Side window replacement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thuddddddd

Re: Side window replacement

Post by thuddddddd »

glass cutter ACCROSS the middle will work betterer … make sure you wear gloves and … something like strapping of a 1x to push with may make the job easier (once you score both sides of the glass ).. plus you will want to "tap" the score on both sides to get the cut to run
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I should have been more clear. This is how Tim At Island wide plastics explained he would do it. I’m just writing the check.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote:I should have been more clear. This is how Tim At Island wide plastics explained he would do it. I’m just writing the check.

LOL...

...for me, writing the check is much harder then doing the work.
That is a skill I am trying to work on and perfect.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Writing a check has become my super power .. I've got the cape.. and t-shirt to prove it
Carl

Post by Carl »

thuddddddd wrote:Writing a check has become my super power .. I've got the cape.. and t-shirt to prove it
Captain thuddddd to the rescue!

Some day I too wish to gain such greatness.

Till then its work work work the day away.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony this is a clear photo of the inside trim around window. i remembered the reason i use epoxy encapulated coosa board was i wanted the lip to come down on side like a cap to give extra beef for a 10' wave hitting direct port or starboard when sharp turning huge waves at high speeds. Trust me it is real strong to direct wave!. ANOTHER robbie inovation when i purchased Corian for counters from a huge commercial firm they told me it was impossible for a laymen to bend corian without a oven under controlled coditions well i put the precut piece into my son`s electrical 4" pvc bender and ran into cabin and made one piece 90 degree with radius right in place then let it cool down in place (look to front end of 4" backspash) seeing is believing. BTW carl i have no clue how curtains work ,whats the story the women are sitting at the salon table in morning in a nightgown close all the curtains and sit in the dark and no air circulation or look out limo tint in morning without a trump rally looking in the boat i am not bending on this one i rather have a Bayliner with tinted windows and A/C than a fishbowl antiquated 31 bertram with enourmous green house effect on fire island overnight.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

LOL Bob- -

No fish bowl here. I have Dark Gray Lexan windows...AKA bulletproof limo tint.

Also have curtains...fronts wrapped.

AC...well a fan close to an open window is as close as I have.

Its shorts or bathing suit 99% of the time...my ladies are not worried about being seen in a nightgown.

Move along..shows over..keep it going please.

As to impossible...yeah...my answer to impossible is it might be impossible for you, it just takes me a little longer.

Nice job, hope you showed them what "can't" be done.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:A glass cutter down the middle on the both sides and the old windows will be pushed from the inside out. The old windows will be used as a template and the new plexiglass can be bent enough to get them in place
Peter

ONce it is done let us know how easy he said it was. LOL...

By the way, I fully understand writing out the check. There are just some things left to others.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

bob lico wrote:tony this is a clear photo of the inside trim around window. i remembered the reason i use epoxy encapulated coosa board was i wanted the lip to come down on side like a cap to give extra beef for a 10' wave hitting direct port or starboard when sharp turning huge waves at high speeds. Trust me it is real strong to direct wave!. ANOTHER robbie inovation when i purchased Corian for counters from a huge commercial firm they told me it was impossible for a laymen to bend corian without a oven under controlled coditions well i put the precut piece into my son`s electrical 4" pvc bender and ran into cabin and made one piece 90 degree with radius right in place then let it cool down in place (look to front end of 4" backspash) seeing is believing. BTW carl i have no clue how curtains work ,whats the story the women are sitting at the salon table in morning in a nightgown close all the curtains and sit in the dark and no air circulation or look out limo tint in morning without a trump rally looking in the boat i am not bending on this one i rather have a Bayliner with tinted windows and A/C than a fishbowl antiquated 31 bertram with enourmous green house effect on fire island overnight.

Bob

Nice work. Unfortunatly all of us do not have access to PVC bender. Although an electrician showed my father and I how to bend pipe using the gas grill. Wrap the pipe in wet towel and let it get hot. Believe it or not it worked. Not sure I would do that with an expensive piece of Corian.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony i had no choice look at this corner in a 31 it is not even a even radius. basicly slight curve then sharper as it make the turn . i see no reason why you could not do this on a large BBQ with hood down,every four minutes or so, keep temp at 375 and be patient the only problem is the BBQ must be next to boat you must install hot and hold it in place.you also have to have a exact distance to right angle end at head bulkhead. the results along with one foot of floor space for the entire length of the galley which is the center of the traffic area. i have no clue why Bertram wasted all that space behind galley counter. a spatacular improvement!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Years ago Walter said use the boat a bunch and figure out what you want to do.....

