Jasper rebuilt engines

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Jasper rebuilt engines

Post by pschauss »

I tracked down the mechanic who did most of the work on my boat for the previous owner and he mentioned that the engines (454s) were Jasper rebuilds. A Google search on Jasper turns up a good bit of negative information about the company. Has anyone here had any experience with their products?

The mechanic said some other things which don't exactly match what I have observed on the boat so I am not certain that he is remembering correctly. The serial numbers plates on the engines, which I believe are on the bell housings, have numbers which match the numbers on the survey from 1984. If someone had replaced the engines with long blocks would they have kept the original bell housings? Is there anything else on these motors which might identify them?

The rebuilds, if that is what they are, had to have been installed at least five years ago and I am guessing that they might have 100 to 200 hours on them. (The hour meters were not working when I got the boat.) I am hoping that any problems with these engines would have become noticeable in that time frame. I have put about 15 hours on the engines this summer. They have not used any oil and the oil is so clean that it is hard to see on the dipstick. At 3000 rpm the GPS shows me doing 21-22 knots. I am planning to do a compression test next week.

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Jasper rebuilt engines

Post by Bruce »

Would not touch one if it was the last engine on earth that would take me away from a nuke explosion.

Yes they would use the original bellhousing and all blocks have numbers on them. Some above the starter, some on front of engine where block and head join, some on top back of block below intake. Depends on engine maker. Your GM will be front left looking at it where head meets block in front.

Most commercial rebuilders put a melt disc on the block or back of head.
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

When you repower with long blocks you use the original bell housing, motor mounts, starter, alternator, exhaust, etc. You have to be careful about internet reviews about anything, I think--very few people take the time to write about a good experience, only when they have a problem. That being said, if you see the same comments and problems reported by different people, take heed.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I would not worry about the engines being Jasper engines. I hear what Bruce is saying. If a rebuilt long block uus sold at an inexpensive price as compared to a custom machine shop rebuild, you really do have to wonder how they cut the vost. Maybe a can was re-used maybe some piston. Does not mean they are going to die on you tomorrow.

They could last 500 hours or 2000 hours who knows. Maybe you will only have lifters hanging up. Who knows. Heck we needed to replace lifters on one engine after 500 hours. That one engine was always an issue for us.

One never knows.

Fix all the small problems as they come up. Do your maintenance as required and enjoy the boat. Hopefully five yessrs from now you will wonder why you worried about them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Peter Schauss,
I have a Jasper remand 3.6 L V-6 in my 2006 Cadillac SRX. I put it in back in 2016. After the original Cadillac engine put 3 timing chains thru the valve covers while driving down the road at 98K miles. They wouldn't cover it because it only had a 50K warranty when I bought it in 2009. Cadillac dealer wanted $4200 just to replace the timing chains, I got the remand engine with a 3 year 100K warranty for $3500.00. Not a bit of problems so far only 10K since 2016, but a marine engine is a different beast. If I were repowering I would check will Mack Boring on long block pricing. I think Mercruiser has a line of remanded motors or at least they used to.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Pete,

It's good to hear from someone who did not have a negative experience with Jasper. I am going to follow Tony's advice to maintain and repair these engines as necessary. As I noted in my original post, I am guessing that the rebuilds were installed about five years ago along with other repairs for damage from Hurricane Sandy. That's probably enough time to shake out any problems they might have had. The previous owner was 93 when he died two years ago and he had a couple of young guys (one was a friend of my son) driving her for him and I suspect that they pushed her pretty hard when he was not looking.

So far the only problems I have had were ignition related. Fifteen hours after the last oil change they have not used any oil and the oil looks clean. If these engines go south on me I will be back for advice on where to get quality long blocks. Meanwhile, I am keeping my Sea Tow membership paid up.

Good luck with your knee surgery.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Carl

Post by Carl »

I have boat friends that have used without a problem.
I met a guy last season that lost a wrist pin after a season.

They push out a lot of motors for a low price which leads one to believe some corners get cut. Questionable parts to questionable assemblers not catching or careing if something seems a bit "off" as the go along the process. That makes for motors with no issues and some that may...

Customer/friend works in a marine yard doing a good many motor swaps...he used to allow client to buy motor, where many opted for cheap causing him headaches as 1 or 2 in 10 had a problem. For him that meant pull boat, pull motor, install new motor and client was unhappy and didn't want to pay as they somehow felt he had something to do with it or he was just the guy at the bottom. So for him, he stopped allowing client to use Jasper and it was factory from him or they could use someone else.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Thanks for all of your comments. They echo what I saw on the internet. The good news in my case is that most of the complaints which turned up in my Google search talked about engines which failed immediately and mine have at least five years of use to shake out any of the rebuilder's short cuts. The other positive is that, before my conversation with the mechanic, I was assuming that I had a pair of 40 year old engines with at least 1800 hours on them, possibly near the end of their useful life. I will keep an eye on them, try not to push them too hard, and keep my Sea Tow membership paid up.

