Class action Law suit against Cummings by Ocean for 6BTA's?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Class action Law suit against Cummings by Ocean for 6BTA's?

Post by Carl »

A buddy of mine is avidly looking for a 32 Ocean (1989-1992), particuliarly with Cummings 6BTA's. Recently he was told Ocean had filed a class action law suit against Cummings. I know a bunch of these engines where in our 31's, does anyone know anything about the issue with Ocean or just the engines themselves?

Thanks for any input....wish I could talk him into a 31 but he says he has mine and wants more room...oh well.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Carl,

The '32 Osh*t Yacht is one of the worst models they ever built... Overly stiff, hard riding, and prone to hull cracks along the axis of the out board stringers. They were, like most Ocean Rots of the period, poorly built, thin hulled, and tons of unsealed plywood to rot away.

The hull splitting issue came from the fact that the stringers were not always properly bonded to the hull & tabbing was allowed to undercut the space between the hull & stringer. The tabbing then acts like a spring when the hull flexes over the water & eventually the hull actually shears along the hard line of the stringer.

Can't answer the Cummins question, but I'd bet whatever the problem is, it's more likely Ocean's fault with the way the engines are installed below the cabin deck and lack of adequate free air delivery to the engine room.

Yup, I do have first hand knowledge on at least one, (about a $25,000 repair bill back in '92 & Ocean's stand was "So sue us..."), and researched info on about 4 others that sank in various waters.

Probably the worst model they ever did... Hope your buddy rethinks his interest on the 32' Ocean. The only half way decent model they did, prior to the 53' was the old 48' Super Sport of the same period.

Br,

Patrick
Carl

Post by Carl »

Capt. Pat. thank you for passing along that knowledge. I was aware the Flexible Flyer's had problems in the larger sizes with hull fatigue and learned recentely the 29 is extremely tender, so tender many companies won't insure with a Hardtop due to this additional weight changing the center of gravity and makeing prone to capsizing.

Not sure why so many people, including myself, seems to think they made a quality boat...seems they had some rather large problems, maybe just really good PR.

Thanks Again.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Damn, I'd almost forgotten about the 29'... That really was an awful boat. Lots of them sank, or came close to it.

I ran Mike Calvi's '88 48' SS for a couple of years and actually enjoyed the boat. You had to be aware that you were going to sea in an egg shell and avoid following seas, or at least know how to deal with 'em, but the old 48' was a fun boat & we kept it in mint condition. Built my first livewell into the cockpit deck on the "Sea Hawk".

Ocean Yacht was, & I assume still is, structured on building a cheap, (not to be confused with inexpensive), boat that would fit Daddy's pocket book, go fast & economical to the canyons, and developed a marketing ploy for Momma. They make, (cheaply), an interior that she goes ga-ga over & let's Daddy break out the check book.

Everything about the company is marketing aimed at the poor boy wanting to have a big toy but can't afford quality. Their boats are in the same league as Bayliner and Carver as far as quality goes...

Br,

Patrick
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ole Fart, you hit the nail on the head.....the late guy (to you yankees, the guy be's dead) that I got AJ from "moved up" from a B31 to an Osh*t 48 with 6-71 TIBs. My son ran it for him a couple of years. I remember sitting on the tackle center in the cockpit with my back against the aft cabin bulkhead and feeling the whole boat just flexing...not a half inch, but like enough to make me real uncomfortable. And this was in 2' seas.......remember one time coming in South Pass in a pretty big following sea it broaching by the end of the jetty..... just took off to stb, no rudder or engine inputs could control it.....had to stop, spin it, and slowly take off again. Like you say tho, it was pretty inside, had one of those bars with the automatic booze deals, like a floating brothel.

Every time I'd come in South Pass in AJ at full bore, like on railroad tracks, I'd think about the broaching....any of you guys ever been on a round bottom boat that broached? Make you scramble for your rosary.