One thing I've said for years is I'm not going to die in one of those $3 life jackets, so I only carry the fancy Type 1 offshore vest, 6 or 8 of them. What I did was remove the cabinet and door in the galley under the counter draw, still want to have a mesh cover made. But that giant space under the sink holds those offshore life jackets, I have otherwise thought of somehow rigging them up under the headliner with some sort of mesh and velcro for easy access. Under the V berth I keep an anchor ball, some fenders and extra dock lines, in the port hanging locker I keep an extra anchor and some tools. Both draws under the dinette are full as is the cabinet under the sink in the galley and the head. That's all the space folks.

There is no additional room in the boat, I'd rather walk on a cooler for food or fishing, open the windows.swap out fishing tackle for clothes and weekend camping supplies etc. Most folks inclination is to add every creature comfort you can but I really feel like once you cram every corner of these boats with an AC unit, refrigerator, duct work there really isn't any room for enjoying it.

However you all do it, if you are sleeping on the boat it's not really comfy. bags that may have been stored in the Vberth (with the night gowns) have to be stowed under the dinette while sleeping, pillows and blankets need to be stored in the vberth and the dinette needs to be converted back to a table for breakfast. Nobody in their right mind wants to unload in the head while someone is still sleeping in the dinette or the vberth and god help you if they do and don't have the ability to open a few windows. How about being the wife of 2 boys and being stuck in the cabin with three farting men all night sealed up in a cabin. Women can sleep in shorts and a t shirt, throw a hat on and freshen up in the public restroom.

When I imagine sleeping on the boat I imagine feeling a breeze and smelling the sea water, listening to the water lap up against the hull and being woken up by the first lights of dawn so I can be up on the bridge or out on the dock with my coffee to watch the sun come up. Can't run the kuerig at that time of morning with the kids sleeping so having homemade ice coffee in a cooler out on the deck is perfect. The biggest downside is listening to somebody else's water discharge from their AC all night.

Tinted windows and AC isn't going to make our little boats into the Waldorf or a motor yacht. It's a pop up camper at best when it comes to weekending
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote: It's a pop up camper at best when it comes to weekending
You got that right and I have a Pop Up sitting in the yard behind my shop to prove it.
Actually a pop up is better as you need a vehicle to pull it and that vehicle gets to hold all the extra luggage food, toys and stuff.

That said, sleeping 4 and a dog is doable in the 31.

V-Berth during the day gets the luggage.
At night the luggage is stored on the front window ledge and under converted dinette/bed.
Dry food on the window ledge, everything else in the coolers on the motor boxs

We also made an insert for the V-berth to utilize that wasted space between the berths.
fan by the galley window brings in fresh air and small personal clip on fans on the closet doors for the v-berth peoples.

We do not do the Kuerig, but a small Mr Coffee drip machine on the counter doesn't wake the girls...although I guess we could also use it outside the cabin.

It not a Hilton, but it is still great getting up in the morning with a fresh sea breeze sipping hot coffee on the back of the boat.
Its rustic and we are fine with that...we do the pampered vacations other times.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl,

We are running the same hustle, when money or time is of no concern fancying things up a bit doesn't hurt anyone. I look at the sum of all of the little things and the big things and think I'm getting 80% of the benefits of my 31 for 20% of the cost and I'm okay with that knowing I'm saving my pennies to someday not work or maybe move to a place with a longer boating season. When we went down to Cabo in February and were out on the water instead of shoveling snow and traveled in view of the marina and dropped the billfish spread in the water and immediately hooked into a tuna, watched whales etc. That was a MASSIVE AWAKENING, I will never spend big money to outfit a boat on Long Island to make a 90 mile run for a few months of the year. Maybe never is a strong commitment but the next level in a sportfish (35 cabo is my benchmark) where the creature comforts are meaningful, let's say 200k and under...Heck I can get a cottage in the keys and a center console and be snorkeling and catching Mahis all year long, I just don't see making a big investment in our 3 month summer up here.

