New Rudders?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MakoMyDay

New Rudders?

Post by MakoMyDay »

Hello everyone and thank you for the add.

In progress on bringing my 31 FBC back to fishing condition and need help finding some new rudders. Existing rudder was bent right at the hull and it broke when the tried to straighten it. It is the 28 style with the arm below the shelves. Cant seem to lacate anyone that has some. Help is greatly appreciated. Will be posting the progress and plans soon. Here is a photo of the boat and rudder.

Located in Corpus Christ TX.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M0sZGK ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W4egMe ... p=drivesdk

Tony Meola

Re: New Rudders?

Post by Tony Meola »

Most of us have rebuilt our rudder shelves and moved the arm to be above the shelf. I would suggest getting two new oversized rudders from Bobby Soles. These are the ones that probably represent 99% of the replacement rudders.

Actually if you do not want to replace the arms to the above position I believe Bobby Soles can set them up to be below the shelf.

http://www.bobbysolespropeller.com
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

After calling Seatow twice this summer, I am thinking about upgrading my rudders when I haul out for the winter so that I can get back on one engine if I have to. I assume that I have to repack the fittings where the rudder shafts go through the hull. What else am I going to run into making this change? The arms on mine are already above the shelves.

Will the larger rudders cause a problem for my steering cables? I have cables coming from both the upper and lower helm.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

The rudders should actually work with the existing ports. You will need to repack them. You may also need new rudder bearings and I would install a rudder collar. I did not have a collar on the original ones. The collar is a safety so the rudder can not drop out should something go wrong. This is the one I used.

https://www.tidesmarine.com/rudder/collar_overview.php

The steering cables will handle them, not sure how much harder it is to turn the wheel do to the extra pressure the larger rudder will create. I changed mine over to hydraulic when I replaced mine, but then again the steering on mine was shot anyway.

The big thing is the rudder shelf. Has it been redone or is it still plywood. If it is plywood, it may need to be rebuilt. Make sure that shelf is in good shape.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
cjordan

Post by cjordan »

How would I know if someone has upgraded the rudders on my 28. I was told it was done when I purchased it.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Tony Meola wrote:Peter

The big thing is the rudder shelf. Has it been redone or is it still plywood. If it is plywood, it may need to be rebuilt. Make sure that shelf is in good shape.
What material did you use to replace the plywood rudder shelf?

The picture on the Tides Marine web site shows the collar sitting between the tiller and the bearing. My tillers look like the are sitting directly on top of the bearing so there may not be room for a collar. Do the new rudders have a longer shaft?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

cjordan wrote:How would I know if someone has upgraded the rudders on my 28. I was told it was done when I purchased it.
Have you got any pictures of your rudders?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

cjordan wrote:How would I know if someone has upgraded the rudders on my 28. I was told it was done when I purchased it.

If its original it will be hanging on by a thread and a prayer.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If you post pictures of the rudders please take them from several angels. If you don't Carl and I will get into a big discussion about who is right and who is wrong.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ha,ha, indeed!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:If you post pictures of the rudders please take them from several angels. If you don't Carl and I will get into a big discussion about who is right and who is wrong.

I am still feeling quite parched...

LOL
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Which rudders do I have? My boat is in the water now so I can't take measurements. I have included four pictures to make it easier for Carl and Tony to identify them. My boat does not steer on one engine so I know I don't have the oversized rudders. Props are 18x18.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/307687/album/1242812
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
John F.

Post by John F. »

From what I can tell, those are the biggest oem rudders that came on a B31. Crows Nest (my 1977 B31) has the same rudders. I think those rudders are pretty good. I had smaller rudders on the Anna E (1969 B31) and it didn't steer at all. I replaced those with Cap. Pat's oversized rudders. Big improvement. Check the link out for pics if it works

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... rs#p129448
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Actually if I remember correctly my old ones had a serial number end were stamped Bertram on them, or maybe that was the strut.

Even if they were the biggest Rudder Bertram made, you still can not steer on one engine. With the ones from Bobby Soles I can turn run straight and turn with one engine. To tighten the turn I just need to bump up the rpms on one engine by maybe 100 rpms.

Peter, oncdd you get the engines running right you can take your time with replacing the Rudders. Tackle one project at a time.

What we did was purchase 3/8 inch u channel from McMaster card and ran the shelf across the stern. We made supports for the shelf and glassed them to the hull. I have pics some where on my Desk Top. I will not be home until next week, so if you can wait i will look for them and send them to you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315