Bow Chock and Non-Skid

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CamB25

Bow Chock and Non-Skid

Post by CamB25 »

Installing some bling while I wait for the hull paint:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/jxz ... J7aJV04gUO

The bow chock sits back from the edge of the cap enough to allow lines to rub against the leading edge of the cap. When I bought this boat/project/lifestyle back in 2009, the gel coat was completely rubbed through to glass. I would like to protect this area in some way. I would be great to custom make a piece to wrap around the bow, but that is probably not going to happen. I was thinking about installing some clear vinyl tape for this area. Any thoughts?

Non-Skid:

I followed this method for non-skid on the cap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWqwi2q94pU

The result is good. It is a PITA to tape off and I had a couple of areas where the tape did not 100% prevent bleed through, but overall I am pleased. The medium grit soft sand seems perfect in terms of grip. The method is a roll-on application of paint, so I switched to to Awlgrip Oyster white in place of Awlcraft 2000. Color seem identical to me. I will use this method for the deck non-skid when it returns from paint.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Lars

Re: Bow Chock and Non-Skid

Post by Lars »

This is going to be such a beauty!!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

What are those vents up on the bow for?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Peter,

Those are the original anchor locker vents. They are non-functional now, but I wanted to pay homage to the original design so I re-installed them. There is a weep hole in the back to let water drain out. Just decorative "bling".
1963 Bertram 25
John F.

Post by John F. »

I've seen stainless pieces that you can screw down in the cap that will protect your paint. They look like short pieces of half round rub rail but they taper at the end do they look pretty good. The bow on Crows Nest is set up sort of like yours and I was concerned about my the bowline rubbing through. I risked it because I liked the look, and it's been fine. I figured that if it started to rub through the paint, I'd get those stainless pieces then and I'd know where to put them. Boat looks great
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Cam,

This is a piece of art, man. Congratulations !
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

If you are tying to a floating dock or something below the rub rail could be a problem but if the lines are up on a pole or dock it’s never an issue. I wouldn’t do anything now.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Cam,

Your boat is looking amazing. The curved detail where you merge in the non skid to the top cap looks real nice.

One of the things I love most about the bertram is the chrome detail on the bow, the bow chock is a work of art

Did you have any of the chrome re-done? my bow vents are starting to peel and am curious how bad of an ouch it will be to get them re-chromed
Lars

Post by Lars »

I realise how much sweat & elbow grease went into that nicely flowing front coaming - turned out absolutely brilliant!

Agree with Peter and John; wouldn't do anything about the area in front of the chock until you see that it is necessary. Not convinced a piece of stainless would look good. Perhaps powder coated white if absolutely needed.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Thanks! Yes, the chrome was completely shot when I bought the boat, so everything was re-done. The price was high, the result just OK. I re-did all 4 vents - used 2 and sent 2 to someone on the board a few years ago.

The boat spent many years on a mooring and float dock and the lines rubbed through the gel coat. I expect to store the boat on a floating dock. I might experiment with something like this as a sacrificial wear plate:

https://www.amazon.com/12-Adhesive-Viny ... B00MEONQLU

With some heat I might get it to conform to the shape of the bow.
1963 Bertram 25