Don't get me wrong I love my 31 Bert, I love what living close to the bay on Long Island affords and what our NY salaries get us. Now let's say I could retire and run from FL over to the bahamas every other weekend I may be more inclined to fancy things up..
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

my new one is "kinda" like a Bahia on steroids (or a big pop up ) …. and .. it's being "outfitted" to retire south in the next decade .. get that stuff done while I have an income …. lol
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

We all make it work. Spent many a night off shore. Two guys in the v berth sleeping, one keeping watch, on sleeping on the knocked down table and usually someone sleeping on the engine box.

Waking up to first light, with Tuna swimming around the boat, coffee heating up on a colman camp stove, making breakfast out on the deck. A great way to start the day.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Tony Meola wrote:Peter

We all make it work. Spent many a night off shore. Two guys in the v berth sleeping, one keeping watch, on sleeping on the knocked down table and usually someone sleeping on the engine box.

Waking up to first light, with Tuna swimming around the boat, coffee heating up on a colman camp stove, making breakfast out on the deck. A great way to start the day.
where do you stow the nightgowns?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:
where do you stow the nightgowns?

Now thats funny.

Pete- I can't afford what I'd want and I do not like what I can afford so its make this boat as usable as possible.
All I must have is a good hull with good motors and it needs to be safe and dependable.
The other stuff is secondary.

When the kids are out of school that may change...or it may not.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

okay i am going to walk away from this and chalk it up to differant strokes for differan folks. i use my boat 9 months a year number one and i cater to these brautiful women in summer sitting at the table in nightgowns in morning.daddy i want a beautiful bathroom with full mirror hot and cold water A/C and limo. tint i say yes dear.i can do anything on a boat and of couse i will provide both privacy and comfort.

Last edited by bob lico on Jul 26th, '19, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you want me to jump at 20,000' no problem you want me to kill people no problem you want me to deal with the FBI,SS FEMA and the air force no problem you want me to deal with the girls needs on my 31 Bertram BIG PROBLEM --------yes dear!

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

[quote="Raybo Marine ]where do you stow the nightgowns?[/quote]

Who needs nightgowns!
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Remember I’m in the water 12 months a year no shore Power and no generator. I spent many years fishing with the guys but I rarely leave the dock without the wife and kids. That includes fishing in April and November. My wife has lupus so extended periods of being in the sun is very bad. 360 degree view in cabin from windows is important, a fresh breeze in the summer is important. And even the coldest days of November the solarium effect in the cabin has always kept everyone warm.

I could get a different slip with shore power or add a generator but my idea is to keep it super simple. Have the least amount of maintenance by having less stuff that can break. It’s kind of a family motto that goes beyond boating.
Carl

Post by Carl »

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

It can't break if you don't have it...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

how ever when you complete the window modification the two cockpit windows and glass door allows more light than winshield because of the cut off from the v-berth extension ceiling into the cabin and most of all for my wife with vertigo a clean even 180 degree viewing area around the entire cabin while sitting at salon table. original main bulkhead windows facing cockpit are a joke.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I do like the larger aft bulkhead windows, it's just not an either or for me. Someday I may expand them and it will create even more light and view ability.

In my defense, I am very consistent. In a neighborhood of mostly 1920s homes I am the only house with an original slate roof and steel casement windows. I'm also the only house in the neighborhood with taxes in 4 digits (less then 10k). The "upgrade" requires a building permit, a building permit requires an inspection and an inspection means tax reassessment. The avg tax is 15k, many over 20k and I'm under 9k. Invest 6k per year for 30 years earning 8% you end up with $800,000. I apply the same math to maintaining an AC unit, generator on the boat and most decisions in our life.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

