Simrad replacement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Simrad replacement

Post by Yannis »

My old Simrad is about to end its life.

I do NOT care about a depthfinder or a fishfinder or anything else of that nature, except for the chart-plotter function.

So, instead of going out to buy a € 600-1000 new device (which will include functions I am oblivious to), a friend suggested to buy a cheap pad, around € 300, and get a navionics app. I currently have a navionics app on my iPad and am very happy with this function (I use it to navigate from place to place, shows me all shallows and danger zones, it even gives me info of other boaters that have visited areas before me, etc) only I don't want to ruin my existing iPad, hence the cheaper pad purchase which will mainly stay on the flybridge, probably in a waterproof sleeve.

Question: what do you guys think of this solution AND what about navionics....will it still be available in the future (as I keep receiving some strange messages about it not being updated anymore...etc).

Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Re: Simrad replacement

Post by Carl »

I expect to be the only doubter here as it seems to be the case with me and APPs.

They usually work absolutely great, the chart apps tend to have more features then the best up to date chart plotters.

"Usually" work great...BUT I have found APPs get sent out and We, the users, become the Guinea Pigs that debug them.

Update newly debugged APP only to find it fixed one feature I didn't like or use, only to screwed up two features that I did like and use.

Get comfortable with an APP and along comes a new "Update" to "fix a bug" but up comes a new interface.

I am very APPrehensive about relying on APPs

I am also not a fan of Cell reception...might be do to the fact I have had three places with lousy reception...Home and the marina. Anyplace outside those spots the company I am with rules...in one of those area's its spotty. It used to be work too...I was ready to cut Verizon loose, but they got that area covered.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I think it is okay for you to stick with the navionics app but if you are going to buy an additional cheaper Ipad to run it along with a waterproof case I'd be more inclined to spend a few extra bucks and get a dedicated marine unit.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Why do anything which would rely on cell data to operate? My buddy has the Navionics app on his phone for tides/AIS info off some fishing charter boats and I seem to remember the app needs to have access to cell data to plot location, etc. No data = you've got GPS coordinates and would need to plot them on a paper chart

Never-mind dealing with the device battery and need to keep it charged, knowing my luck I'd go out after forgetting to charge it along with forgetting the charging cable, the fog would roll in and the battery would die leaving me SOL.

Me personally, I would want a hardwired purpose built device for this work.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yannis,

Tend to agree with Peter unless you already have a capable device. By the time you pay for a cheap (it is cheap for a reason) tablet (IPad of almost any model will run you as much if not more than a chartplotter), waterproof case, a way to mount the tablet and case so it is readable while navigating, providing power to it to keep it charges, cell plan and is it sunlight viewable, might just be better of with a dedicated unit that comes with mounting, etc. Some of the decision may come down to viewing size. The larger the viewable size, you may able to get away with the tablet being cheaper especially if you already have the device. Then again as 12.9 inch Ipad Pro is $1,500.

As far as the app and chart, I have not played with the app on a tablet or phone but plan to. The charts are downloadable to the tablet but you need a cell capable device to obtain GPS positioning. WiFi only will get you approximate position.

Now if you had multiple boats and wanted to use the same device on all....

Good Luck!
Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I was under the impression that the GPS in an iPad works independent of cell service. Maybe I am misunderstanding but I know folks that crossed the pacific in a sailboat with an IPad as their main (but not only) chart plotter.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

New GPS units can be had fairly cheap. Not sure what you have access to over in Greece. Here is link to Garmin here in the US for their Factory Outlet.

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/39 ... ombos.html

Not sure what you want to spend, but if I were you I would get a cheap marine unit and a cheap IPAD (I pads are never cheap) and add the APP as a back up or for plotting your next escape while you are sitting at the dock sipping UZO.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The navionics app. works independent of cell service.
You download it at home, once, the rest is done by the gps inside the ipad.

I guess I have to do my math again...you're right, cheap pad plus waterproof case plus mounting element, could be close to just a new marine chartplotter.
Also, recharging could become an issue...I too sometimes forget to recharge and when I remember it’s a bit too late...
Sun glare too, although I think it’s bright enough to be clearly visible.

I’m intrigued though by the touch screen capability on the ipad. Are more modern chartplotters touch screen able? My old Simrad isn’t . I t’s way more practical to have a touch screen than have to scroll with the arrow buttons.

One last thing...to obtain a screen the size of a normal ipad on a marine chartplotter should be quite expensive.
Also, I don't think there exist pure chartplotters, they all come with the fishfinder feature which I don't care about but still have to pay for, unless I’m completely outdated, which is what I am really!!

