Engine Rust Problems? Painting? Pulling?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Captain Decent

Engine Rust Problems? Painting? Pulling?

Post by Captain Decent »

Anyone have problems with rust on their engines? My engines have a fair amount of rust from what appears to be spray from the vents. I have very large grille type vents and until recently had nothing to block spray. I have since installed foam. Is this a normal problem with these boats and/or inboard diesels?

It’s enough rust to where I’m considering pulling the engines and trannys. I am debating right now wether to clean them up and Maybe coat the rust in a product like ospho and spray painting what I can for this year and then pulling the engines next winter and totally refurbing them. Not sure how big a job that is but seeing as these are low hour diesels that run awesome I figure it’s probably a good move. Thoughts?

Any products that you can recommend? Should I spray paint or maybe brush on hammerite?

Is there any particular process for painting an entire engine other than the obvious of degreasing and painting?
Carl

Re: Engine Rust Problems? Painting? Pulling?

Post by Carl »

That post makes me feel inadequate and lazy arse...

Took me a year...maybe 4 to decide if I was should pull hoses and manifold as they were done by me 20 years ago or buy new to me motors.

Kudos to you! Pulling motors to clean and paint...way beyond my aspirations,

Sounds like your similar to a bud of mine...I used to use his old oil for my motors.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Spray the whole thing with corrosion X tomorrow and let it sit for a month. Then go back with a bucket full of rags and wipe the rust off. Respray with cx once or twice a year. My 18 season old diesels look pretty good...... You can spray it on anything, though I would avoid the fan belts.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Captain Decent

Post by Captain Decent »

I was thinking get it painted and looking good and then spray with corrosion x. Didn’t really want to spray CX right over the rust.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

It will creep under the rust and let you wipe the rust away. You have nothing to lose by trying (other than time).
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tough painting while in the boat boat it has been done. Mask everything well, cover the hoses and wiring and clean up the engine as best as possible. You can use a rust converter in the areas that are really bad. Then prime and spray.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

You are playing with my mental stability again...

Those b@st@rds want $25 to ship me a single spray bottle, which is much over the spray cost. Amazon even refuses to ship as sprays are ....dangerous material? potential airplane threat? I don't know.
If I have two bottles (hand trigger) delivered to you, could anyone care to ship them over to me? By donkey, or pigeon, I don't care, so long as it’s normal cost...I will reimburse you immediately.
I will also issue a travel directive with the ministry of foreign affairs in that this person will be getting preferential treatment at customs, for life, in case they visit the country!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

What are you looking for? We even have trouble over here shipping spray paint. Has to go ground. I guess the cargo hold is not at the right pressure and the cans blow up. I did a quick search, looks like even one of us trying to mail you paint would have jump through hoops.

There used to be a time it was easy. First you have to determine if Greece will accept the paint, deemed a Hazordous material. Then you have to try and get FedEx to ship it. I am not sure, but I don't think it will be any cheaper if we were to mail it to you.

I will see if I can find out more.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Captain Decent

Post by Captain Decent »

Yannis, can’t you take the specs to a local paint supplier and get it mixed? The paint I get from my yanmar dealer is just that. Yanmar gray packaged by a local paint supplier
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Captain Decent,

Thank you for the advice but it’s not the Yanmar paint I’m looking for. It’s corrosion x spray!

Tony,

You're right. In the past there didn’t seem to be a problem to ship sprays overseas. But something has changed meanwhile and suddenly they consider that sprays will all start exploding in plane soots like bombs...

That is why I considered the variant with the hand trigger, the one that looks like a garden mist sprayer, that looks like it is NOT pressurized and, therefore, should be no threat to airplanes. If you look in their products you’ll see there is this larger plastic container (measured in fl.oz, which I’m not sure how much it is) that looks a bit bigger than the ordinary pressurized spray bottle. I was thinking of two of those, so that if I’m to go through this ordeal, at least do it with a quantity that will last me a couple of years. Oh well...I’d be glad if it can be done, thanks anyway!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

I think that the Post Office will take it if it's packaged and marked properly. Probably best to just buy the liquid and use it in your own sprayer.

The PO regs are here:

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxd.htm#ep292752

And the CX MSDS is here:

http://fedcom.ae/store/wp-content/uploa ... nx-sds.pdf

The flashpoint of 270°F makes it pretty safe.

I'll see if I can get more information later today.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you, Mike.

Yes, the sprayer, it is sold in a plastic sprayer, this is what I was referring to.
Otherwise, to buy it in liquid form you have to buy a gallon which is expensive both to buy and ship.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

The Post Office will not ship Hazardous materials out of the US.

Yannis

Thought you wanted spray. That can be done. I would do that. I have to order it and then package it up and send it but unless we can not get it into Greece, like customs would go crazy, but not a problem. Since the US Post office would not do that, it would probably have to be FedEx. We need to find out what FedEx says.

Maybe Mike will come up with the answer first, but we will check it out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

The only thing that has to be done is to check with either fedex or the post office or anyone else, if they would ship the LIQUID form in the sprayer bottle. Two of those.
Once we have this answer, I will order it, pay for it, have it shipped to you (or anyone else who might care to give me a hand) and without any repackaging just change the address on the box and ship it over to me. What’s important is to find a reasonable shipping fee knowing that I’m not in any hurry, otherwise they charge an arm and a leg.
I appreciate your time and effort on this matter...

PS: Can anyone vouch that the liquid form specs are identical to those of the spray ? Also, I’m seeing two types, the regular and the HD. Which one is better? Thanks.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have bought it both ways. Seems to be the same as regular CX.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Captain: I have had good luck with the POR 15 engine paints.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

The HD is very thick. Depends on what you are using it for. If you spraying an engine down use the regular. I sometimes use the HD on areas that tend to be real damp, such as my transmission linkage.

Lets see what we can find out., I will reach out to Fedex to see what their story is.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks, Tony, I appreciate it.