Lifter tapping/Valve tapping

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

makomike1

Lifter tapping/Valve tapping

Post by makomike1 »

I was leaving this past holiday weekend on my 28 Bert when an hour in the trip I heard tapping coming from my starboard engine, comes and goes. Not sure what it was, gauges looked good. I slowed down to check, its sounds like 1 of my valves or lifter is tapping. Is there a easy fix for this?? I have read some have used a product called seafoam to clean lifters/valves. Does this product work, would it hurt to try ? any suggestions And will I hurt motor if I continue to run it ? The motor is a 1989 350 270hp crusader with carburetor. