and experience. Had I known more about them before I bought mine I may have went for the B33 Flybridge, similar layout to the B35 but a shorter cockpit, taller profile and 2nd stateroom. Check out http://www.bertram33.com for more info on the B33's.

As for what I know about Egg 33's, they are a little slower than most boats and I belive burn around 30gph to run 20kts with bigblocks. From the early 70's to around 78 they had fg hulls and wood topsides. After 78 they were all fiberglass outside. I think the later models have both hull and build quality improvements over the early ones, though they go for a little more.

Give the B33's (both styles) a hard look. I don't think you'll find much difference in price between them and the Eggs. You'll see for yourself the differences and can decide what they mean to you. Also a 33 anything with gas motors will be expensive to run and have ethanol concerns with tanks and motors.

If you can, attend the Atlantic City for the Rendezvous in July it's a good chance to talk with folks and check out boats. Out of the past 3 events we've driven up twice and took the boat onece. This year I'm planning on tanking the boat, but not sure I'll finish the repower in time and if not we'll drive up.

br, JohnD
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I knew someone who had one back in the early '80's. The interior layout with the front queen bed and the large salon with galley was one of the better ones I have seen in that size boat. It was a beautiful boat. I don't know any particulars other than the fact that they kept it for a number of years and ran all over the Bay regularly. They had the financial ability to have any boat they wanted.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
John F.

Post by John F. »

I looked at a couple of 33 Eggs before I bought my B31. The older 33s (81 and earlier) have a nice cruising layout, and are usually powered with small blocks--everything from 318 Mopar to 350 GMs. If you're going gas, I'd get one with 350s. Lots of soft deck, window rot, and flybridge issues, even on the '78-'81 boats, so choose wisely. There's a later 33 (78-81) on the Bay with 3116 Cats that's been for sale forever--I think I last saw it listed at $45K or so (down from $80K or so). Might be worth a look. I'd get a 33 Egg for Bay cruising. If Bertrams are out, and you want to spend a little more, look at the mid 80s 2nd Gen. 36 Hatts, and 35 Vikings. Not for me, but they're supposed to be pretty good boats. What you really should do is go for the 37 Bertram--it'll have the room you need and be a Bertram (but they're tough on fuel and a whole different league price-wise--out of my league).

John F.

I went through all this, and decided to get (and stay with) a 31 because that's what I really wanted, and get a room when we cruise if it comes to that. Glad I did; we cruise a few nights a year, and having a cruising boat for 5% overnighting and 95% fishing or daytripping isn't worth it.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

steve
that could be my old egg. sold it to guy down there, the only issuses i have with them are they rock like hell , and you have to very carefull of the bridge struture its all wood and a night mare to mainetain, mine was completly west systemed over, and also windows leak like a hell, front and side.my own 2 cents stay away from them look at the 33 bert you will have less headaches
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Check out the 33 Bertrams. I own a 1988 Bertram 33 FBC with 315 Cummins and we really like the boat. It has 2 staterooms , a nice sofa in the lounge area and a tournament style flybridge. My cockpit is smaller than the sport fisherman but our cabin is larger. We go tuna fishing and don't have any trouble. If I only fished I would want the sport fisherman but we cruise a little, do some fishing, anchor out with the grand kids. The FBC really suits our needs. Buzz
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Head on over to Bertram33.com and have a look. If you like the 2 stateroom aspect of the 33 Egg then look at the Bertram 33 FBC's (see pic in my signature). Same essential layout (v-berth, 2 bunk stateroom on stbd side, head to port, galley up, big salon).

There's no comparison. Better construction, deeper v, more weight. Just a better boat all the way around. Period. End of discussion.

The 33 Berts don't get enough credit on this site.
Regards,

Doug L.
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Here's the boat that looks tempting. Looks good in the pics, diesel power, fully loaded, low low price.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... =13704&url

And yes, I am fully aware of the axiom that begins "If it sounds too good to be true...".
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

nope not my old one, is the bridge wood on the 79
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

I think they were all fiberglass by then. I think. I guess I should just take a day and drive out to Salisbury and take a look.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

It may be worth a ride to check it out.

The 3116's have a bad wrap, just or not, and may be the reason the price is so low. They had issues with injectors/rack adjustment and soft blocks I believe "FAP" was the stamping to look for. If these issues have been addressed, they seem to be good motors.
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Repowered 10 years ago and only 450 hrs ? Makes you wonder. The fact that its in a covered slip is good. Be sure to have an engine survey done on those cats. Not running them is worse than a lot of hours on diesels.
Looks nice in the pictures.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
John F.

Post by John F. »

That's the one I was talking about, its been for sale for a long time. If you look, it has a different FB set-up than most 33s. Its like a small command or tournament bridge. Good luck. I agree that the 33 Berts are a better boat, but they are a jump up in price and need lots more power to run. Egg 33s can cruise in high-teens on small blocks.

John F.
scot

Post by scot »

Not sure what I think about a boat with a Persian rug?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

I investigated the Egg 33 before I bought my B33. I believe it was in the Powerboat Bible that pre-81 was a different hull shape. That made it a roller & a 14 > 16 kt boat. After 1981 they were much better speed wise.
I was also told that even up to the late 80's windows & cabin sides were subject to leaking & rot. Also under the cap piece from the bridge down to the cockpit gunwhale was very susceptible to rot.

If you are aware of these items & are not scared off, then you can use them as bargaining chips.
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Al,

You are correct. In 1982 Egg started using the molds from the late 70's Pacemaker 33's. These boats were similar in size, design, and layout to the Bertram 33 FBC's though they are modified v's as opposed to the deep-v's in the 33 Berts. They do, however, have much more deadrise than the earlier 33 Eggs.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... ice=&cint=
Regards,

Doug L.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Nice pic Al.. you almost look better here than in person!
Rich Albert

Post by Rich Albert »

STeveZ,

The link you posted is now broken, but the boat in question sounds like the boat my brother-in-law went to looked at. Same engines and same town, he also had a survey done and was told the top house was all rot.

If you're still interested I can see if he has a copy to send you.

He ended up buying an egg, just not that one.

/Rich