Bertram 25 info

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Briancc

Bertram 25 info

Post by Briancc »

New guy here. I've been on the hunt for a 25 hard top or flybridge for a while now. I found one nearby and plan on a sea trial friday. Motors seem good to go and outdrives have recently been replaced. Most of the issues I see are cosmetic. There is definitely some flexing of the port side gunnel where the hard top comes down on it as the paint is cracking in that area. I know there have been some stringer delam issues with the 25.Where can I gain access to check for any issues. Is there anything else I should be looking out for? Thanks in advance.
John Swick

Re: Bertram 25 info

Post by John Swick »

You're not the 1st to bring up the topic of stringer 'issues' with the B25??
I have/had 4 B25's and not one of them has stringer issues.
They all have dry transoms too.
Guess I got lucky??
More likely, there are B25's out there that had impacts that were not properly repaired.
Or modified and updated to beyond the intended use or OEM design/build parameters.
The more molested the boat, the higher the probability you're going to find issues.
Look for a boat that someone hasn't put there 'mark' on.
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Since John has owned 4 B-25s, he and other 25 owners are your best resource for information. Having owned B-31s and a B-20, I can tell you that stress cracks in the gelcoat do not necessarily equate to a structural deficiency. I always recommend a boat survey by a qualified surveyor, as the dollars spent are usually the smartest dollars you will spend in the process of a boat search. With that said, if the the structural "coring" under the gunwale where the hardtop is mounted is wood (as was the case in most of these boats), then water intrusion from the thru-bolts may have contributed to rot at that location. A good boat yard should have a craftsman (carpenter/glass man) that can remedy the situation. The late Capt. Patrick corrected structural wood rot under the deck of my B-31 and re-built my compromised rudder shelf and strut backing plates. I considered these to be reasonable repairs/replacements on a 40+ year old boat; not to mention that at the end of the day you have a real boat: a classic Bertram.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

I have a friend in Florida selling his 25 Flybridge. $12k. Newly painted topsides, rebuilt engines etc.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... SEARCH_BOX

Look under posts to find the one I shared.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Briancc---Not sure where you are located and if you are looking for a project or turn key boat.

FYI there are 2 Flybridge-V-Drive boats in Freeport NY that have been on the hard for many seasons---project boats for sure----

I don't know any details.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

I just bought a '72 25 moppie. The surveyor found no issues with the stringers.
Briancc

Post by Briancc »

Just wanted to follow up here and let everyone that responded know I bought the boat. Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure I'll be around. This boat needs a little love but the bones are good.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Congratulations.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Congratulations. That makes two new B 25 owners on here my mines a moppie
HotSpot