Post hurricane engine issues

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

farmer

Post hurricane engine issues

Post by farmer »

My brother has a 1973 45 Hatteras with huge detroits. Boat survived hurricane Michael but now one engine won't turn over. Pulled injectors seems to be dry, boat did not take on water. Boat was beat up in marina pretty good. Any ideas appreciated? Boat ran day before storm.
Tony Meola

Re: Post hurricane engine issues

Post by Tony Meola »

When you say it will not turn over, I assume the starter is engaging and the engine is frozen. Maybe water backed up through the exhaust into the cylinder's. Pull all the injectors and see if it spins with all of them out. If it does then I bet you blow water out at least one cylinder. Sounds like hydro lock.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Farmer,
You said the boat got beat pretty bad, in the slip. I would check all the battery connections and grounds for the engine, something might have worked loose from the pounding. I would also check for water into the exhaust backing up from the surge of the waves. Also check the ignition switch water could have worked into it. Good luck.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
farmer

Post by farmer »

He finally got it to move , soaked in rust penaTrent . Must have got a dab of salt water blown in exhaust.
Strela_999

Post by Strela_999 »

Definitely sounds like it; at least it will be an easy fix, maybe a couple small things will have to be changed, but nothing terrible, it isn't as if the main frame was cracked or something along these lines.