UV
Carl

Post by Carl »

Really Bayliner and Carver quality...looking at them I did not feel they where "that bad", then again we never got far enough along to get to an initial sea trial.

If you don't mind can I pick your brains on some alternate choices he has been considering.

1989 32 Albermarle w/ 3208T cats
1986 35 Viking w/ 3208T cats
1986 34 Pacemaker 454 gas with intention to install diesels

Initail 1996+ 32 Luhrs Tornament was considered, but now that is a boat I put at the Silverton, Carver quality levels.

Maybe it would be best to ask what you considered a decent quality boat in the 30-35' range that has the lines of those boats. He does not like Hatteras lines much, Bertams have too much roll for him, think the Albermarle will too for that matter.

Thanks Again,
Carl
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

34 Hatt is a nice boat. 36 Topaz is pretty sweet too.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Sim,

Out of the three the 35 Viking is a good solid boat but your buddy better be double jointed and skinny to work on those motors in that boat.
Tight fit to say the least.

Your totaly wrong on the 32 Luhrs (open).
With Yanmars, that's one hell of a boat and dry to boot unlike the 31. Great fishing platform. Built real solid. Repowered many and know every inch of those boats. Cummins make the fit real tight and tough to work on.

Pre 90's boats were crap.

If I were to have a choice of all the boats you mentioned, I would choose the Luhrs hands down, no question, no thinking twice.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Carl,

In that vintage range, Viking & Pacemaker were pretty much competing for the same customer level as was Ocean, so quality wise not a whole lot of difference. Viking really didn't emerge into the quality range until after '95 & then only because of their association with Man Diesel. Mater of fact, Viking had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel at the time, (around '90-'91), Man partnered with them for R&D.

Albemarle was never a favorite boat of mine, primarily from a design stand point, so I never looked too closely at their quality.

I'm obviously prejudiced toward Bertrams so excluding them from the options doesn't leave me with many choices in the late eighties, early nineties 30' - 35' range.

The most solid older boat I ever ran was a 45' Chris Craft Commander with a pair of freshly overhauled 6V71s. Other than being slow, was a hellova' boat.

Out of those you listed, only the Viking would get me to take a closer look.

As always, a competent marine surveyor, a good mechanic for engine survey, and a lot of patience are the real keys to finding a good boat...

Br,

Patrick
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

A friend of mine lost his gas powered 1988 33 Bert FBC in the big explosion in Danvers, MA last Nov. We started looking at boats as soon as he got the check from the insurance company.

We thought maybe he should expand his horizons a tad and check out 35 Vikes and 36 Hatts. Both boats we looked at were mid 80's with 3208 Cats (320p for the Vike and 355hp for the Hatt) which was the same diesel option for the later 33's (though at 260hp). I would say the condition of both boats was pretty good.

What we didn't care for was the fit and finish on either boat. We also did not like the layout of the systems. You could not step into the bilge on the Hatt without stepping on the batteries, and you could not lay your hands on the shafts of the Vike without contorting your body. There were a number of other quirks that we did not like as well.

Finally, both of these boats are wider than the 33's (12-6 for the Bert, 13-7 for the Hatt, and 13-1 for the Vike). When I was in the bilge of both boats, I could not squeeze my shoulders between the exhaust manifolds of the 3208's. I have been on a few 33's with 3208's and I could turn completely around without touching the engines.

He smartened up and found a bank owned 1989 33 FBC that never had ethanol and is just finishing dropping in a set of 6BTA factory remans.

I'd always believed that Bert, Vike, and Hatt were pretty equal. Maybe on the big stuff they are, but on the smaller stuff its not even close.
Regards,

Doug L.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I believe the Luhrs Open is the newer Express style, correct.

If so, I don't know much about them other then they look great, seems easy to clean, he likes them as well...his wife don't.

What he is looking at was the Tournament / Convertable Flybridge models with the Blackout windows.

