phoenix interior

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

phoenix interior

Post by bob lico »

new blue leatherette interior no more vinyl. the open look of V-berth and still retain hanging locker on port side. salon A/C outlet shown above salon seat. cool air in salon at all times.use your arrow to highlite photo and click for total view

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Re: phoenix interior

Post by bob lico »

a little more photo to starbord

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

As always, looks great Bob. I really like the cutout going into the v-berth...opens up the cabin.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you carl i just like the open look actually my daugther`s view " dad this is like (walking into a cave in the ground)" . i love her and respect her opinion. funny thing is i loss no storage space by doing this. the hanging locker is very deep actually longer than my arm could reach so i routed the A/C ductwork against the wall of the hull in closet ,you would never know it was there and then the AC exits right were you sit in salon the other A/C outlet is in the far upper side of V-berth,together they produce a circular cool air in boat taken in by A/C return in bottom rear of vanity in head.thermostat and humidistat are located on galley wall,actual center of cabin.the A/C is a inovation actually built for air conditioned bridge on 70 ' viking and similar. small unit with auto four speed fan due to the huge loss of air on a bridge.silent at all speeds and mounted on 1 1/2 " dence rubber membrane all around.still retain shelf in vanity!!!! fits under shelf.carl you have another entry for the "book" that is AC compressor together with porcelien electric toilet,corian countertop,and holding tank in engine compartment are a exact counterbalance to generator on port side. boot stripe on transom exactly straight with water.
Last edited by bob lico on Aug 12th, '19, 08:45, edited 6 times in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nicely done Bob. It looks great.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

Very nice.

Coincidentally I just did a walkthrough vid of my new interior

David Davidson
1971 B31 FBC Hull no 315-1106
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

answer to the PM ,the tv is mounted on a pull out mount (hospital style) located in the V-berth on the wall of hanging locker facing V-berth. i will take photo when i get a chance also has X-box connected for the children.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

David nicely done. We have the same cuisinart griddler. Curious how that head works out for you, love how it opens up the place but concerned it doesn’t give enough privacy in a marina for the ladies.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob & Dave

You guys are killing me. For sure I can't let my wife see these pics. She has been on my case about the interior.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

11/2" cabin door so you use conventional hinges and insert detail on both inside and outside.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

salon draws were easy just remove bogus formica fronts and build new teak fronts with E-pay borders to prevent wear on all draws,cabinet doors and floor board (strong as steel) and excellent for theshold in cabin and head entrance floor..(old interior)
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

needless to say with interior decorator wife and surpreme last word on design i used no gloss on interior after spending many hours on gel-cote had to paint over with matte (not building a mental intitution ) she visited relative an it left bad experiance and will never walk into a boat with shiny gel-cote mental hospital interior so i also use matte varnish instead of gloss on all teak and mahogany in interior.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

galley all finish with corian countertop. mahogany frame.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

small draw shown being built goes under refrigerator for utentils.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Bob you have a beautiful well thought out interior. If you have the time I am sure everyone would like to see a complete walk thru video of your boat including the cabin as well as your engine rooms. I know your wife must have put a lot of time in the design and coordination of the projects.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the bride has a very good eye for color coodination and " lends" herself to my stong desire for teak,managany so she used neutral color on paint with the use of blue leather. i feel the leather is rather delicate but we are not carrying knives in cabin. i will repeat total privacy from one-way glass is real nice at dock but in reality 85% of the time the boat is a offshore fishing boat .i did what i could to develope all availuble space in cabin .top of cabinets touch outside hull in galley with huge gain in floor space,and head must have sink,vanity,mirrors.towels nothing left out. fisherman piss off transom and don`t use head. v-berth has Ostrich print leather on side walls a compliment neutral ceiling.cabin is waterproof and totally isolated from cockpit by sealing all weepholes in main bulkhead. seperate bilge pump .
Last edited by bob lico on Aug 11th, '19, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Is the full main bulkheasd 1 1/2 inches thick or just pieced for the doorway section.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

main bulkhead is 3/4" plus white ugly formica facing that will be remove and replaced with one piece white fiberglass , an new product made in 4'x 12' and the cabin doorway has built up door jams of mahogany. Tony i cannot stress the importants of a 1 1/2" door rather than OEM. 1 1/4".
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bob, would you be able to post a couple photos of your cockpit area? I'm going to work on mine this year and I recall you had unique air vents. Would also like to see your cockpit floor.
Thanks.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok steve on the lower port and starboard you see a teak louver frame . behind this frame is K & N air filter connected to 4" piping on to intake side of turbo so engines operate on the coolest and salt free air possible. i looked like a rocket sciencetist out on water testing with 8" pieces of caution tape attached to multible area on boat to check air flow at cruise.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

close up of hatch layout of COOSA board cockpit floor with maximum width and length possible in a 31 Bertram .

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks Bob! Great layout and nice work.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

Bob,
Really nice and tidy deck.

