The best engine

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

WillieB

The best engine

Post by WillieB »

Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a Bertram 28, most of the models I have looked at have petrol engines.
Can someone tell me what the best make of petrol engine works well for the 28.
Also what size engine is the most efficient?
E.G size versus weight, fuel economy etc.

Also if someone knows the answer for Diesel engines as well.

Regards
Yannis

Re: The best engine

Post by Yannis »

I have 240 Yanmars.
I couldn’t think of a better engine, albeit with 2-3 areas that need some attention, like the turbos that hate humidity, radiator juice and engine anodes that I always make sure they are original Yanmar, some superficial rust on the engines, and a few similar particularities that, I’m sure, every engine make has.
These are the biggest motors you can fit in a 28, without having to modify the engine room, if you ask me you shouldn't need anything bigger anyway.
I run at 3000rpm’s (with wot at 3300), doing 24nm/h and burning 2.6 liters per n.mile.
I would never buy a gas boat. Actually, I would never go into one. Especially as a liveaboard with live flame gas stoves, water heater etc, a gasoline boat is too much of a risk to me.
Anyway in Europe gas is for outboards, less than 10% of boats our size are gas boats. With € 1,5 per liter for diesel, and € 1,8 for gas you quickly get most of your money back, but again, money is not the only issue, safety is more important to me. If you were to think which is the most profitable way to invest your money, a boat would certainly NOT be the wisest of decisions to start with.
And then, when you will want to sell, there is simply NO market for gas boats this size.
There are 100’s of Bertrams in Greece, I only know of two with gas engines. They all came from the US as second, third hand (who knows) and they all have been converted to diesel.
Good luck.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
WillieB

Post by WillieB »

Great thanks for the info.

It's hard to find Diesel engine Bertram's in Europe/U.K. right now!
Dug

Post by Dug »

What is the cost to transport a boat over the ocean? Might be a reasonable alternative, especially given the low prices that Bertram 28’s are fetching over here in particular. I have seen many good boats in the 10-12,000 range, which to me is amazing...
Carl

Post by Carl »

As you said Petrol I have to think your on the other side of the pond.

That said, is Steyr a popular motor around you? I think they are great motors but parts and service lack here. If they had support I think they would be a top contender even at the higher prices they demand. They are a small, lightweight motor that runs cleans and smooth with great economy. Bringing parts in from Austria is expensive and takes time.

Aside from mentioning that I have to say the best engine is also one that you can call for service and have parts readily available.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Dug, Carl,

I remember when I started inquiring about a boat from the US, the transport cost estimate I had obtained after talking directly to many shipping companies was in the $ or € 20 k range. Then I talked to some dealer who was doing this regularly and he could do it for less, maby $13-15k. However it’s not that simple as you have to include the cost of the cradle or even have to make a new cradle if there isnt one available at the american side.
Also there is the cost for the CE certificate, the change from 110 to 220 volts etc, it was a terrible undertaking...I ended up buying my 28 locally and avoided the misery. Of course Pireaus is farther away than the UK so the cost is not necessarily the same, but its always better to see what is available here first, before you consider an importation.
As for the engines, anyway for $10-20k that the 28’s sell for in the US, they are either shot or close to the end of their useful lives.
Which almost inevitably will lead to a conversion of some sort. So a boat this size quickly jumps into the $80-100k range...

Steyr is a well known make for trucks all over europe, I have no idea though if there are any marinized versions and in which country there is a reliable service for applications on boats. To be honest I havent heard of any boat around here having these engines, but in other countries it could well be a viable alternative.

And, yes, if you cannot find parts, or it takes ages for them to arrive, or parts are exorbitantly expensive, or there is no reliable mechanic around, then its better to look for something else.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i can get you a 28 Bertram 1982 for $2000.00 American dollars located in northern Florida and a pair of Steyr is a thousand percent better than Yanmars
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

WillieB,

Go to yacht4web.com, it’s an Italian site, they are currently selling a lot of Bertrams, of which 3-4 are 28’s, in the 20k range, all with mercruisers.
It shouldn’t be all that difficult to have it shipped over to the UK, at least the VAT has been paid, the certificates issued, the 220v installed...take a look.