I was not overly impressed with boat other then looks, lots of cheap looking upholstry and countertops, the area where the front windows and inside counters came together was seperated on most boats we looked at.
Maybe worth a second look and a ride if it is otherwise a solid platform.

Thanks again for input. No matter what he decides on I will push for both marine and engine survey.

Unfortunately many surveyors will tell you the boat is in good shape, but may not tell you it is in good shape for a piece of cr@p. I read the survey's for the Oceans, they didn't mention anything about being tender or cracking along stringers. Then again I guess it depends on surveyor.. got the point.

Carl
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

they didn't mention anything about being tender or cracking along stringers. Then again I guess it depends on surveyor.. got the point.
The only time a surveyor will let someone know what is a piece of crap, is when you've written them the check and their walking away telling someone else that you just bought a crap box.

Your friends here are supposed to let you know what will float or sink in the toilet bowl.

I will agree with you that I am not impressed with the Luhrs flybridge models.

He's gonna find it almost impossible to get a good interior on an 80's boat unless it has been redone.
...his wife don't
There are some things a women should not be involved with, and buying a boat is one of them unless he's married to a Linda Pellechia or a Gwen Hahn, women who love boating, can run the boat, fish and don't whine when the waves reach 2 feet. He'll hate himself for not getting the boat he wants.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

it seems like you guys missed a real great one.the 32'blackfin has the same contruction as the 31bert but the bow has a nice flare better head seas boat then the 31.a little more elbow room on the bridge.the one i just work on had 3208 at 375hp.we removed them along with 2000lbs and installed 3126cats at 385hp. a solid 32knot boat and for bruce you can walk around the engines! on a blackfin you can lift the cockpit deck without disturbing the engine boxes.complete access to everything mechanical.every nook and cranny looks identical to 31 bert just a little bigger.the cockpit is the cats ass for fishing.
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

I have been fishing on a friends 32' Albemarle express powered with 350hp 3126 cats and the boat runs great in any type of sea. Rides a lot heavier than the 31 and is not comparable as far as space is concerned, it is a much bigger boat. I have also fished on a 35' egg harbor and the albemarle will run circles around that boat as well. In a short wind chop the boat rolls a lot but only in a short chop, when it gets nasty out it tends to drift better in a bigger sea. I think the Albemarle is probably one of the better riding boats in its class. Cruises 24 knots, burns about 160 gallons on an overnight canyon run.

Chris
RussP

Post by RussP »

The 32 Albemarle is a nice boat. Ran one back from Treasure Cay last year and was impressed with the ride, 3116 Cats and it cruised around 24k topped at 28. Decent amount of room below decks for a express boat.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Carl

Post by Carl »

Both his wife and mine are pretty cool with what we want. Her objection to the express is more in the terms of the Express Layout then curtains. They have an Express style now.

My wife is the one who picked the 31, then again I gave her the choice of keeping what we had or moving up into a 31, she went with the 31...I was so proud!

The Blackfin is most definately a choice I tossed out into the mix along with Bertram, as was the Tiara express and Bertram and Hatteras and Bertram, did I mention Bertram?. They want to use the boat for weekend trips/stayovers as well as some fishing and entertaining, did I mention they have a big Dog that will have to come along, and no they will not leave him in the cockpit overnight.

The Albermarle is still being looked at, but again not he Express but FBC so it will have the additional weight up top to add to the roll, He hates the roll on my 31 Express, can't see him loving it on the Albermarle. Engines are also pretty tight from the quick look we made, had to go back during the day.
Your friends here are supposed to let you know what will float or sink in the toilet bowl
Yes that is what I am trying to do, I am supposed to be the objective Put your tongue back in your mouth and walk away guy. The guy who points to the down sides, whether it be quality issues, mechanical or whatever.

As always thank you for the help and input.

Carl
Dug

Post by Dug »

Sim,

i have a friend who owns a 32' flybridge. Runs great when it is running. He has 6BTA cummins, and there are electrical problems, though that is not the engines fault.

Underway, it is solid, dry and a nice ride.

