I have this B25 under contract, Survey time

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ttownthomas

I have this B25 under contract, Survey time

Post by Ttownthomas »

I have this boat under contract. Time for a survey.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/b ... i-3238119/

Assuming it passes the survey I will bring it from OH to NC and document the build here.

Facts about my boat choice:

I picked a 25 because I can fit it in my garage
I picked an open boat vs a convertible or hardtop for the same reason (will have to remove the window frame)
I prefer the dinette layout. THis boat, hopefully, spans family and fishing boat equally.
John F.

Re: I have this B25 under contract, Survey time

Post by John F. »

And you picked a fresh water boat. Very nice. Congratulations
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

That looks like a good one! Running, driving boat on a trailer for less than $10k. Clean it up and use it this summer, then tear it apart! :-D

You must a have BIG garage. On a trailer you'll need 30+ feet of depth and a minimum of 14 feet of width. Pretty tall, too.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

When you move up in boat size...do you have to build a bigger garage?

Nice, clean looking boat...
Best of luck with it and enjoy!

Looking forward to the build pictures.

...but if it were me, I'd try to get some use and enjoyment before diving into a build.
like 25 years worth.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

First off I have an awesome wife. Then I have a welder friend and were gonna build a cart/cradle like this (only lower) to keep it nice and low and eliminate the trailer tongue problem:

Imagefoto4_zps1f01c4a1 by ttownthomas, on Flickr

And my garage is L-Shaped. Here it is to scale.

ImageB25 in garage by ttownthomas, on Flickr
Last edited by Ttownthomas on Apr 5th, '19, 13:54, edited 3 times in total.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Congratulations!!!! I wish you many years of good times on board her.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

I currently have a Carolina Skiff 218 DLV Elite that will still be used until this is done.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Oh no...you must be an engineer!!! I thought I was the only one! I sneaked onto the board just before the ban took effect! :-D

What's your plan to lift the boat off the trailer and onto the cradle? That's the tricky bit! If that green trailer is junk, you might have an easier time modifying it to be short and low. Hack off the tongue, weld/bolt casters to the fame, jack up trailer and pull axles and springs, lower. You could re-assemble for trailering when it's done.

Where do you boat in NC? I'm in Wilmington (part time).

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

I'm not an engineer. Lol. But I had to be really sure it would fit.

I had no plan yet for the transfer. There are alot of issues. Driveway is steep, Garage is 90 degrees from the street, etc. One step at a time. :)

I have thought about cutting up the trailer, that is definitely a possibility. I will have to see if it is worth keeping. Any idea what a new trailer costs?

I'm in Cary NC. We usually boat around topsail.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I'll see you out on the north end of Lea island!

Not sure what a trailer would cost. Last year I worked with a well known custom trailer make out of Florida on a new trailer for my Bertram as mine is an antique (rebuilt once already). It was $6k - $7k. BUT...despite the "custom" reputation, they would not make a trailer to my specs, so I decided to re-work my old one again - tires/brakes/bearings, etc. My trailer is wide and the boat sits on it without hanging over the fenders too far. Standard trailer for a 25ft boat is too narrow in my opinion, but it will work. Bunks are difficult due to the lifting strakes.. can't use a straight board without interfering with the strakes. My old trailer has adjustable rollers...works fine.
1963 Bertram 25
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Yessir. Lea island is the spot we frequent. Never had the courage to take the skiff out the inlet though.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

That looks like a mostly unmolested moppie. The dinette and cabinetry / captain’s seat looks identical to a B25 I had about 20 years ago. I still have a copy of the an original owners manual, if you’d like a copy let me know and I’ll get it to you.

I’d also like to re-affirm what the other gents have said about getting some hours on her this summer before stripping her down. It’s April, probably be almost May by the time you get her to NC. If it’s running good I’d sure think it would be a good idea and a good time to use her this summer and learn what you like or don’t like about the set up.

Congratulations, hope the survey comes out well.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

"Bertram" has one on their website.

https://www.bertram.com/assets/manuals/ ... Manual.pdf

If you have something different from this I would love a copy.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Comments from the out of water part of the survey.
Surveyor has a good recommendation and was a personal referral.

Per Surveyor:

Boat is structurally sound, Cosmetically ok. Has an older paint job
A small bit of moisture in the front deck but not excessive. Says the front deck is very solid.
Cockpit deck has a small bit of moisture under the dinette. Not excessive.
Hull is sound and firm. Strakes look fine from the outside but they are under paint.
Stringers are solid, Checked visually, audibly and with meters.
Teak is decent, Head has been removed, original head plumbing is intact, Formica may be newer than the boat
On stbd stern-drive the skeg is broken off. Can't be welded apparently.

Boat is still in storage. Marina expects it to run since it was running when put into storage a year ago. Surveyor knows the broker and believes his hunch about the motors. Obviously there are no guarantees on a hunch.

I have to decide if a sea trial is worth it. I'd have to pay the surveyor to go back and do it Since Im not local to the boat.
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

Ttownthomas -

Congrats on the 25. I keep a 31 on Catawba Island, about 10 mins from Marblehead, if I can help at all please let me know. When do you plan to come to Ohio?

Charlie
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

If your not planning on running it, I'm not sure a sea trail will yield any useful information other than it floats. I guess it depends on how $$ you are spending. The engines/outdrives are worth scrap prices. Everything else, probably less.

Buy it cheap!
1963 Bertram 25
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

cariedl wrote:Ttownthomas -

Congrats on the 25. I keep a 31 on Catawba Island, about 10 mins from Marblehead, if I can help at all please let me know. When do you plan to come to Ohio?

Charlie
I'm not really sure when Ill make the trip. I'm from Toledo originally so Ill try and match up with a trip to see the folks.

Step 1: Marina has to unblock it and move it out
Step 2: Get the trailer over to a shop to evaluate is roadworthiness
Step 3: Come get the boat.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

CamB25 wrote:If your not planning on running it, I'm not sure a sea trail will yield any useful information other than it floats. I guess it depends on how $$ you are spending. The engines/outdrives are worth scrap prices. Everything else, probably less.

Buy it cheap!

I may run it a bit if it runs well, as suggested here on the forum, to see what I like and don't like about the layout.

I am still not sure what I'm gonna do with the running gear. SEI outdrives are only $1400 apiece. And I don't see (perhaps stubbornly) how these engines can't be serviced to be reliable. With good compression and new fuel and spark delivery systems along with all new wiring....

Like I said. Not sure.

Once I start the build they will at a minimum come out of the boat and be cleaned and painted along with everything else.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Sorry for the non-response. Things went south at work the last couple days and I haven’t logged on.

Yes the link is the same manual that I have. I forget that almost everything is available somewhere in PDF now days.

Good luck with the B25.