The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

B28 stb mini bar!

Post by Yannis »

Edit: I added more pics

Resting with a good friend...

https://imgur.com/a/ttGOyA4

This is the other side where we put all our shoes, flip flops etc.
It fits them all, about 5-6 pairs easily, and my size is 13.

https://imgur.com/58RdRE4
https://imgur.com/PKCbP1Y
https://imgur.com/xj8sgrq
https://imgur.com/8FF7Jjz
https://imgur.com/O1VzJnL
Last edited by Yannis on Mar 22nd, '19, 07:51, edited 3 times in total.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
kross1

Re: B28 stb mini bar!

Post by kross1 »

I really like it. I don’t know how you did this because I have a ton of wires and cables in that area..
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Nice job. Now how about some details. That could be a big hit on a lot of boats. Can have 100 different uses.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I generally don't promote alcohol consumption on the boat but then again I don't own a 28.....Looks good! :-D
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ha, ha!
Where did you see the alcohol?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Ha, ha!
Where did you see the alcohol?
Tennis the bottle is there. Take a look at you pics. Bottle looks empty sod you must of be enjoyed it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Oh, I see, you must be referring to my favorite ouzo brand... yes, I put it there to show that the holes in the rack are three different dimensions, one for the big ouzo bottle, one smaller for the water bottle and two yet smaller ones for the glasses.
I also added some pics to show how I managed the cables. I had taken many more during the intermediate steps but for unknown reasons I lost them between iphone, pc, ipad...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tennis

I guess if the bottle is empty it doesnt count but you should have saved some for your guests.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

If you look you’ll see that the bottle is 1/3 full.
I heavily promote booze onboard!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Tony,

If you look you’ll see that the bottle is 1/3 full.
I heavily promote booze onboard!

Yannis- You have to make sure the top stays on real good and seals well...I always seem to have an issue with heavy evaporation on those kinds of bottles.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis- You have to make sure the top stays on real good and seals well...I always seem to have an issue with heavy evaporation on those kinds of bottles.[/quote]

Very funny but True. I don't think Tennis gives uut a chance to evaporate.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Yep, they don't make these bottles good anymore!!
Jokes aside, if you cannot secure glasses or bottles made out of glass, you'd better not have them on board at all. Now they can be.
How can you drink whiskey or wine in a plastic mug?
Carl

Post by Carl »

[quote="Yannis"
How can you drink whiskey or wine in a plastic mug?[/quote]

Your right Yannis...Very Very difficult to tackle that without the right glass.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I gather they do not sell Red Solo cups in Greece.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

You cannot enjoy an alcoholic beverage in a cheap plastic cup. Perhaps water, but that’s it. You miss all the pleasure as it smells of plastic. An exception for me are those thick wall, heavy and usually expensive acrylic glasses that are multi-usage.
Also, I’m against plastic if I can avoid it.
All, or most, single use plastics (cups, plates, cutlery, etc) are soon to be completely banned in Europe. I think plastic straws are banned already. Companies such as starbucks have already made it an advertising element in their campaigns that they only offer paper straws. Plastic is a human enemy and should be treated as such, except where it cannot be substituted by another material.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:You cannot enjoy an alcoholic beverage in a cheap plastic cup. Perhaps water, but that’s it. You miss all the pleasure as it smells of plastic. An exception for me are those thick wall, heavy and usually expensive acrylic glasses that are multi-usage.

Some beers and mixed drinks are ok in a plastic cup, I do prefer the clear acrylic.
The heavy wall expensive acrylic when new look the part, almost play the part but give a much different feel, the sound of the ice as it slides into the side gives a dull thud instead of a crisp clank; when new they have a minute smell that soon changes to an odor after several washings; then the weight is just wrong.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Yes, beers too, but we prefer to drink beer from the can whenever we drink beer. Glasses we use for wine that we almost always accompany food with. Lunch and dinner.
As for the acrylic glasses, there are two types: the cheaper single use ones that are transparent and generally much much better than the white or colored plastic ones, but, these ones are single use too, therefore bad for the environment so we avoid them if we can. They also break easily. They crack if you squeeze them more that a lady’s hand would.

