Main Engine fuse keeps popping

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Sunpacceo

Main Engine fuse keeps popping

Post by Sunpacceo »

Took my old girl out today and while just getting up to 3100 RPMs out of my home port, starboard engine shuts down, with no electrical power. After checking for obvious possible signs for the loss of power, I checked the main engine fuse in the vBerth for the starboard engine is was blown. It had a 20 amp fuse so I replaced with another and as soon as I flipped the switch "ON" for the circuit, the fuse burned again. I tried a 25 amp fuse and again and it burned as soon as I flipped the toggle switch.

I guess the obvious this is I have a short somewhere and now I need so help locating it. Does any now where this circuit goes after leaving the fuse in the vberth so I can slowly trace out this short. A schematic might help.
Boat: 86 Bertram 28 Flybridge with 5.7 mercruisers.
Thank you

Gary
kross1

Re: Main Engine fuse keeps popping

Post by kross1 »

I believe mine goes to a electrical terminal block that is under the gunwal near the dinette table. Then it goes up to the bridge. My terminal blocks were all corroded and needed to be changed along with all new terminals on the wires. Good luck hope this helps
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Sunpacceo

Post by Sunpacceo »

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 28 Bertram. It would be greatly appreciated.
Ghenderson@sunpacmfg.com
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I have all the wiring diagrams. I will send them to you tomorrow. Just a thought: if you had the ignition switch off when you blew the replacement fuses the problem has to be between the toggle switch and the ignition switch, most likely at one end or the other. I can't tell you how many of those v-berth toggle switches I have had fail over the years--they get old and brittle, the cases crack, the innards fall out, etc. There's a lot of wires and not a lot of room behind that panel, so maybe another switch failed, and the wire is grounding out the engine circuit
Sunpacceo

Post by Sunpacceo »

Thank you Tooez, I look forward to your email with the diagrams. Also, I took your suggestion regarding the ac install and dropped the lower floor of the salon seat to fit mine in that space. It works wonderful. I have a primary 5" duct blowing up from the left locker into the main area but need to find kind of distribution box as it is currently just free blowing. Any ideas for a vent or box for this area?

Thanks again,
Gary
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

E-mail sent. I have mine under the aft seat with the supply duct coming up behind the stbd. cabin liner just under the side deck. I have a splitter there, with one leg going to a vent box over the table, and the other leg going to a vent box on the stbd side of the v-berth. All the parts are available from Mermaid A/C.