Thank you guys, I hate having to go to the store and ask all these questions...I hate stores in general!

PS Tony, it’s ouzo!
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote:I was under the impression that the GPS in an iPad works independent of cell service. Maybe I am misunderstanding but I know folks that crossed the pacific in a sailboat with an IPad as their main (but not only) chart plotter.

Yes they have GPS built in, but running boat from under an aluminum tower can block my sky view at times. I have the same issue with the handheld GPS that I picked up to use when running from the tower. If I try to use in lower station it will loose the signal from time to time. Good part about the smart stuff is that it is assisted GPS so it can also use cell towers to locate when it can't see satellites...if I have cell service. Or in short for me, I need to plug into an external antenna for dependable GPS...or run from tower.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:
I’m intrigued though by the touch screen capability on the ipad. Are more modern chartplotters touch screen able? My old Simrad isn’t . I t’s way more practical to have a touch screen than have to scroll with the arrow buttons.
Except when the boats bouncing around and you touch what you didn't want to touch. Or its not mounted and you grab...
Yannis wrote:One last thing...to obtain a screen the size of a normal ipad on a marine chartplotter should be quite expensive.
Also, I don't think there exist pure chartplotters, they all come with the fishfinder feature which I don't care about but still have to pay for, unless I’m completely outdated, which is what I am really!!
I have had terrible luck with chartplotters and GPS units...aside from my 1st that was a Garmin handheld...still works fine. But water intrusion, dark screens, bugs just dying...all right outside the warrantee date. I hate spending money on these things...especially since I really only want to keep track of where I was when fishing...catch the same holes, drops. Nice to find wrecks and structure. Once in awhile Fog..

Anyway, yes Yannis if looking at the cheaper units they are almost all dual purpose depth and plotter units. I know...I have been buying them. Yes them as they just don't last for me. Maybe I should just leave them out like everyone else does...I take it down when done for the day. BUT if a dedicated unit is what you want...with a large screen...Hold on because they are available and they are pricey.
Me...I just flip to full screen chartplotter/GPS

[/quote]
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

A couple comments -

Ipads can be tough to view depending on the angle of the sun.

Touch screens are great at times but if it gets rough buttons are actually easier or if your hands get cold or wet.

I have not had an issue with the GPS signal under my tower which is canvas with a metal frame.

I have 2 7" touch screen Garmins and love them. The great thing is you can use the Active Captain App, which is fairly new, used to use multiple apps. It has a helm feature which mirrors your screen so you can use your phone or IPAD to control your unit or view it from the cabin. It also integrates the old Bluechart app, which is a free chart in the app based on what you already paid for with your unit. The app also has a social media aspect, kind of like yelp, if you are headed to a destination (anchorage, marina, gas dock) users will place comments about navigating to it or the service or the quality of the food. It also allows you to upgrade the software on the unit as well as plan routes or create waypoints at home and transfer them to the boat.

For Fisherman I may use the mirroring feature to drop my phone or Ipad in the cockpit or passengers to watch the fishfinder. It also allows me to sit at the dinnette and set up either of my units that are flush mounted. Lastly mirroring with my phone I can use it as a remote control to zoom in and out of the chartplotter while I kick back with my feet up on the helm.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Yannis,
With Ipads...only WiFi + Cellular model have a GPS chip. If you want to use a WiFi only model, would need to connect to your phone's WiFi hotspot if your phone has that capability and/or your cell plan allows. You could also buy an external USB or Bluetooth GPS (pretty cheap) or a Satcom system with WiFi.

Most Samsung tablets have built in GPS and some apps work without it being on WiFi and others don't. I think the Navionics Boaters app does work as there are no disclaimers and I haven't seen any complaints. However, I did find the below on the Navionics sight regarding Ipads:

- Wi-Fi model locates your approximate position if Wi-Fi connected
- Wi-Fi+3G model operates similar to iPhone with regard to GPS

Another app is iNavX. Never used it but seems to have good reviews.

Mark
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you guys.

Pete, all you're describing may be useful to some, to me it’s science fiction. I understand technology has evolved but I’m not a client for all that. I just want to go from A to B and have a reasonably dependable map in front of me.
Besides, with a tablet + navionics you can also preplan your route, calculate miles and fuel, see comments on areas, restaurants etc., that’s really all I want. A normal size tablet is way bigger than my 7” Simrad...to buy a similar size marine unit should be much more expensive. The problem is the accessories’ cost (w/p case, mounting element...) and of course the need to recharge. Wait a minute, if I can recharge it from a 12v cigar socket I already have one up on the bridge!

