Standard Crusader/Velvet Drive Mount Configuration?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Nardi

Standard Crusader/Velvet Drive Mount Configuration?

Post by John Nardi »

Hi Guys....Can you tell me if the standard installation of 454 Crusaders with 72C Velvet Drives used straight or down angle configuration?? Thanks John
Stephan

Re: Standard Crusader/Velvet Drive Mount Configuration?

Post by Stephan »

John-
I have Crusader 454s and Velvet Drives. I believe they are straight but will get the transmission numbers and/or pictures if that helps you.
Regards,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
coolair

Post by coolair »

John they are straight configuration. On my boat the engines were sloped down and there was a wedge adapter so the carb would sit level. That also seems to be the case in the service manual I have it shows them as a straight through. There is a difference in the rotation of the pump though.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Thanks for the reply...Interesting, I have to look into that wedge adapter once I do the install...I guess carbs must be absolutely level?? Thanks, John
Carl

Post by Carl »

I don't think absolutely level is needed...but close.

I don't think idling around with carb at 10-15 degrees is much of an issue. But now put the boat on plane or climb up the back of a wave.
That has to add 20-30 degrees more angle to the already angled motor, I'm thinking carbs are not meant to be run at those angles.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

John,
I see your going with the 454"s that are carbed. I had 440 Chryslers with direct drive 72 series, they were terrible on fuel 60 gallons for a 40 mile run and would only push the boat at 30 MPH on a good day down sea down wind, before I changed over to the Mercruiser 454"s with throttle bodied fuel injection with 63A Hurth 8 degree down angle. I left the low profile struts that I had with the 440's in place, just replaced the cutlass bearings when I changed over just added bigger wheels 17x19 with a medium cup. Couldn't burn more than 25 GPH at wide open throttle which was 4400RPMs at 41.8 on the North Star 952 GPS. For the 40 mile run I used to burn 28 gallons The 440's had a wedge to keep the carbs almost level.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Thanks Pete...I will most probably be reaching out as this install goes forward...Best, John