Electrical grounds on the flying birdge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Electrical grounds on the flying birdge

Post by pschauss »

How are the instruments and accessories on the flying bridge supposed to be grounded? A quick test with a test lamp shows that the aluminum(?) panel itself makes a complete circuit. Is there another place where the negative side terminal of the instruments, radio, fishfinder ... should be connected?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Re: Electrical grounds on the flying birdge

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

You should set up a c common ground block and run it off of that block. Depending on how the 12 volt panel is currently set up, you will find that a my 12 volt electrical has the grounds running off of it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

After spending two days poking around I found that there is a white wire coming in from the harness, presumably from the panel. That wire is connected to the back of each of the gauges under one of the nuts which hold the bracket.

I have added a buss and tied it to that wire so that I will have ground connections for any additional equipment on the bridge.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Thanks for all of the advice. I have everything on the flying bridge working now including the starter buttons (which were the original reason I started this project) and the volt meters which I added to replace the ammeters.

My next step will be to run a direct feed from the main panel to a bus where I can connect the VHF and fish finder.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I ran a feed off of my panel to a blue Seas fuse block. That allowed me to fuse each of my electronics individually eliminating any inline fuse.

I mounted extra blocks two ways, first for some reason the boat had two mahogany blocks glassed to the forward section of the flybridge. If you have them you will see them when you drop the overhead.

The other way is to mount a block of wood using epoxy some place on the upper bridge area over the cabin area.

Otherwise it would go some place under the dash area and that is a pain to get at.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

My boat has a panel which encloses the area under the dashboard on the flying bridge. Whoever built it cut openings a about a foot wide near the port and starboard sides with hinged doors. Post side is for storage and the starboard side for the VHF. I bought a bus bar with spaces for eight positive and eight negative connections and installed it on the starboard side where I can reach it by opening the door.

A subpanel would probably fit in that spot as well if I decide to go that route.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you could make a really nice perfect layout out if you make two drop down trap doors in the cabin. one door over salon bench seat and the other would be even distance from starboard side near the galley. drop door and all bridge electrical along with auto-pilot are laid out on the back wall of bridge inside wall. i glued Azak brand PVC board to the backside for easy screw installation of electronic devices and power points for grounds, Bridge battery power. VERY IMPORTANT do not bond the bridge negative to your bonding system (the copper strip and associated bonds to rudders, shaft log, thru hulls).
capt.bob lico
bero13010473