B31 HARD TOP. done with pictures. (need advice)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

seamonkeyfez

B31 HARD TOP. done with pictures. (need advice)

Post by seamonkeyfez »

hey y'all

Happy New Year everyone,

finally my boat is coming together... the last big job is almost done (the hard top).

my concern is

1- is the bracing strong enough to withstand years of tough seas?
2- should there have been a ring brace for the hard top to sit on?
3- should I add bracing from the gunnels all they way to the top (like the Bertram 35)?

I will fish of the coast of Liberia West Africa it gets rough here & the last thing I want is a wiggly loose top.

https://ibb.co/prJ21Nj
https://ibb.co/9Z4wjwF
https://ibb.co/0fFHg1m

thank you

SeamonkeyFEZ
Fez,
kross1

Re: B31 HARD TOP. done with pictures. (need advice)

Post by kross1 »

That looks like a beautiful boat. I don’t know about the bracing because I have a 28 but it sure does look good.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Looks very well done and not too big to be catching a lot of air.
However, I would put backing plates behind all points instead of just washer and nut.

We do not use aluminum over here (I really have no idea why, we mostly use SS tubing). This past summer one of the four 22 mm tubes that hold my bimini (plus solar panels structure), the aft port one, broke like a stick during a bad weather trip, I had to tie up a speargun’s arrow, like a casting, alongside the two broken pieces to return home.
I learned that it is not so much the strength of the tubing itself, rather the flexing of the fiberglass panels onto which the structure is mounted that is the culprit.
I changed both rear tubes into 25mm after this, not that it will solve the problem 100% but it gives me more security thinking about it!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Agree with Yannis that backing plates will will spread the load (stress) over a broader area and strengthen the base supports.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I meant to add that your boat looks great and the top looks very well-proportioned; congratulations on a great job!
neil

Post by neil »

Boat looks great ,love the treasure reels
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Top looks great. Nice looking boat.

The supports lookmmgood. As said, backing plates to spread the load.

I think part of your concern is the fiberglass top itself. Since I am not an authority on fiberglass and without knowing how the top was made, like how thick it is, the weight, i would not venture a guess as to jow would hold up. Does the forward section flex at all? If it does then i would think it could be a problem.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
seamonkeyfez

Post by seamonkeyfez »

thank you all for your replies,

definitely backing plates make a huge difference...

I also will check the flexing of the top itself.

have a good day

fez
Fez,
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Fez-
The boat looks great!
I noticed the steps to the flybridge are through bolted at the top. Do those steps help provide support for the bridge? Might you share how they are anchored on the lower end?
Congratulations.
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Fez,

As it shows in the pics it looks almost impossible for the top to flex. It is small and looks sturdy enough.

What will flex is the fiberglass where the supports are bonded on the boat.
On the 28, and there is no reason to believe that the 31 is any different, what flexes most is the coaming forward of the flybridge, then are the flybridge sides and last is the flybridge floor, in this order.
I think your set up is well built and shouldn't worry about it.

What you should watch is that when the whole assembly moves right or left, it does not interfere with the flybridge bannister around it, because if it does it will create a stress point with different dynamics and one of the two might crack or snap like mine did, so watch that starboard side’s clearance of the alum tube and the fb surrounding SS tubing.
Good luck.

PS: I love that navy blue hull color. However when and if, one day, I change my hull color I will definitely switch to that all boring white. Why? I simply refuse to become a slave of blue...waxing, rinsing, protecting etc.
Also, and this is VERY important too, the blue hull cabin is 5 degrees warmer than the white one...this in an already extra warm Greek summer is too much for my body to tolerate any more!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Fez,
What I see really flexing a lot, is that immistakable bow stop and winch pad.
NOT! Please enjoy this boat she’s a real head turner!
seamonkeyfez

Post by seamonkeyfez »

Rocky wrote:Fez,
What I see really flexing a lot, is that immistakable bow stop and winch pad.
NOT! Please enjoy this boat she’s a real head turner!
Rocky! hope all is well

thank you always for your support.

do you know exactly what year she was made?

thank you

Faris
Fez,
seamonkeyfez

Post by seamonkeyfez »

Stephan wrote:Fez-
The boat looks great!
I noticed the steps to the flybridge are through bolted at the top. Do those steps help provide support for the bridge? Might you share how they are anchored on the lower end?
Congratulations.
Stephan

steps are a big support..

have a look

https://ibb.co/hxz0bCn
Fez,
seamonkeyfez

Post by seamonkeyfez »

Yannis wrote:Looks very well done and not too big to be catching a lot of air.
However, I would put backing plates behind all points instead of just washer and nut.

We do not use aluminum over here (I really have no idea why, we mostly use SS tubing). This past summer one of the four 22 mm tubes that hold my bimini (plus solar panels structure), the aft port one, broke like a stick during a bad weather trip, I had to tie up a speargun’s arrow, like a casting, alongside the two broken pieces to return home.
I learned that it is not so much the strength of the tubing itself, rather the flexing of the fiberglass panels onto which the structure is mounted that is the culprit.
I changed both rear tubes into 25mm after this, not that it will solve the problem 100% but it gives me more security thinking about it!

good day!

backing plates are in, solid as a rock!

https://ibb.co/H7nZgNr
Fez,
Carl

Post by Carl »

You may have mentioned before...but looks like your going with outboards, or some very skinny inboards. l like the use of space between the ol' motor box space.

Looks good!
Just remember securing to the bridge structure firmly with backing plates is a great idea...
Provided of course the bridge is strong enough and attached well enough to the boat. I'm not overly familiar with the FBC...just thinking of some brands I am familiar with
seamonkeyfez

Post by seamonkeyfez »

Carl wrote:You may have mentioned before...but looks like your going with outboards, or some very skinny inboards. l like the use of space between the ol' motor box space.

Looks good!
Just remember securing to the bridge structure firmly with backing plates is a great idea...
Provided of course the bridge is strong enough and attached well enough to the boat. I'm not overly familiar with the FBC...just thinking of some brands I am familiar with

Carl,

has there been any issues with FBC owners & bridge streangth?

yes I have outboards... the inlet I will be heading out from is extremely shallow & I need the trim.

the area is now occupied with two small boxes. one is live well & the second is a grill with storage under.

both boxes can be used as benches:

recent photos below

https://ibb.co/j4YGPzh

https://ibb.co/MpBC0t6
Fez,
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hi again everyone,
And Happy New Year as well. Fez the boat is a 70. Also as the great Capt Pat has said in the past the Sport Fisherman models ( in which this one is) has by design more enforcement in the bridge and areas so the open space can be spanned without racking and minimal movement. It’s quite strong enough for that top as long as it doesn’t go beyond a half tower or your setup. No worries about that part. Backing plates as mentioned and your good.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Sorry, I did not mean to imply any shortcomings of the 31 Bridge.

When I said I was not familiar with, that is exactly what I meant. Others may be coming off the flybridge as well...I never paid much attention to the construction of the bridge or what is being attached to them as I have an Express.