I got my air into the engines from behind the fibreglass side panels I made. Both underneath and at the back (haven’t had any water in or salt residue on anything yet in the engine bays):

I’m waiting for my chair to arrive soon from the US.
Any recommendations on either Rupp or Lee’s outriggers, or are they both ok to use? 2” dia 8ft tubes with 21ft single spreaders.
David Davidson
1971 B31 FBC Hull no 315-1106
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

after complicated analysis of air movement in and around an 31 Bertram moving forward at 26 knots we have a circular air movement at the transom rolling in a circle known as "station wagon effect" this air is laden with engine exhaust ,carbon monoxide,steam nothing good.the second air movement is from the bow cutting the sea in front of boat and difference of temperature between water and air.this air is laden with salt and you can see the mist above the water under certain weather conditions.a Darade box would generally draw in salt laden air into engine compartment but a good part separates as air goes in the slots over the top and then draw into engine compartment,you must have equal volume of air leaving engine compartment to work.next is the air moving around the port and starboard window area and to a lesser degree over the top.this air causes a turbulence circular movement at the base of the rear of engine box. this would be the coolest ,salt free air that we want for combustion air. the air around a diesel engine in an enclosed engine box will be 150 degrees while underway, the ambient air taken in two cockpit intakes average 75 degrees in the north with add 15 plus hp to each engine or if you backed off and kept the same speed you would be 50 RPM less for same speed obviously and nice kick to fuel economy .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

bob lico wrote:main bulkhead is 3/4" plus white ugly formica facing that will be remove and replaced with one piece white fiberglass , an new product made in 4'x 12' and the cabin doorway has built up door jams of mahogany. Tony i cannot stress the importants of a 1 1/2" door rather than OEM. 1 1/4".
Bob

Thank you. Is the fiberglass panel available from fiberglass suppliers or from a lumber yard?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

beautiful quility 1/16" thick availuble in 10',12' and 16' lenrth. there would be a zillion hours to get the oem plywood bulkhead to be this good. you would open engine hatches remove strip of wood the hatch sits on and upper teak strip and make ONE piece horozontal with no SEAMS .the four foot seam ends up in the engine compartment then put new piece off AZAK brand pvc board with notched back for rain water about 3" wide by lenrth of engine box to cover seam of new fiberglass board. the product is availuble at DYnagrout,long island ,NY. i would imagine availuble any place Coosa board is availuble.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Thank you. Thinking it might also work to finish off the sides of the hull facing the cockpit.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Thanks. I was thinking it could also be used to finish off the unfinished sides of the hull.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony that is exactly what i will do this winter. one piece no seams over door facing cockpit. one shot no refinishing just installed after using cardboard template for top radius and around windows then PL exterior glue and your done.i would install right across the door opening so piece is not fragile then router with roller to follow contour of door opening.yes can also be used as side panels facing cockpit this is NOT a formica nor plastic product this is real fiberglass board finish smooth about $130.00 for a 4' x10' piece
Last edited by bob lico on Aug 18th, '19, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony Meola wrote:Bob

Thank you. Thinking it might also work to finish off the sides of the hull facing the cockpit.
Tony, you are talking about getting rid of the cockpit side panels and giving yourself a toe kick?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

that toe kick is extremely important for old people fishing (me)
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Tony, you are talking about getting rid of the cockpit side panels and giving yourself a toe kick?
Thinking about it. Ray Belanger said he used fiberglass sections he got from damaged fiberglass bath tub/showers a plumbing supply was getting rid of. Cut them to size and epoxy them to the hull. Fair out any seams and paint them. I did not get a chance to see them, but he is not that far from me.

Maybe one day i will catch up with him to see how they turned out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony don`t get confused with these panels. the plastic panels for bath room showers are cheap junk i can get you a thousand from Blackman plumbing supply long island this is not at all what i am talking about. these 4x 10' real F/G panel are compressed F/G like Coosa board actually same company producing it.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Not vongydding them, just thinking that they could be used on the inside hull sides. Would save a lot of work fairing out the hull.

Same theory as Ray using fiberglass pieces from showers. For that project, you don't need anything exotic. They would need to be painted anyway if you want to cover up the. seams
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

there is a commercial product used in clean areas like kitchen wall that are wash down periodically called Marlite. they normally install with contact cement over drywall and it is availuble in 10' . must better than the plastic products you would find in box stores basicly a Formica type product as used in the OEM. 31 Bertram interior and main bulkhead wall of FBC model.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
BillyC
Standing Member

Post by BillyC »

Bob
What type of piping did you use from the K & N air filter to the intake side of the turbo. BC
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

4" ID plumbing quality DWV (drain,waste,vent) regular plumbing pvc. covered with comercial A/C aluninum foil tape.rubber adapter at from 4" pipe to turbo.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mark

Post by Mark »

Bob and David - Beautiful pics and Beautiful Boats!!

Bob - Are your air intakes sealed on all sides except for louvered opening? Meaning that the air only gets to the K&N filter and not to the engine compartment, hull etc. I could see a PVC connect to a flange and K&N connects to a flange on opposite side?

Mark B
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

air intake is completely sealed from hot air of engine box .flange on turbo clamped to intake pipe by way of rubber membrame on both engines.hot air of engine box escapes thru number one rod holder forming a vetura effect as boat moves forward hot air is pulled from engine box . however combustion air only comes from K & N air filter.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Reelcrazy

Post by Reelcrazy »

can you post picture of air intakes
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this is the starboard engine cool air intake. port side much easier because turbo ir imput facing outside of hull.the air intake goes over engine then down adjacent to outside hull ending two inches behind lover door. the louvers direct cool air from cockpit air to K & N filter.
please hylite photo to get entire photo.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

cool air intake worth 12 to 14 hp at the "pins". basicly it allows you to pull back trottle to obtain the same speed better fuel economy or increase your cruise speed.when you combine with cool fuel you will have seat of the pants change.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473