Oil Filters

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Priceless

Oil Filters

Post by Priceless »

I’ve got Yanmar 315’s in my 31 and I went to the local Yanmar parts guy today to buy oil filters. When I purchased my boat the owner gave me two oil filters from Carquest among all the other stuff. They appeared to be similar. The guy at the Yanmar place today said that Yanmar doesn’t make the filters and most are made by other suppliers. My question is what is reality? Do most of you use manufacturer’s filters or are the others OK? I know that in the big picture small price to keep an expensive Diesel engine running but is their any difference? Just hate to be screwed if I’m buying the same filter. It’s been blowing for 10 days so we cant go fishing and we start thinking. Dangerous
Tony Meola

Re: Oil Filters

Post by Tony Meola »

There are filters and then there are filters. For my Cummins I only use the recommended filters. At some thing like $9 a filter vs $4 dollars I figure the extra $10 an oil change is not worth going cheap.

I always try to use name brand filters even in my cars. Name brand to me are any of the high quality manufactures. Issue is in today's market it is tough to tell what is good.

When my father had his shop Wix was always the filter of choice. Back then they were top of the line. Fast forward 30 years and now I am told they are only so so filters.

That is why I try to stay with dealer recommended filters. With stuff being made over seas, quality control is always a concern.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

There are several studies on line about oil filters.
The worst being Fram and the best was the NAPA gold line.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Donmystic1 wrote:There are several studies on line about oil filters.

I had heard that about Fram...its a shame, I used to think Fram was synonymous with quality.
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

There is a YouTube video compararing all the filters
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

followup question. 2200hrs on my 315 running 15-40 standard Rotella. any reason to switch to the semisynthetic. I change oil every 75-100 hours
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

No reason to switch as long as you maintain the right schedule on oil changes ancc use the correct oil.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Donmystic1 wrote:There are several studies on line about oil filters.
The NAPA filters are made by Wix. Just drop the first letter from the Wix number and you have the NAPA number. I use them on my heavy equipment.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Rawleigh is spot on! I worked for NAPA for years and they are Wix. As above the gold are the best! Why be cheap on an oil filter when it’s so crucial? There are moving parts in oil filters. Springs which bypass excessive pressure and the like. Cheap filter manufacturers use crimped steel as a spring, Wix /NAPA are physical coil springs. We used to have a cutaway at the counter. The paper some filter manufacturers used looked like Chinese newspaper. All my vehicles have NAPA filters. My $.02
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I use genuine Yanmar filters on my 4lha stp's. Not so pricey after all.
Plus, I believe Toyota wouldn't play around with filter quality.
The only filters that I buy from another source are the big diesel filters, not the ones on the engine.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"