Carl and Mark, yes, a 3 or 4 G capable tablet does have a gps integrated, so cell connection is not needed. I don't have a tower so no problem there.

If I go marine unit, what brand is better? Im only interested in the chartplotter feature and would prefer touch screen. The bigger the better of course.

PS On a 28 you almost never have wet hands !!! As for cold hands, forget it...oh sh*t, you’re right, an ouzo glass renders your hands both wet and cold, damn, I shouldn't bring cold drinks upstairs!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

If going Ipad...waterproof(resistant) cases are available pretty inexpensive...some have straps and hand straps that look like a great way to secure. But if not...loads of mounts for little coin...but then need to find one that will hold a pad in a case too.

I'm sure things have changed..but back when I bought ipads for the shop floor I went through this. At that time getting a waterproof case was easy..finding one that charged while still being waterproof was pricey...the others had opening flaps, when closed waterproof. Open for charging...not waterproof. I got a few Otterboxs...didn't worry about being sealed tight...it was more holding them with wet hands the occasional splash...box worked fine.

Could even mount by sliding into a magazine type rack...you know the U shaped ones open on top, L shaped side rails.

Pete, I like the idea of mirror screening...external USB or Bluetoothe GPS...hmm I can use to see where I am in the marinas parking lot. Although now the tower is still off....
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

So, Pete and Carl and Mark and others,

From what you're saying, I see no fundamental objection in choosing tablet over marine device.
If one can solve water resistance plus mounting relatively cheap, and can also guarantee some sort of easy bridge charging, then it sounds like a tablet is a viable alternative (knowing I’m only interested in the charts feature and nothing else, not even remotely).

Do you guys have a preferred brand for a marine plotter in case I go in that direction? Not necessarily state of the art, with touchscreen if possible and the size of standard size iPad. If I can get cheaper by avoiding the depthsounder/fishfinder features it’s yet better.
Thanks.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The Garmin GPSMAP7608 is $1000 US without the sonar capabilities.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yannis,
Since you already have an iPad with cellular and Navioncs, why not roll with that. Take it home plan next route bring it to boat. Get a Scanstrut or Ram mount(prefer screw/bolt mount instead of suction but suction cups can work in right situation). They are durable especially with the right case. Finding a good selection of 7” or larger touch screen chart plotter below the 1000 euro mark will be few. Simrad (Go series) and Raytheon (Axiom) make a 7” touchscreen around 700. If you go too cheap you have to worry about quality of the screen. Their 9” screens are just over or around 1000. Peter mentioned the Garmin unit around 1000
Mark
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Pete and Mark,

Well, I do use my current iPad as a chartplotter but I figure I’m sometimes a bit too clumsy and I might damage it; besides, I often forget it up there and it’s not the perfect environment to keep an iPad on the bridge, so I figured a cheap € 2-300 tablet might do the work just as well without risking a lot.

On the other hand, € 1000 is more than what I think is a correct price for MY use, but then again, if I want big and touch screen that’s what I’ll have to pay...

A friend was selling to me a descent used marine plotter, don't remember the model, but it was already 3-4 years old and I feared that these bastards only supply software and parts for max. 7-8 years, so I thought if something goes wrong I wont be able to fix it.I know that a marine plotter is a better solution than a tablet, I’m trying hard to justify the cost differential to myself.

I might have to eventually settle for a 7” again, and forget about the luxuries of big touch screen, a descent 7” model should be around the cost of a cheap tablet (not iPad) plus case plus mounting bracket...give or take a 100 or so.
I’m keeping an eye for the sales period, shouldn't it logically be after the summer sometime?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

While I think using a tablet plotter should be sufficient. I tend to not worry about budget when it comes to safety; offshore life jackets, epirb, back up handheld radio and GPS in a ditch bag. A large compass taking up space that I never use along with local printed charts I never use. I tend to put a fixed mount GPS and depth finder into this category.

I think it’s quite reasonable to use a tablet as your main plotter with a large screen, having some kind of dedicated marine unit is a smart safety feature.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Pete,

Are there perhaps additional functions on the dedicated unit that render it a safety measure, as compared to the tablet?
Thanks.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It has a hardwired power source, ties into VHF to send gps coordinates during emergency calls. Is not prone to bugs or freezing and is highly viewable in all light conditions. Generally has depth capabilities which is essential to confirming your location on a chart.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks.
captain_RCC

Post by captain_RCC »

I use Aqua Map on my iPad and it's terrific... only 20$/year for NOAA vector charts and NMEA sensor over WiFi. They let to share the purchase for Android device too!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Captain.