As for the expensive thick ones, I agree with the icecube thud vs clank, but they are very durable, they look almost like glass and their weight is like a glassy glass weight, I don’t think they are so much different. And, if you drink ouzo, like I do, I can assure you they dont smell plastic at all! To the contrary, the ones that we use for ouzo are NOT to ever be mixed with any other drink cos that latter will smell of ouzo no matter how meticulously you soap and rinse them. So we have colors, the semi whites for ouzo, the semi blue for all other drinks.
In the photos I posted, this semi white glass is an acrylic one and I’m very happy with it. It holds the equivalent of a beer can.
Last summer I was invited over for drinks at a bigger yacht where they had those different type (wine type with stem, cocktail type, tall type) expensive acrylic glasses...you would have to pay good attention to tell they were not made out of glass!! Impeccable, classy acrylic glasses. The guy told me they were something like 20€ each...mine are at around 10€. I only have four, two whites and two blue, he had 12 of each type in his galley...go figure!
I simply cannot invest 1000€ just in glasses, If I could I’d have the corresponding boat, more like 54’ and above !
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Yannis, you seem like you are a true aficionado of Ouzo
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

No, we only drink it in the summer. Only the summer lasts long...
Its a drink that mixes well with our tastes of little dishes we serve (and share) from a plate placed in the middle of the table, for lunch or before lunch, like little fried fish, tomato salad, olives of different types, greens of all types, cheeses of all types, fried or grilled sea food like octopus, calamari etc.
It is usually drank during the day, not after dusk. In special mid sized narrow glasses.
With ice, cold water, or both, strong opinions on all three versions. You ask before you offer it.
Two major islands produce it, Chios and Mytilini. Only. I prefer the Mytilini ones, they are mellower.
You can get a serious hangover if you overdo it. Its a 40 proof drink.
I haven’t drank a drop since last September. Slowly am getting to it again.
Many brands to keep everyone happy....
If I can be of further help let me know.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I grew up with and am still good friends with a set of twin Greek guys. Their usual pairing of Ouzo is with other alcohol types, so no knowledge of what it should be had with.

They only drink Ouzo straight and both of them have a hole in the bottom of their leg so when the bottle of Ouzo comes out I know I am in trouble.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Pairing ouzo with other alcohol types and drinking it straight....hmmm, I guess that’s another way of seeing things.
I just provided information on how most people consume it. There are exceptions to every rule...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Everything taste better from a glass container. Even beer, glass in a can vs a bottle. The metal changes the taste even if only slightly it changes it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,
The aegean is from windy to very windy. No single-use plastic glass could retain its verticality if less than half full. Also, it smells bad and its unfriendly to the environment, so plastic is out. Whats next? The alu can by itself I guess when it comes to beer or other soft drinks, colas etc. Even if they fall they dont break, biiig advantage.
You’re right, glass is best, but have you ever tried to collect glass smitherines from a white deck? Impossible, plus we’re always barefoot so ...thick acrylic or similar it must be...really no alternative.
I have one or two real glass for wine and for when its calm and/or special occasion. Mermaids appreciate glass and candles...for the latter I provide candle-like leds appropriately camouflaged in pottery or similar, hidden behind ropes to create atmo.
A man’s got to do what a man’s got to do! Plus, I bring wine from Athens as I cannot always find what I want in the remote places I go...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Hate to say this, but unless swimming I am against bare feet on the boat especially when fishing. Too many chances of an accident. Not crazy about flip flops either unless we are swimming.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,
99 if not 100% of boats here are only for swimming. Almost never for fishing. Fishing is done by fishermen in fising caiques, or old men in their 3-4 meter boats for passtime. And no flip flops, only barefoot.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Barefoot unless serious fishing is my summer wear.

Although I should wear gloves instead of shoes as the hands seem to be a magnet for hooks at times.
Yannis

Re: B28 stb mini bar

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

I enter the boat in June, wearing size 13, in September size 14 is barely adequate! The foot expands!
Also, if you break a glass on deck in September you’ll barely notice it...your underfoot has become like a real shoe,....like the ones you see in documentaries walking barefoot in the jungle, lol.
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Just saw this Yannis. NICE!

Good way to use all that wasted space. I'll buy your idea for my 28 :-D
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Hey, Jorge!

Long time no see, what’s happening to your various improvements? I’m sure you got some pics to share!
Cheers.
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Yannis wrote:Hey, Jorge!

Long time no see, what’s happening to your various improvements? I’m sure you got some pics to share!
Cheers.
Hi Yannis,

I can't even remember what was my last progress post LOL, but not much has happened since then. I've been working much of the weekends and was transferred to a project which is a bit far from where the boat is so not much progress. There has been a lot of work since hurricane Maria.

Nevertheless, the cockpit fiberglass work is 95% done and most of the bit of work that has been done is fairing :| I'll take some pictures today and see if i can post them.
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's