1920 would be a new house on my block,most are 1860 thru 1910, most have rounded basements with coal shute from late 1800 era with 200+ frontage and 600' deep from street to back street of which was a dirt road some years back to bring horses to barn (weird being in a house with garage the one time barn facing backward. no horse droppings on Candee Ave women in their parasalls walking from town to water and beach at turn of century because the locals built boats the feds could not catch so bootleg scotch and rye from england walk across fire island to fast boats on bay to speak easys.people in Sayville and the wealthy from city going to Fire Island support our beautiful old fahion stores. 000000000 box stores,walmart and chain fast food joints.taxes are low because town and senior citizen housing in the north pay the school system without adding students.fire island pines , Sayville is the highest elevation on south shore water never broke over dock at end of street including hurricane of 1938.next town over Oakdale had four feet in homes during hurricane Sandy. they even tax central air in your town ! nobody says anything here.
10 years 0 maintenace for A/C however Mase generator requires filter every year as well as water impellar. i have invested about $100.00 over 15 years with all my own labor.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob, remember Petes gas, so it would be a gas gen set to run the AC. Or a separate fuel tank for a diesel generator.

Or buy diesels and convert, so he can get a diesel generator, so he can get an AC unit in his boat, so he can seal in the windows instead of just replace existing windows with a couple clear plastic panels for a couple hundred bucks.
And with opening windows he can open window and enjoy a cool ocean breeze.

Not that anybody is asking me, I don't want AC in my boat either. It's nice to sleep in the cool when really hot out...but then your listening to the AC unit and not sounds of water lapping the hull, not getting the sea breezes. One tends to sit in the cabin more instead of venturing out. With AC and closed windows there becomes a detachment to the outdoors...the reason your on the boat in the first place.
I love going to the beach, opening up windows and hatch having that breeze blow through the boat.

That said, I won't complain about my taxes after hearing what Pete said. Then again my taxs may be a bit lower, the schools are not the greatest, so it's a hefty tuition. At least the tuition bills end in a few more years.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl you are going to have to open that book again for A/C and this one is over the top but people get crazy when you get off subject i have no idea why ' IF YOUR GOING TO SHOOT THAN SHOOT" but computer people get excited some day i will reveal a huge inovation in air conditioning in a 31 Bertram. trust me you have not heard it!!!!! moving right along ; taxes would be $15,000 on my house but star one, star two (old bastards with no children in school district) and most of all #three combat veteran huge deductions with all the add on`s.
yes small diesel tank with diesel genny because genny uses less than a lawn mower. A/C is silent and in bottom of vanity surronded by 1 1/2" dense foam rubber in head against main bulkhead in perfect weight balance with generator on port side. boot stripe on transom dead even as the Cummins executive pick up on.65 % humidty and 68 degrees all day all night and no drunk loud mouth people at night. wife,dauthers and nieces love it!!!! end of story.
Last edited by bob lico on Aug 3rd, '19, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:I do like the larger aft bulkhead windows, it's just not an either or for me. Someday I may expand them and it will create even more light and view ability.

In my defense, I am very consistent. In a neighborhood of mostly 1920s homes I am the only house with an original slate roof and steel casement windows. I'm also the only house in the neighborhood with taxes in 4 digits (less then 10k). The "upgrade" requires a building permit, a building permit requires an inspection and an inspection means tax reassessment. The avg tax is 15k, many over 20k and I'm under 9k. Invest 6k per year for 30 years earning 8% you end up with $800,000. I apply the same math to maintaining an AC unit, generator on the boat and most decisions in our life.
Peter

And I thought I was the only one that figured out my investments in the same way. But in any event, get prepared, because at some point you will have to bite he bullet on the house and get nailed with the tax's. Sometimes there just is no choice.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony Meola wrote:[