We are very far away, anything American is not applicable...navionics europe was around € 30-35 per year, I’m very happy with it.
Thanks again.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

I use Navionics on my iPhone when I am on someone else's boat such as a head boat. I mark where we stop to fish and transfer the coordinates to my Simrad NSS8 when I get to my boat.

I really like the Simrad better than my last (smaller) Garmin.

https://www.facebook.com/enduranceb25/p ... =3&theater
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Joe, is that Simrad a 5” or a 7”?
Joseph Fikentscher

Yannis, 8".

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Joe.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yannis,

Joe's NSS8 is discontinued. Not to say you might be able to find a leftover somewhere. They NSS series comes in 7, 9, 12 and 16. Nice units that have both touchscreen and a keypad/knobs. But I think the cheapest you'll find the 7 may be around 1,200. Another cool thing is that you could mirror it on your iPad and have full controls on your iPad. To Peter's point back when I had a boat big enough to warrant a navigational unit, I had a Northstar 800. Why? Because it was the best loran at the time. Technology has changed and there are many good options. Just depends on your specific needs and wats.

Mark
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mark,

I also have a loran in a bin somewhere, from my old Whaler 26 Revenge.
You're right, big technological improvements since, however money spent back then was surplus money, now it’s turned into college fees, vacations etc of...other family members!

As for the mirroring function that Pete mentioned, to a smart phone or iPad, I really didn't know anything about, the more I think of it, the more I believe it’s another feature that I will never use. I’m too basic, I only want the maps, nothing else really.
(I also have a Furuno depth/fishfinder that was on the boat when I bought it. Removed the transducer, glassed the through hull, took the Furuno to the same bin as the loran...)
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

MISTAKE. Imagine if I said. I removed my lifejackets from the boat 5 years ago they were cluttering up the cabin Nobody has drowned it was a good decision for the way we use the boat. Taking safety precautions are part of being a responsible captain. Have no means to measure depth and your only means of navigation being a battery powered tablet could someday not be the wisest decision. Now if you’ve got all up to date paper charts and are skilled at navigating with a compass and a watch that’s a different story.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Mark,

however money spent back then was surplus money, now it’s turned into college fees, vacations etc of...other family members!
...some of the best vacations I never took.

Yannis wrote: I’m too basic, I only want the maps, nothing else really.
(I also have a Furuno depth/fishfinder that was on the boat when I bought it. Removed the transducer, glassed the through hull, took the Furuno to the same bin as the loran...)

Yannis I think your hung up on the same thing I was.

I have a depthfinder and only wanted a GPS.
Looking at the units available in what I considered affordable were all Combi units.

My thought was if they can put both in at that price...well if they took out the depthfinder stuff it should be available as a GPS standalone unit for less OR what I really hoped for if they took the depthfinder Stuff out they should be able to offer a larger display unit for the same price.

MY take after looking and looking and not finding... the display screen I have a feeling is the pricey part for the manufacturer...going up a display size is a price jump on their end. Today the electronics are cheap, plus I have to assume 95% of whats needed to make it a combi unit is already in the machine. So either they add a cheap hockey puck transducer to make it a depthfinder or they add a cheap antennae to make it a GPS.
Now the smaller display is a bit more alluring and they can sell a basic unit for more as a combi.

Anyway-- my short answer was to buy a combi unit and not use the depthfinder portion.

Hey...so why is there no need for having a depthfinder? Are there not channels and shoals to navigate? My charts are not always up to date as things can change in a storm...or ship hits and drags a buoy. At night I need a depthfinder to make sure I stay in the deeper channel as the chartplotter does not get me close enough. Off a few feet and my props are hitting bottom not something one wants to do anytime, but especially at night or in a fog. Chartplotters and GPS are also terrible in tight spots where your not moving...been there, done that in the fog between a sandbar as fast ferries running past.
Joseph Fikentscher

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Joe thanks, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Carl and Pete,

I understand you’re puzzled.
I’m here at an island, 3 weeks now, it’s impossible to move to my next destination, another island 32 nm north. It’s impossible to take my family or friends and go to the next bay around the corner. The sea is rough. So rough nobody moves. All of us boaters at the dock became friends... we all go eat supper together at the nearby taverna.
We may leave tomorrow, a phrase reproduced every evening for the last 20 evenings...