So far, I have good oil pressure in both engines and they don't overheat of burn oil.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Odds are they will be fine for you! Take care of them but start a fund for mew engines so it won't hurt too bad if one goes south.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Rawleigh wrote:Odds are they will be fine for you! Take care of them but start a fund for mew engines so it won't hurt too bad if one goes south.
We started the fund for new engines when we bought the boat because we assumed that they were original. As this season progressed, I did wonder how it was possible that forty year old engines could keep the oil so clean and not consume any of it.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Carl

Post by Carl »

pschauss wrote:
We started the fund for new engines when we bought the boat because we assumed that they were original. As this season progressed, I did wonder how it was possible that forty year old engines could keep the oil so clean and not consume any of it.
My motors are 40 years old, with a conservative 3-4k hours on them since they were rebuilt in the 90's as they had a couple thousand hours on them. One motors uses hardly any oil the other is a tough call as the rear main has leaked since they were rebuilt. They may not run quite as strong as they used to, I de-pitched wheels a little last year to bring motors to correct WOT but they run very well, very dependable but I do wonder how many times a crank can go around...

As to Jasper and other big shop re-built motors...if 2 in 10 are bad, 2 in 10 are not great and 2 in 10 are ok that leaves 4 in 10 that are good motors. Not a great number, but fine if your one of those 4 in 10 with the good motors. If they were all bad motors, they'd be out of business.

Keep the fund going...you have a boat, you'll find something to do with it I am sure.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Carl wrote: I de-pitched wheels a little last year to bring motors to correct WOT but they run very well
If they are not burning or leaking oil and if the seawater and antifreeze are staying in their spots you may be lucky like me and have a really good experience. I know my wheels are a little undersized from years of service and a little under pitched. I've been told and come to believe this is important to the longevity of my engines.
I use Blackstone Labs https://www.blackstone-labs.com/engine-types/marine/ for oil analysis and keep a close eye on the risers and temperatures. A cheap IR thermometer https://www.harborfreight.com/infrared- ... 93984.html lets me follow the temps for the blocks, risers and transmissions.
I have resigned myself that my boat with neither be the fastest nor the most efficient but it brings me and my family great fun.
Good luck.
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Carl

Post by Carl »

Stephan wrote:
....and keep a close eye on the risers and temperatures. A cheap IR thermometer lets me follow the temps for the blocks, risers and transmissions.
I use the least expensive IR thermometer on the market. When running I have Doreen or a bud take the wheel so I can lift hatches to lay hands on and feel manifolds, risers, hoses, I want to see and feel if all is normal or maybe somethings a bit off so I can address or just keep an eye on it, doesn't hurt to take a peek at exhaust coming out for flow and feel temp of water coming out. While I'm at it, I'll check packing glands, rudder ports and see if we have water accumulating in the transom, makes sure weep holes are weeping etc etc.

Stephan wrote: I have resigned myself that my boat with neither be the fastest nor the most efficient but it brings me and my family great fun.
Good luck.
Stephan
Problem with fast is someone is always faster. As to efficient, I do not know what efficient in boating is...

I did fast with other boats years ago and enjoyed it. Now I'm happy getting out...cruise at 19mph or a howdy 7mph for a ride to nowhere. If we get to the beach in 45 minutes or it takes us an hour...whats the difference.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I remember back in the Mid to pre mid 70's when there was not much around that could run with our 31's. I remember heading out one day and a guy in an outboard got right up on our stern and we just gassed it and left him sitting there. That was when 100 horse's was big for an outboard.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:That was when 100 horse's was big for an outboard.
things have changed for sure.

...today they shove 300+ hp into stock wave runners and the "Stock" speed is governed to 65mph.

Seven Marine outboards are 625hp off the floor...Boat Power is dictated by how many you want, how many can you fit and how many can you afford.

Big heavy boats have taken a back seat to make'em thinner, make'em lighter, make'em faster and I want AC, fridge, microwave, bed, head with shower,hot water, settee, wet bar, ice maker, big sound system and don't forget the colored lights...above and beneath the water.
OR have gone to center consoles with a dozen outboards hanging off the back.

Seems boats today either have too much crap or not enough of it for me. I walk around boat shows going nope, nope, nope, nope nope, not for me.

hmm topic drift....
...if motors made it this far, I'd say you got a good pair from Jasper.
Keep up on the maintenance and enjoy.