Advice needed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Advice needed

Post by Rickysa »

Not to get into too many details, but I commissioned a hardtop (half tower) for my FBC. I gave the fabricator the specs used for "Lightning Shack" as a guide. I asked for a "custom" electronics box designed to fit all new electronics which I bought through the fabricator. A trailer was arranged so that he could do the work at his shop and thus beat the summer rush (this is early April).

Fast forward to the end of September and this is what was delivered to the welder as the finished product (pics to follow)...What would you request be done to finish the project?

The surface is very rough:

The electronics package includes a radar dome.
Rawleigh

Re: Advice needed

Post by Rawleigh »

I personally would want my money back!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

what Rawleigh said... and the threat of a lawsuit ....
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rickysa wrote: What would you request be done to finish the project?

What exactly did you have commissioned?

Rough glass work for you to fit, prep, prime and paint and install on your own welded structure?
Or
A finished hardtop with welded structure and installation? or something in between?

Assuming a finished hardtop...

Lets give the benefit of the doubt going with he brought rough items to welder for measurements and to figure how to secure, run wires etc, then going back for fit and finish after. I'd call fabricator, telling him welder has what he needs and parts are ready to be picked up for finishing now.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Lets give the benefit of the doubt going with he brought rough items to welder for measurements and to figure how to secure, run wires etc, then going back for fit and finish after. I'd call fabricator, telling him welder has what he needs and parts are ready to be picked up for finishing now.
Won't speak to me and told welder he was done, maybe a little touch-up when the welder was finished.
A finished hardtop with welded structure and installation?
This.
I personally would want my money back!
That option is on the table, but doubtfully possible (blood out of a turnip)
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

...and as a bit of an aside, for those of you that have had glasswork fabrication done before, what $$ value would you put on what you see in the pics?
neil

Post by neil »

Try to get your money back and build a nice one
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

and build a nice one
yep, well that was the idea in the first place! :-D

The only experience I've had in having FG parts made is when Capt. Pat did a goodly amount of work on the first 31 I had, so you know the quality of that work.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'd play dumb and show up at his place with top and box for him to finish, so he can get his final payment.

What does that cost...tough call. For me, not much as I can do a 1/2 a$$ed project for the cost of materials and some time. The money is in the finishing touches...whether they come after with sanding and paint or before with a prime mold that releases a finished gelcoated part.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

he can get his final payment...

What does that cost...tough call
For what I've got in it, I don't think any more $$ will be changing hands.

I'd rather not post the amount but for anyone curious, I'd be happy to PM you and have you respond here.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hi Ricky,
Sorry that you are being put through this grief. Boating is supposed to be fun, and even retro-fitting and customizing our boats should be an enjoyable adventure. I remember that a boatyard did shoddy work for you on your Bahia Mar (Miss Olive?), so it's doubly painful to have it happen again.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

(Miss Olive?)
Great memory Tommy, yes that was her. This individual came recommended and bragged that he doesn't advertise but gets all his new business by word of mouth.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Word on the street is there are some low quality pipe bombs going around.....

Too soon?
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Carl

Post by Carl »

MarkS wrote:Word on the street is there are some low quality pipe bombs going around.....

Too soon?

maybe a little...
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

You’re probably right Carl. I find as I age my filter continues to degrade. Conversely my bullshit meter seems to be more sensitive.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

Ricky -

This is a total bummer on the hard top. If I remember correctly, you posted earlier this year that someone gave you an 8x8 hard top, is that what is pictured? Was any work done by the fabricator to that big square strapped to the bed of the pickup? You mention Lightning Shack's design, am I to understand correctly that the fabricator is saying what you show in pictures is a match to that?

Not to sound too harsh here, but I would start over and let my lawyer sort out getting my money back. As for dollar value to what I see in the pics, I'd place it right at whatever cost I'd have in fuel getting to the dump, plus whatever the dump charged me for leaving it there.

Hopefully you're able to get it sorted out, nothing more frustrating than getting screwed by someone on boat projects.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I give you credit Mark, you did ask.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

someone gave you an 8x8 hard top, is that what is pictured?
Unfortunately no.
Was any work done by the fabricator to that big square strapped to the bed of the pickup
No, that's the hardtop he built.
You mention Lightning Shack's design, am I to understand correctly that the fabricator is saying what you show in pictures is a match to that?
No, he decided he wanted to design his own. (I'm thinking he couldn't read the specs)
As for dollar value to what I see in the pics, I'd place it right at whatever cost I'd have in fuel getting to the dump, plus whatever the dump charged me for leaving it there.

Yep, my thoughts too.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Time to Feed the Hogs.............
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Sorry that happened to you Ricky. I was going to give you a different route to take on getting your money back and getting a little satisfaction. I lived in Florida and once got cheated on some concrete driveways. I paid a concrete guy to do about 6 big jobs for me and everything was going great. I pay the advance, he pours and finishes the concrete. I pay the rest. Going great! No issues at all. Then he gets a $7k advance on the start of the third driveway and I literally never saw him again! Gone!! I went through the usual "I'm an idiot" ect ect.... How dare we actually trust people!? I didn't want to hire a lawyer because it would cost more than the whole deal so this is what I did. I know the rules of your state are probably a little different but I'm sure they are probably close. Go file a small claims court case. It cost like twenty bucks. Serve him how they say to serve him. Normally you mail it regular mail and send one certified. Then the court date comes and I'd bet you a cold beer or two he doesn't show up. If he does, great! You then take your judgement against him and file it with the state (different department) when he loses. They put it on his credit and also make it where if he ever sells his house or tries to buy one he has to pay the judgement. He pays interest and fees and your cost. In Florida you can actually have the Sheriff repossess his car and auction it. I didn't go that route. You never mess with a mans truck! LOL The judgement last for 10 years in Florida and can be renewed for another 10 years. Now back to my concrete guy. I totally forgot about the judgement. About 10 months ago an attorney calls me and says she needs to get a hold of me ASAP to pay a judgement off. It was 9 1/2 years later and he was selling his house and needed to pay the judgement to close. $15,300! The miracle of compounding interest and sweet justice!! He out performed the stock market. Good-luck and if you need some hardtop pictures I have one my 31' FBC you could reference. I wish I had that square of fiberglass you have out in Phoenix. I'd use it to cover my pool equipment. lol
Ernie Sandoval
86’ 31 Bertram-BERGAG23D686