exhaust water discharge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

Re: exhaust water discharge

Post by bob lico »

i had to put the fuel injection on hold because the weather became "favorable" to move the 38 " bertram down to Tom River NJ.wave height not bad around Sandy Hook NJ but became 6 footers outside Barnaget Bay towing at 9 knots took all day.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

All day was expected, making 9 knots is better then I expected to hear.

6 footers at Barnaget must have made for a Sporty entrance.

Assuming you made it safe a sound and glad its all behind you now.

Lousy not having control.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

When did you run it down? I was going to stop by John's on Monday but did not get a chance. I have to catch up with him before he gets backed up for spring.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
coolair

Post by coolair »

6 footers... doesn't mater what you are in. That is not fun. Makes towing eventful to say the least.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Carl

Post by Carl »

coolair wrote:6 footers... doesn't mater what you are in. That is not fun. Makes towing eventful to say the least.

Also depends on the waves period. 6' isn't much in a big ocean swell...at least not till it hits bottom near the shore and climbs.

Years ago I went to the beach shortly after a hurricane. It was flat...sort of. Made my way across the bay, across Ambrose Channel over to Rockaway point, had my bearings off the buoys, saw the point and chugged along. Went to check the point again and it was gone...couldn't see the rock pile nor the 10' tower at the end. At first its what the hell...then the tower appears, jetty is back, looked like a submarine coming up out of the ocean. Looked at the depth finder and we had 12-15' swell, that explained why boat seemed to run well, speed up then almost seem to fall off plane. I was thinking dirty carb again....but that swell completely covered the Jetty and tower time after time...then on the other side of the channel going into Coney Island it looked like Hawaii 5-0 with huge rollers crashing over the bar. I just remember thinking Holy Cow...if I wasn't paying attention I could have gone right into the Jetty.

Story has little to do with the 6' Bob had...but fun to tell.
That late afternoon breeze...
Wait and hope it subsides Or go in with the breeze in the dark
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

pounding waves broke a hole in the "idiot plastic docking lights" then boat took on water in bow from broken lights causing the boat to rudder.the boat made it to the hauling slip with 18" of water in bilge. A battery with a small bilge pump burnt out. tough day but over thank God. the boat renovation will be documented in the magazine" Big Game Fishing Journal "for others to learn balance, engine placement with regards to tankage placement and generator placement. I will give credit to Captain Patrick`s bridge design and installation.Rudders will be reworked and together with unique hydralic steering should give it somewhat of a 90 degree turn at wot. like my 31.the 38" has a keel that will effect turning radius but i don`t no to what extent.Radical changes would be changing ladder to bridge from port to starboard so a new hole in bridge floor.on and on to become a real pocket battleship in the world of offshore fishing.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Glad to see you made it to John's shop. I will be stopping by at some point. Hopefully I will see you there.

You should also look up Greg Thimmel he used to post here as Thumbs Up. He is totally redoing a 30 Chris Craft Sport Fisherman. He is only about 50 yards or so away from Johns shop.

He also makes a hell of an offshore lure that he sells.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john decided to move his boat and place the 38' Bertram dead center in front of his shop! rule number one never put the generator under the cockpit,water will seep down on it and destroy a genny in no time, so that`s exactly where i placed it.the C-7 catapillars are ready for install however the palm beach single levers on pod need Glenddening controls to work because gears are not electronic. expensive undertaking but must have single controls on Capt.Patricks pod.He designed a triple angled dash board ten years before they bacame the rage by all the top named sport fishing boats.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Don't worry I will find it. I know the place fairly well. I will try to take a look Monday morning.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Bob,

Sounds like a heck of a trip. Glad you made it safe.

Tony,

If you run into Greg tell him Danny from Texas says ‘hi’ I still have the swim platform off of his boat on my CC30. Tell him I’d sure like some pictures of the Thimmel Express. He ought to log in and say hi.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

there is a weekly movie on tv called sea disasters .every show some kind of mishaps occurs which led to another and another until the ship sinks. a ship underway turns sharp to avert a floating object causes the cargo to shift then water comes into the hole from misplaced cargo hatches and water causes further tilt. well the water coming in the front of the 38' Bertram thru those docking light would never occur if the engines were in place so the water stayed in the bow and cause the boat to rudder and ride deeper and deeper in the bow ,of course the only temporary bilge pump was in the stern.we are lucky we made it thru that inlet. all is well that ends well !!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Danny

I know he was getting close to painting. With winter he will be limited on boat work. Right nowe he is hitting the fishing and outdoor show circuit peddling his lures. I should see him at the NJ Salt Water Fishing Show.

I will tell him you said hello.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
coolair

Post by coolair »

I know the wave period really is what makes the bad. I think the last trip in cabo it was probably close to 10 footers but they were so far a part it wasn't bad.
I just looked at the forecast for Monday, they are calling for 6' ever 6 seconds.. that is not fun.

Bob why are you moving the ladder to the bridge? That puts in right in front of the door from the salon, does it not?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the 38' Bertram has the bridge ladder on the far port side of the cockpit to the bridge.needless to say when the captain has to get to his pilot seat he has to cross over the passenger seat,difficult to snake past the chair with a person sitting or empty. the reconfigure bridge has a 30 degree angle followed by a straight (center) then another 30 degree angle. there is a walk thru on the far starboard this is were the ladder will go similar to the new 61 Bertram.the ladder is installed parallel to the starboard side of cockpit rather than cockpit floor to bridge like it is now.quite a bit of work considering i need to put a hole in bridge floor.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Coolair I competed the Corvette fuel injection project and it turned out better than I could have ever imagine.fire up on two turns,perfect idle as the computer "learned" the engine after I put in the parameters.we went for a test ride after driving for a 1/2 hour and went 0 to 120mph ,the engine ran flawless. air/fuel ration perfect 14 to 14.5 under acceleration,seriously ------perfect.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
coolair

Post by coolair »

Bob. I forgot, you are working on an older 38, correct? so the salon door is in the center...

Keep us posted on the fuel injection. Before its all said and done i still may install it. After speaking with a company that does fuel injection he expressed concerns of the sniper systems reliability on the water. If it were him he would use the terminator set up. He said the sniper is a great system and they have not had alot of problems, but they have had some issues with little stuff like the TPS. And for him being off shore and loosing a TPS is alot different than losing it driving down the street. He said the terminator stuff was just more "robust"

my biggest problem would be mounting the O2 sensors, but i guess if i am dropping the money on custom exhaust risers I can have them add the ports.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Carl

Post by Carl »

coolair wrote: Keep us posted on the fuel injection. Before its all said and done i still may install it.

Sometimes its best to just run what you have and enjoy...when you get to that project you get to it, but til then boats used.

Then again I said that about painting mine some 25 years ago...so far I did the deck and panels around the cockpit.
coolair

Post by coolair »

I am just about at the point of needing to have these built. I emailed Marine manifold to find out their leed time, but have not hear back.
Carl you had mentioned previously that the inner pipes are normally 2.25". The opening coming off my manifolds are 2.5". Considering I am wanting more low end torque, wondering everyones thoughts on which would be better or considering these are pretty much stock does it really matter?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854