The Aegean can be nasty and it is the nastiest in August. Not that during the winter it cannot be, it’s just that in the winter we simply don't use our boats, so we don’t care.
No tides, no shoals, no buoys, no storms that change the sea bed, no channels except for a few that we might never have to go through. Also, no navigation after dusk. The sea is either deep, or, as you come near the land it progressively becomes shallow until you reach the beach. There, the water becomes green and you can easily tell if its too shallow or not. So you stop and drop anchor. Or, go to the port. No need for depthfinders, perhaps no need for compass either if you're used to the area. No fogs, no rain, no nothing, except for all the wind spectrum , from calm and very hot to, like now, windy and wavy. Baking sun, no humidity, and the occasional breeze is more than welcome. Now this breeze lately is a bit too much, 36 knots inside the bay we’re docked. We may leave tomorrow...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis- Hope you get to leave tomorrow and get the chance to do it all over again in another port.

I appreciate the explanation, funny how the same activity plays out so differently from here to there. Leavening home grounds and traveling not all that far I'd be uncomfortable without a depthfinder. Actually I wouldn't go a lot of places.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Sounds like an interesting place to be, enjoy it. I'd still tend to look for a hardwired unit and keep your nice IPAD in the cabin with the navionics app, I'm assuming that's how you communicate with us on this site. The cheap tablet option plus cover plus mounting bracket just doesn't seem to make sense. Keep your current simrad as long as it lasts and have your Ipad as a back up. I've dabbled in the area of cheap tablets for running audio equipment and I am less then pleased with the operating systems, battery life and sunlight viewability.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

For some reason still unknown the Simrad worked today!
I finally left this afternoon to my next island destination...I cannot describe what this poor boat went through.
I can remember being banged around on my bench seat before, but has been a while since I literally flew off of it , twice.
Trying to relax my sore backbone...
Yes, Pete, this is probably what I’m going to do. I have all winter to find a decent bargain. Thanks.
Carl, if one single country were the best in the world, then everybody would live there...still, you have lands that are pure dessert or rock and the people who live there wouldn't move for all the money...similarly, there are varied boating experiences around the world, we’re just here to prove it! How’s your swap getting along?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yannis,

Glad you made it safely. You are probably in worse shape than the boat. It's a Bertram. It likes getting beat up. Always needed a depth finder where we boated which may have been nothing more that a long pole with depth markings on it or a heavy sinker/weight on the end of a string with different colors every 5 feet. How things have changed and different areas of the world present many of the same but also different challenges.

Mark
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:For some reason still unknown the Simrad worked today!
I think that is the point I/we were trying to make...a dedicated, purpose built electronic unit "Should" be able to stand up to the weather, pounding and general abuse we put on them and still come away ticking. Also the programming tends to be rock solid.
Tablet- - its a Jack of all trades, master of non. It OS will very just about every program pretty darn well, if not expect an upgrade soon. The available Apps are mind boggling with world maps to social media and navigation that al work, pretty darn well, if not expect an upgrade soon. Lots of people scrambling to get upgrades to fix issues, bugs, crashes and hangups...only a short wait.
Down side is if your luck is anything like mine...the smart device will work flawlessly, till you really need it. I use the GPS on my phone t get somewhere...I know 95% of the route..but where highways merge and I need to change, move over and exit, but not sure if the 1st or second...real close...phone call comes in. Phones on the dash and it goes into overheat mode. I go to straighten it up and knock it down. Battery dies...

As Peter said...tablets are great as a backup. Great to plan your travels in a comfy place then sitting at the helm.

[quote="Yannis"How’s your swap getting along?[/quote]

It was real slow over the summer...lack of time and lack of workable weather, but made headway.
Motors in
Electrics in
Instrument panel made,installed
Struts made
Backing plates for struts made with hull prepped to accept
Shaft logs made
Exhaust rough fit

Now just need to get it all in

exhaust parts made/roughed
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Yes, Mark, you're right, I’m doing stretching exercises for my back...oh, my galley drawers’ security latch that was carefully sikaflexed and was supposed to never give way, well, gave way, when I entered the cabin all pots and pans were on the floor...the music radio too...no more music from that radio!

Carl, I know it’s hard to work on a project and not be able to receive “partial” satisfaction ...you got to wait till everything is done to get the complete satisfaction!

