Running gear- - Checked off

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Running gear- - Checked off

Post by Carl »

Weather and schedule have not let me finish the fiberglass work, so I moved onto dry fitting the running gear.

Other then having to trim the shaft length a bit, it all seems to fit. Shaft slides past rudder, wheels go on and off in the allotted space, I get my tip to hull clearance, dripless fits...I do have to lower the bulkhead cutout a little more as shaft coupler does quite make it over...but a sawzall and a few seconds will take care of that.

Overall happy with it, I'll pull and trim shaft length and then do a final assembly and install with my favorite thing...silicone. I can make a mess with silicone in so many ways its not funny. My favorite was putting in a transducer. Did a pretty neat job with silicone...right up to the point I realized I mixed up the wedges and had to take it all out. I wiped what I could then pushed it all out the bottom...onto a pile of silicone...in a rocky dirty yard. The more I tried to clean it the worse it got. Every inch of that cable and transducer was sticky and gritty when I was done.
Maybe this time will be different...but I'm not counting on that.

https://imgur.com/oLBCiqk

https://imgur.com/HGpaUak
Yannis

Re: Running gear- - Checked off

Post by Yannis »

Good!

Now lets hope its gonna be good weather for the trials!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Carl-
That looks freakin' awesome from here
Those shaft logs Look like Capt. Patrick's work (Sorry, couldn't think of a higher compliment).
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I hope you have a good machine shop to cut the shafts. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Stephan wrote:Carl-
That looks freakin' awesome from here
Those shaft logs Look like Capt. Patrick's work (Sorry, couldn't think of a higher compliment).
Best,
Stephan

Thank you. Captain Patrick is the gold standard. I used the Captains instructions and guidance from his Building Tips page. While I know they are beefy and strong, they will need some sanding, shaping and fairing before we go in for a close up picture. That is after I put one more layer of glass on the Port side
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

I hope you have a good machine shop to cut the shafts. LOL

Odd, lots of people telling me that...

Think I found someone who can get it done for me.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

As you know I am joking but they are probably for real, not realizing what you do for a living.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

As you know I am joking but they are probably for real, not realizing what you do for a living.

Oh, they know...
and like from you, a friendly jab or dig is always welcomed.

My last marina I kept what I did for a living quiet outside of my close realm of friends.

But now I'm in a club where everyone knows what everyone does. For the most part that is good as I like helping out friends
and the group of guys are always way more then willing to lend a hand to others as well.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The problem with someone knowing what you do, is when someone who normally does not even say hello to you, approaches you for a favor and expects it to be free.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:The problem with someone knowing what you do, is when someone who normally does not even say hello to you, approaches you for a favor and expects it to be free.

That comes with the territory.

What is worse is the people who are willing to give me a share or their invention, all I have to do is develop it for them. I went down that road a couple times where its countless hours of my time machining parts to hear...nah, I wanted this to be a bit longer, shorter here, that should be...wait! Skip that, it won't work - how about...