Flybridge Windshield

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Captain Decent

Flybridge Windshield

Post by Captain Decent »

I notice that some Bertrams have a forward slanted windscreen and some, like mine, have a swept back windscreen. What is the difference in performance?

I don’t like running with canvas up so I’m usually dressed in winter gear and goggles. I’m wondering if the forward slant would help divert wind better or maybe help with spray to some degree.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Flybridge Windshield

Post by mike ohlstein »

Most purpose built foul weather boats will have the forward slant windows and/or windshield, and most consumer oriented boats won't. They aren't considered aesthetically pleasing. They look too commercial, I guess.

But they reduce glare, add knuckle room to part of your dashboard, shed water well, divert spray away from your face, and are less likely to be blown in by a large wave. There is no downside whatsoever. If you find someone who will make a good one, let me know......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The forward slanting windshield will certainly deflect wind off your face while you are running assuming you are seated. How to calculate the length and angle of the windshield to where your head is based on your seat height may be a bit of a challenge and you'd want to get some input from someone who has one on one of our boats. Seems to be a pretty popular west coast option, but maybe further south then the PNW. I don't think the forward slanting windshield will do much to keep you dry in nasty weather as I've taken some pretty good hits to the face that went well over where a windshield would be.

The stock windshield doesn't do much more then keep spray off of your switches and gauges or keep the wind off your hands on the wheel, I removed mine. My Isinglass has a large U shaped opening in the front and only comes around the sides to where the two curves on the bridge meet. For me it's enough to keep me dry and with the front opened really not a lot to block visibility. Even with the front closed I get a good breeze up there while drifting, in the summer months I can remove it completely but I haven't found the need. I'm fishing in November off Long Island in sweatshirt and jeans. The year I took off the old canvas I had to run in complete foul weather gear and it was not enjoyable.

My guess is the forward slanting windshield would allow you to ditch the goggles but not the foul weather gear.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I have a forward slanted windscreen on my 28. It does a great job of diverting the wind over your head, but does nothing to stop spray or rain--still need the goggles.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Back when Stone Harbor Yacht Sales in NJ existed, they modified all the wind screens on the 31's they sold. They had an additional piece made that attached to the top edge of the original windscreen and it added a forward slant at the top of the wind screen. They claimed it kept the spray off of you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Tony, I had that after-market plexiglass modification on Island Girl and it worked great. It spoiled the airstream so it and light spray was forced up and over my head while seated at the helm. It also kept my face from getting windburned. On hot days I would just stand up at the helm to get a face full of air.
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

I also have the forward slanting windshield that mounts on top of the original 31 windshield. In addition I have a louan pattern for it. To mount it all you need are small stainless angle brackets, that attach to both original windshield and the addition. It is tinted made out of plexiglas. If I knew how to post a pic or two I’d show you my boat and the pattern, and off course lend to whomever. Itz a nice addition both in looks and functionality.
EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tommy

Did your boat originate out of NJ. They were the only ones who did that to the 31 back then. We did not buy off of them because their pricing was crazy. We bought our from what was Nautical Yacht sales out of NJ. Old Al Losee and old friend of Richard Bertram and the Grandfather to a girl I went to school with. Believe it or not, he was the first dealership Richard Bertram gave out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Could the 25 slanted windshield fit on the 31?
Perhaps with some modifications?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Yes Tony. Mine was built in 1973 and bought by a Gentlemen who owned a vehicle repair facility on Drum Point Rd. In Brick, in addition a small well protected Marina in Manasquan. My Dad and I bought the boat from him in August of 1986 for $49,000. He told us he paid $29,000. It now has it’s 4th set of motors as I have previously stated. Chris Carver made a pattern of that Angled piece for the windshield which I now have. We broke both windshields and blew out the enclosure 62 miles off coming home from the Hudson. Buried the bow in 6-8 following seas and had the one behind dump a pile of water over the transom. Slowed her down, duct taped what we could, put all three bilge pumps on manual, got straightened out and proceeded to Manasquan Inlet. Trivia, had a pile of Yellowfins too.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I found my boat in Brielle and it too had the added piece on the windshield------I am on my second replacement which I bought from Capt Pat which was the original design.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

EarleyBird wrote:Yes Tony. Mine was built in 1973 and bought by a Gentlemen who owned a vehicle repair facility on Drum Point Rd. In Brick, in addition a small well protected Marina in Manasquan. My Dad and I bought the boat from him in August of 1986 for $49,000. He told us he paid $29,000. It now has it’s 4th set of motors as I have previously stated. Chris Carver made a pattern of that Angled piece for the windshield which I now have. We broke both windshields and blew out the enclosure 62 miles off coming home from the Hudson. Buried the bow in 6-8 following seas and had the one behind dump a pile of water over the transom. Slowed her down, duct taped what we could, put all three bilge pumps on manual, got straightened out and proceeded to Manasquan Inlet. Trivia, had a pile of Yellowfins too.
Blowing out the windshield has always been my fear. Never took one over the stern, came close coming in Barnegat before they fixed it but I have found that these boats are pretty tough. Had a wave break under us coming in the inlet, the bow dove in up to the windshield, she hesitated a second, the bow pup up and she took off before the way that broke under us could come over the back. Those old big blocks never skipped a beat.

But that slanted windscreen originated out of Stone Harbor Yacht Sales.

By the way, ours is a 75, and we paid $39,000 for it new back in August of 75.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Captmas

Post by Captmas »

Where can I get a replacement windshield for my 76’ 28 Flybridge prefer the forward pitched one?
Thanks