Barnacle Buster flush for Generator and AC System

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Barnacle Buster flush for Generator and AC System

Post by SteveM »

Would appreciate some feedback from the sandbox on this one.
I recently was trouble shooting my NextGen 3.5k generator. It was not flowing much water out the exhaust. The temp sensor failed as it heated up.
At first I thought it was a slight amount of calcium accumulated in the riser can. Pic below of a new riser can and elbow that I recently put in it's place. Also installed a new temp sensor.
The generator turned on but still did not push much water out the exhaust. I pulled a hose from the vented loop which then goes to the riser can. I got plenty of flow from the vented loop. But noticed in the bucket with the water from the tube, some calcium crud. Ran it till the crud stopped. Then I figured I better check the riser can again and the elbow fitting. See videos below. Heavy crud.
The support guy at NextGen says I should run Barnacle Buster through the system.
Has anyone had experience in treating their generator with Barnacle Buster? If so, I'd like to hear from you in how you plumbed it in there, as well as how long you let is sit in there? Do I take out the zinc or or any other tips?
My sea strainer for this system also feeds the Air Conditioner, which probably could use the same treatment.
Thank you.

https://youtu.be/2PyfQgNabqo

https://youtu.be/WzOhoFpbAwg

Here's a pic of the new riser can and elbow.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AmvjVHMoxuWJyf79A
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
SteveM

Re: Barnacle Buster flush for Generator and AC System

Post by SteveM »

Admins, I've tried to embed the YouTube and the photo images with the tools on the site. I gave up and just provided the URLs. If you can fix, thank you.
Steve Marinak
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I was having overheating issues and I paid a guy to flush my engines. He had a bucket, some hoses, rubber gloves, and some dilute muriatic acid. He pumped it through raw water side of the cooling system for a couple of hours on each engine, flushed with water, and it seemed to work well. That was a few years ago.

Yanmar 4LHA-STE Original everything (except filters and impellers).
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I found this on YouTube.
Looks like the ticket...but man! They get $430 for that bucket system? https://youtu.be/c0A1YF3ds0o
Steve Marinak
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Not sure what type of pump they are using but figure $200 for the pump. Another $100 for the fittings, bucket and hose and you are in business.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
The barnacle buster is basically Muriatic Acid your boat shouldn't have that much build up if your still keeping it on the lift in Florida, in the Bahamas they grow like crazy in the warm water. I never used Barnacle Buster but what does it do to the inside of your hoses. I used to use a wire brush on the end of a battery drill to clean out the thru hulls and hoses on my boat. The wire brush was a cone shaped that I got at Harbor Freight in Lake Worth. I would be careful using the Barnacle Buster in your air conditioner because of the small tubes in the AC compressor
Ask Bruce what he recommends
Pete Fallon.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Pete,
I'm sure all the growth came from when the boat was in the canal behind my parents house. The barnacle growth on the bottom there was out of control. I had the bottom cleaners coming by on a steady basis and they couldn't keep up.
The boat is now on a lift, but I think all the garbage was from a year ago.
NextGen recommended this guy to flush the systems. This is all he does and travels around doing this. I'll have him do it once next week and go from there. http://www.overtempmarine.com
Steve Marinak
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

SteveM wrote:Pete,
I'm sure all the growth came from when the boat was in the canal behind my parents house. The barnacle growth on the bottom there was out of control. I had the bottom cleaners coming by on a steady basis and they couldn't keep up.
The boat is now on a lift, but I think all the garbage was from a year ago.
NextGen recommended this guy to flush the systems. This is all he does and travels around doing this. I'll have him do it once next week and go from there. http://www.overtempmarine.com

That's the guy who did mine.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

As an FYI I just got the Hamilton Marine flyer and they have the Port O Flush Jr. on Sale for 293.99 and Barnacle Buster at $24.99 a gallon if you are son inclined to do this yourself.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315