Peter

And I thought I was the only one that figured out my investments in the same way. But in any event, get prepared, because at some point you will have to bite he bullet on the house and get nailed with the tax's. Sometimes there just is no choice.
Let me do more math, let's say I save the 6k in taxes and I earn 8%; after 15 years I've got 195k, at that point I stop and take a 5% withdrawal to cover my taxes. No more real estate taxes out of my pocket, they call it the perpetual money making machine and it's way cooler than a 31 Bertram. The other guy continues to drag his butt into the office to cover his 20k in real estate taxes and enjoys AC on his boat a few weekends a month. At least that's our plan
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i totally diagree peter. i love paying LAND taxes .number one that was my children and now grand children in the Sayville school district. the surronding towns hate hate out policy because we do not share fire dept,gorgeous library,great school district only for Sayville residents, SCPD. COPE headquarters in sayville (rediculous police manpower for crime control) constant patrol.$ 10,000 of my home taxes are a write off so if i did not get write off i would give it to FEDS and state but you also must factor in the higher the income the higher the percentages of tax you pay to feds,state.MEANWHILE live is great and we enjoy all home renovations and A/C in boat.Boat is also large write off and bills must be produced either A/C windows or pay the feds the equal amount of money AND of course when you do pull that money you saved in the swelldering heat,bugs,loud music,and loud talk on docks you will have to abide by the FEDERAL RMD FROM YOUR 401 at over 30% (with added income you now pay state tax).got to add all the pluses and minus of your thinking but trust me after 65 yo the feds ain`t going let you keep it so you better think about writting off the house taxes and that boat being that your a much better fisherman that me.
Last edited by bob lico on Aug 3rd, '19, 09:00, edited 2 times in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Married filing joint, margin rate jumps from 24% to 32% above $321,000 of income. If I have that problem when I'm taking my RMD's at 70 you have permission to shoot me for being to cheap to put AC in the boat.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

BTW Bob. Sailors Haven up their price to $3 per foot with a two night minimum on weekends plus $10 per day for electric. $200 for the weekend. Cedar beach in Babylon is 90 bucks from 11 AM on Friday till 11 AM on Monday and they have a strict quiet time between 10 PM and 8 AM
Carl

Post by Carl »

Aside from the cost, AC changes the way boats get used...at least for me.

For me part of boating is being with the loudmouths on the dock and not couped up in a cabin.

For me, it's sitting out in that huge cockpit with a bunch of buds swapping stories, not sitting in a cabin.

At night, sleeping...well yeah AC is nice but as much as it adds it also detracts.

For me it is non cost related as I could have run AC though business and I have been offered working units for free. It's a big thank you, but no thanks.

For me it would have been shore power unit as I wanted a gen set even less. My dad was going to give me his gas gen set when he converted to diesel...it was a big, thanks, but no thank you.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

you guys...… @ firstworldprobelms…… #.00001%r's …….. I'm lucky to afford a new resin chair to sit at the back of the singlewide trailer I live in.. with an oscillating fan to try and beat the heat of these 90deg nights
Carl

Post by Carl »

Wish I had the money for a nice new resin chair....
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

thuddddddd wrote:you guys...… @ firstworldprobelms…… #.00001%r's …….. I'm lucky to afford a new resin chair to sit at the back of the singlewide trailer I live in.. with an oscillating fan to try and beat the heat of these 90deg nights
That is what you get for investing in a bunch of Hatteras flower pots.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:
That is what you get for investing in a bunch of Hatteras flower pots.

Tony- if your investing in boats, I've got a little secret you may not want to hear...boats are a bad investment. Best I have hoped for was breaking even.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote:Tony- if your investing in boats, I've got a little secret you may not want to hear...boats are a bad investment. Best I have hoped for was breaking even.
Carl

Yes, but most if us only deal in one running boat, while Timmy collects those in need.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I am having trouble with Imgur but I did post pictures of the windows on Facebook.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

pete finally went to boat for photo as you can see glass on door due to angle allowing more sunlight to enter cabin in combination with triple the size cockpit windows exceed front windshield due to light be deflected by fiberglass above V-berth

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

highlite photo to get entire view.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

running to the inlet at 34 knot cruise with A/C and refrigerator keeping food and cabin cool and low humidity.please highlite and click on photo

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bob,

How much weight do you think the teak on the gunnel would weigh? Just the one around the cockpit area. Do you remember how thick it is? Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

New window pics here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/GsF8iLs
Last edited by PeterPalmieri on Aug 9th, '19, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

Post by Carl »

They look great Pete!

Almost bet your glad it broke now...

Front, curved and sides too??
Curved and front are my next project...you know...after I finish the one I'm doing now.
Except I have cabin and helm to do.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

We did everything but the curved windows. They were replaced right before I got the boat. They have a light amber tint and we matched the two new front and both sets of side windows to it. The front window has had a crack in it for a few seasons and the head window never slid forward. So it’s nice to have it all done a one time.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

teak around gunnnel weights less than 20 pounds and about 1 1/4" thick. any weight after the main bulkhead is "good weight"
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Bob.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"