gold pinstriping on 1970 38' Bertram Sportsfish

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

norma

gold pinstriping on 1970 38' Bertram Sportsfish

Post by norma »

I am wondering about what width of gold pin striping to apply to both top and bottom of the two black stripes on the boat (one black stripe on the body and one on the bridge)? And would I narrow down the gold pin striping as it flanks the black stripe towards the bow where it narrows to a point? I can't find any close-up photos to show this. Thanks for any information.
Yannis

Re: gold pinstriping on 1970 38' Bertram Sportsfish

Post by Yannis »

Go to “side golden stripe” thread and more specifically my April 11th entry.

Consider also that it’s difficult to do this while the boat is in the water, better to be on a ladder while on the hard.

Good luck.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
norma

Post by norma »

Thanks for the info.
I am still wondering whether to narrow the gold pin-stripe from 1/2" to ? maybe 1/4" as the black stripe painted on the boat narrows toward the bow? It seems that 1/2" gold pin-striping appears too wide for the narrower black stripe at the bow.
I previously had used 1/4" gold pin-striping but it did not stick well, and I had to tear it all off. So this time I am thinking of using 1/2" pin-striping.
There is a bit of a paint lip between the black stripe edge and the white hull - and I want to cover this - but that is probably why the 1/4" did not stick well to that interface.
Cosmetic thoughts?
Thanks, Norma
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

It would be nice to post a few pics, so we can see how thin or thick the black stripe on the 38 is.
On the 28, where the black stripe ends up no more than 1cm thick at the bow, I chose the golden stripe to be 3mm as anything else would be too thick.
The guys I purchased from have most widths available.
Which brings me now to another point. Should the existing painted stripe be black or blue? What was the original color? Mine is black, there is a 70ish Bertram right next to me right now where the stripe is a nice navy blue.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"