As for the tablet, like I said to Pete, you are right, I ll get a gps dedicated unit. I should have perhaps said that I was given the idea for the tablet from a friend with a sailboat...long story short I come to realize that these guys will never be subjected to the pounding I went through yesterday. They just sit relatively uncomfortably in their miserable cockpits in any weather conditions, they have plenty of time to consult a relatively protected tablet hidden somewhere there...us, we need the info quick or else we’re on the rocks, so our source of info has to be right in front of us, I now doubt a tablet could deliver all I would want a gps to do under such harsh conditions.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis- dedicated unit...even a small screen unit that is dependable and rugurd for the marine world.

Then an inexpensive cover for your tablet making it water resistant...gives some protection if it should fall.
Now use and enjoy the large screen tablet, try to have a full charge before going.

Tablet battery dies, freezes, can't see in sun or whatever...you have a solid reliable backup.

My .02
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl, I agree, you convinced me, I said it before! Dedicated util will be.

Just one additional piece of info, though, we do not have such a need for any backup tablet for boating. We don't have the need to preplan anything...
We already know what our destination is...it can either be a beach on the same island (in which case we may even not have to turn the gps on), or, it can be a beach on another island! That’s all! So, we connect the two points A and B and this is our new route! The beaches do not move so we know where to go. Simple!
The tablet, then, serves for the ordinary tablet functions, that are irrelevant to boating...
Thanks.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Never any fog there? Man..... I got caught out a few weeks ago. Couldn't see 15 feet.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Once I travelled in fog.
I will never forget that experience. From one island to the next, some 30 miles or so. All fog. I thought it would clear but never did. First thing I saw was the houses on the next island.
Two kids with me. Suicidal.
Ive seen fog once more in 40 years that I play with boats.
Perhaps there is more fog in the winter but nobody boats in the winter.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Fog, heavy rain, breaking down then having to run in the dark. A lot of reasons for a GPS.

Even though it only might happen once, that one time would be enough to prepare for it again.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

My apologies if this is too far off the topic, but I have a Humminbird 385ci which came with my boat. I mostly use it for the depth finder and to tell me my speed. The manual makes reference a chart plotter feature which requires a card for local waters. The only cards that I have been able to find online seem to be for freshwater lakes. Is anyone aware of any which would cover the Great South Bay and the adjoining offshore area?

I would like to have something to use while I save up for a proper modern chart plotter. Apparently, this is a rather old model because the Navionics website does not list anything for it.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Carl

Post by Carl »

Peter,

I took a look at the charts for the NY area...saw how it talks about freshwater and lakes. Also saw the Chat box...so asked. They said it also covers a Coastal Waters as well. We are North Eastern charts.

FYI- a lot of the units I have bought lately already included a Coastal water maps built in. The "BlueChip" maps added a layer of info with satellite photos and not cheap...but fun. Just saying paying for charts can be a chunk of change compared to the price of some units.

Your not asking me....but here's my free opinion and worth every penny.
Like I mentioned to Yannis...buy a marine dedicated unit that can get you from point A to point B.you already have. After that play with Apps on a smart device for the latest and greatest at a fraction of the price with all the bells and whisltes on a large screen. (if tablet)
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

What do you guys think of the Simrad Cruise series? They seem to be on sale all at a number of places at very reasonable prices. Will one of these provide me with the functionality that I need right out of the box (i.e. without buying extra charts or an external antenna...)?

I already have depth information from my Humminbird so I probably will not be using the transducer unless I can install it without cutting a hole.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Carl

Post by Carl »

Depends on where your going to use it...and how.

For me, I know my waters pretty well so I just like as a quick reference and yes the included are more then satisfactory.

When traveling to other ports or unknown waters, its nice to have updated charts along with the other goodies they now have. Actual pictures, info on places, contact info.

As to the depth...I didn't see the hockey puck transducers that shoot through the hull. If they did, I'd say do what I do...toss in a bag of water, twisty tie the top and toss into the bilge. It works amazingly well on our 31's. I don't need as I have a good depthfinder...but sometimes it's nice to have a backup and even though I have a flush mounted angled transducer...once in awhile I guess I get some turbulence when running that makes picking up bottom a problem...the pucks usually fine. Wonder if the included skimmer transducer would work in hull...
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I had a raymarine FF and put the transducer that came with it on the centerline of my boat, I made a bed of silicone 3/4" thick being careful to not have any air bubbles in it and gently pressed the transducer down into the goop.

It worked fine for fishing but I do think the resolution was not as good as it could have been if I had mounted it on the transom as I would frequently not mark tinker macs even though I'd be on a pile of them and jigging them up.