OIL & TRANSMISSION COOLERS

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

OIL & TRANSMISSION COOLERS

Post by Craig Mac »

I have Big Block gas motors and am looking for ideas on mounting coolers in a more accessible location as they are almost impossible to access.

I gave up trying to post pics -----but I have some old ads for Seamasters and Daytona Motors with the coolers mounted on what looks like BW transmissions.

Here is an address for a Seamaster pic.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1024& ... H7t2X-270M:
Carl

Re: OIL & TRANSMISSION COOLERS

Post by Carl »

As they are on hoses you can relocate them anywhere you like.

I had one down low under stringer, so I just installed longer brackets bringing them into reach so I could pop off hose and check for impeller pieces, condition of hose.

What I really moved was my Oil filter...on my motors the darn thing was angled horrible and I could not get the thing out from where it was without trying to slide it between some tough hoses by way of my finger being stuck in the hole of filter. Some came out with little mishap...others slide off my finger down into bilge...or hung up and tipped spilling some. So after many years I bought relocation kits, purchased some long hoses and I hung them up in an accessible spot, when I needed to change, I reached over, grabbed it of hook, unscrewed, replaced and hung it back up. So much easier....plus the extra oil in the two long HD hoses and larger filters gave me more oil and allowed oil to cool more before getting back into engine.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Craig,
Email the pics to me in the contact info and Ill post them but carl is right about the hose. If they are using pre molded hoses, replace with wire reinforced, get a length of it and cut to fit. Most of those coolers are either 1 1/8 or 1 1/4.

As far as the oil lines go, when you have them remounted measure the lengths and have new hoses made that will handle oil, temp and the proper pressure.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Bruce, what address should I use to send pics?