Head liner material

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

WAC

Head liner material

Post by WAC »

Wondering if anyone knows a source for the original type headliner material on my 1972 31. I am going to pull the ceiling to install my new helm seats and plan on refinishing the wood trim and would like to re-skin the ceiling. Not interested in installing vinyl or anything like that just want the same look as it is easy to take care of and durable. Also don't want to add to the lack of height as I already have to slouch to fit in the cabin.
Any help would be appreciated.
Wayne Copeland
1972 Bertram 31 Flybridge Cruiser
1983 Boston Whaler Montauk
Project addict...
Tony Meola

Re: Head liner material

Post by Tony Meola »

Try Sailrite. Not sure they have what you want but you will have a large choice of material.

https://www.sailrite.com/
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

There is a company in the UK, morlanduk.com, that makes a thin 3mm ply, already covered with a thin textured vinyl (like if it was painted - look for 3mm textured vinyl plywood), it’s rigid but also pliable so you don't have to pull the edges to make it look straight. You make a cardboard pattern and then you copy it on the ply.
I don't know if they have a representative in the US but this idea of a thin ready made cladding is good for lining and is easy to put in place using the already existing battens.
Last edited by Yannis on Nov 16th, '19, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Wayne--I replaced my headliner several years ago, it was simple. Remove the trim and save it, and use the old headliner for a pattern. I cut my new one from 1/4" ply and had a marine upholsterer glue a yacht fabric over it and back up it went. Before you take the old headliner down think through any changes you may want to make to improve function for switches, wire runs, VHF etc. In retrospect I would have moved my VHF to a simple, more practical location but, since the holes are cut in the new headliner it's gonna stay where it is.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Wayne-
My headliner was wrapped in a tight canvas that had been painted. I used a heat gun to remove the canvas and then put white Formica which was easy to trim with a small router. The holes for the screws that hold the headliner up we getting slack so while the headliner was down I drilled them out and epoxied in bungs.
I've had a few seasons since this project and am pleased with being able to have a secure bite for the screws and the Formica is easy to clean up.
Good luck,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
John F.

Post by John F. »

I used the foam/vinyl stuff from sailrite. I remade the panels out of 1/4" ply fit tight to the edge and eliminated the teak trim.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
WAC

Post by WAC »

Thanks guys for the reply's. Sorry for the delay just too much work and no free time.
I believe I looked at sailrite but was trying to figure out what to get as I am not sure what would be similar.
The only thing I think I want to change is the access hatch as it is slightly warped. Everything else is good. This will eliminate some holes from previous owners accessories and such.
I though about using a laminated material that I carry in house at my office. Flexible plastic core like ABS with thin epoxy coated aluminum on both sides. Rigid but will conform and is bright white epoxy coated.
Thinking it might be too white but I get it cheap.
I will post pics of whatever I do.
Thanks!!!
Wayne Copeland
1972 Bertram 31 Flybridge Cruiser
1983 Boston Whaler Montauk
Project addict...