Sitting the boat is scary. Like coolers flying all around in the cockpit, and the engine air intakes missing going under when she rolls by inches. And that is not in rough seas. Suffice to say not a sharking boat...

If any of you fished the Monster Shark Tournament last year on the Vineyard, he was there. It was his boat that the billfish sculpture was thrown off a shelf and hit a guy in the face. The boat is just not stable.

I have another friend who is selling her 35' Viking combi. It is a '95 and is a great boat. Not the fastest, and reasonably flat bottomed, but in very good condition with a brand new genset, and the works. The boat stores something like 50 plus rods. It was loved by her husband who was a very good friend of mine who died a year and a half ago of cancer. It has the 3208's and is solid as a stone.

Dug
John F.

Post by John F. »

There just aren't many small convertibles out there. I think you have to go to the 35' range to get something you can have a FB and nice cabin w/o it being too tender like the 32 Albe or the Oceans. Outside of the Berts, I'd look at the 2nd gen. 36 Hatts (I love the 1st gen. 36 Hatts, but the cabin and fb are small), the 36 Tiara FB, and 36/38 Blackfin. Both could be had for not a real lot, and seem to be nice boats. I'm sticking with my 31--with the $$ I save we can always get a room.

John F.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

I have ran a 32 Albe con very nice boat. 3116 and it was jacked up and fast. The owner a big marlin fisherman. The boat had a narrow beam which made it fast in a head sea. Running the boat from the bride was like a fighter the boat leans in to the turns like a sports car. Nice boat and like eveyone else said theres not much choice in that range beside Bertram.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

wow was i in for a surprise today.i went to pick up my raymarine smart heading sensor to perfect the radar overlay.next store to the marine electronic place was a marina called allcraft marine center low and behold the huge indoor facility had two 31bertram in for total restoration.the owner sal johnson does complete restorations.out back in the marina was a 31cabo and i said said great boat etc. well the owner was there "DON`T ALLWAYS BELIVE WHAT YOU READ" the 31 bertram is a much better sea worthy boat.can you imagine a cabo owner telling telling you a 31 bert is the best there is!!he continiue to elaborate on the 31 and the 35 cabo as being a very wet boat.incidently somebody is building a beautiful ice blue 31 bert no name never saw it before.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

bob,

the blue boat is kevin saer's , i have seen him post in a long time.

i am guessing it will be named NO PROBLEM after his dad's 31.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Cabo 31............. yup when good companies do bad things
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you craig i did not to be noisy and go aboard without asking him.
jp there was a time only 3 years ago i considered selling my 31 and buying a 2000 --35cabo,my wife loved the boat and i tryed to tell her it was a "mans thing" with the 31bert it fell on deaf ears but she not the one in the canyon over night with the the rapidly changing seas.i loved the look of the 35cabo as well as the 31 the owner said very fast (375hp cats)in the 31 both is is terrible in rough seas both of you are breaking my heart what do you hear about the 31',35'cabo?
In Memory of Vicroy

I took a ride on a 31 Cabo once, and it beat out Andre's old 27 Whaler as the worst riding boat I'd ever been on. Hey, he's now a convert, has a great B31 and kicks ass.

On another note, me, Andre' and Lyman the G-man went to a lunch today where Army General Russell Honore' spoke. He's the Army general they sent in to restore order in New Orleans after Katrina. He is a real tough guy, native of south LA, and instead of calling someone a s**thead in public, he gently calls them a "poo poo head". His message was that the islamic world generally does not accept the notion that all people are created equal. We need more like him. He commands the First Army. There is no doubt he is a commander.

