South Jersey Shark Tournament

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

South Jersey Shark Tournament

Post by John F. »

Charlie Haws and Tom Ward were on the board with a Thresher, but have since gotten knocked off. Nice fish, and a nice pic. on the site below. Congrats to a couple of the Faithful fishing on Tom's 38 Bert "Rumrunner." Good luck to the Rumrunner and Crows Nest crews (and Joe Z. and the Gina L. if he's fishin', and any other Bertram boys).

John F.

http://www.sjmarina.com/
randall

Post by randall »

good job...bet they were excited on the way in
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Crows Nest got skunked and cracked an exhaust manifold. Got some Thresher steaks from Charlie's 320lber going on the grill tonight. Had Harv and John D fishing with me. We caught blue fish till we were tired of the sight of them and had some deep shark (120 ft) nibbles but none to the boat. Saw Joe Z/Gina L. on the run in Friday and fished with Fred Haas/ Catequipted on Saturday. Missed Jimmy G and some of the other usual suspects this year.
Charlie Haws talked me into putting some bars stop leak into my port engine. The crack in the manifold was visibly obvious and was leaking several gallons per hour. We did it and I made the 120nm trip home without adding an ounce and the engine ran cool the entire way. Left Cape May canal @ noon and was in the local tiki bar here on the creek @ 4:30. Charlie has an awesome series of pictures of his two hour fight with the thresher on his laptop hopefully he will post them.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Doug, glad you made it back ok. Sorry we didn't think of the BARR's and get some on Friday. It would have made the run to & from the fishing grounds a little easier on Sat. Not to mention kept me a little dryer.

Thanks again for a good Tournament, I'm already looking forward to next year.

br,
JohnD
Charlie

325 Pound Thresher

Post by Charlie »

Had a great time at South Jersey Shark again this year. What make it fun is all the Bertram owners/friends. Larry, Tom's son, took all the pics and ran the boat for the last 45 minutes of the fight. Tom and Larry did a great job of keeping the fish off the swim platform. The fish took us for a ride over two miles of ocean ending with a 12ga rifle slug to the brain. I have the pics I just never learned how to post.
I just turned 60 and I was starting to dread old age. Yes two hours with the rod doubled over was tiring; but I was ready to go again in an hour or so. Maybe 60 is the new 50. I sure hope so.
Charlie

325 Pound Thresher

Post by Charlie »

Had a great time at South Jersey Shark again this year. What make it fun is all the Bertram owners/friends. Larry, Tom's son, took all the pics and ran the boat for the last 45 minutes of the fight. Tom and Larry did a great job of keeping the fish off the swim platform. The fish took us for a ride over two miles of ocean ending with a 12ga rifle slug to the brain. I have the pics I just never learned how to post.
I just turned 60 and I was starting to dread old age. Yes two hours with the rod doubled over was tiring; but I was ready to go again in an hour or so. Maybe 60 is the new 50. I sure hope so.
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Charlie-send some pics to Capt Patrick and he can post them......
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

nice fish to charlie tom and crew
neil

Post by neil »

good job tom . we took 2nd place in the brielle bass tournament with a 37.8 lbs jr took most of the kids divsions
Thums Up2

Post by Thums Up2 »

We fished the tourney too. Didn't do to great over all. Although, we had a White around 1200-1500 about 14ft long, come to the boat. Amazing fish tried to get it to stay around. Had no interest in bluefish, I gues only mammals. I suggested we throw the smallest guy in to see if it would eat until I realized I was the smallest guy! In 20 years of sharking this is only the second I have seen and the largest. Truely amazing!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Doug,

Glad Charlie's advice worked for your trip home. Did the cold cuts last long enough? You forgot to mention my dad on board as well. Anyway, somehow, without the mishaps, it wouldn't have been an adventure. Maybe next year, all systems will be functioning properly and we'll just have a boring trip catching some sharks....maybe. Anyway, gearing up for a 3 day work week this week and another shot at the sharks, this time with El Guapo aboard the Irish Wake, in the Freeport Hudson Anglers tournament this Saturday out of my inlet. Maybe home field advantage will work in my favor for a change???
Harv
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

what took 1st place, i heard reel games took a big thrasher 5 and change
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

A 590 theser caught by Reel Games, two boats tied for heaviest Mako at 280! You can go to sjmarina.com for more details.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thanks thums up, ive known the owner of reel games for years, very good fisherman. in my opinion probably the best in the freeport area.
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

I never heard of them down here before but they really proved they can do it! Good crew...I hope they come back next year!