UV
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

vicroy i had no idea that the cabo wasn`t the best thing since slice bread!
i never rode on one and we have none at the marina i assume it was due to the steep price.
In Memory of Vicroy

Bob - I crawled all over some Cabos at the FLL show for several years. My view is they are all hype. One of my biggest gripes is engine and mechanical access.....you can't get to anything. Changing filters would take Plastic Man to do it. Plus they look worse than a Hyena Boat, just sit wrong in the water. They have spent millions in advertising touting themselves as the best, and guess its stuck with some. But us Faithful, owning the Best Boat Ever Built, know boats big & small, and can call bulls**t on anybody in a heartbeat. I was shocked at the crummy ride in a little chop - it was teeth chattering in stuff AJ would slice thru with no motion at all.

Guess I need to get a mask to go to FLL this year.....The Cabos may have the guys looking for me.....on the other hand, I'll wear a Capt. Patrick mask and point to him..... Anyway, a shame they could not build a better boat for that kind of money.

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

I have heard that the 31 Bert with diesals will leave the CABO in the dust when the going gets a little sloppy. Plus on Saturday, I had a Cummins guy looking at my 31 for a repower. He told me he just did a 35 CABO and he was really shocked at all the corners they cut. He said the wiring was done well. Tony Meola
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The 31 Cabo is well built and carries a good name. Wiring in the Cabo product is beautiful craftmanship very good.
The 31 is bad because its got to be the hardest boat on the planet to get to stuff. 210 pounds of stuff in a 3 pound bag, its just to much in to little to be serviced properly.
The 35 is pretty and runs good for its size. The problem isn't as much ride quality as the service of the engines. They sit under the aft bulkhead with trans in back and water pump in front, Don't know what to do if they ever have to come out. The 35 also has the genset in the cockpit (its a spot for fish and bilge pumps no 110vac units).
But its a nice 35 foot boat good layout and overall a fishy machine. Don't know if I could justify the 400K for one though.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks for all your input.

The Viking's in his range wound up being a disaster. One good thing there was plenty of room to work on motors, which is good cause ALOT of work needed to be done to them, starting with pulling them out...

Albermarle we never proceeded to continue looking as he hates the roll and everyone we spoke to said "they roll".

Ocean he decided against, thank you Capt Pat for setting me straight on them.

He went with a 32' Luhrs FBC with gas for power. He gets a new toy without breaking the bank. I think we realized he had hopes to go offshore but no real ambition to do so, most trips would be in Raritan Bay with an occsional inshore trips to the Mud Hole and maybe out to Fire Island. He will just have to pick his days and if it looks "iffy" we take my 31.

Thanks Again,
Carl
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

My best friend had one of them and he loved it. He sold it and now I have to listen to him cry about missing it all the time. It was a well built boat, but had some peculiarities. It needed to run faster than the gas would allow to get the best ride though.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sin if your looking for a 32 luhrs we have 4 one is yammar powered.ihave to check on the rest.the 32 luhrs tournament is in the water if you want to take a spin.it is pretty well loaded.

bob
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

He will just have to pick his days and if it looks "iffy" we take my 31
I think you'll find if that is a 92 or newer boat that there will be no need to jump into the 31 in iffy seas.

As a matter of fact it will keep you much dryer than the 31.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce i do the same thing when i refer to luhrs i am speaking of 2001 to 2007 and on this board people might have had or know a person with problems with older luhrs.the company is employee owned and they pretty much clean up there act.the 36 is a beautiful boat and yes if you want to nit pick on a crack in the gel of the door frame or a loose draw but the drive line on all the diesel luhrs as well as the engine installation is just as good as the 36 bertram at just a little over haft the price.of course the cabinetry is not as elite but the boat does 30knot cruise with big block yanmars or qsb cummins.even the 28' is a dry boat.that was a hot package and we sold 9 at a little over 180,000 with twin 240hp yanmars.as far as vic roy and jp`s post i am really taken back on the 35 cabo.my wife wants me to give the 31bertram to my son and buy the cabo.i took it for a ride in montauk but never left the harbor.thank you vic roy for setting me straight like tony said go in the bert and get a room for the night.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think he is just going with gasser's...this is after really sitting down and figuring how much "actual use" he intends to get with Boat.

However I will pass along the info.

Thanks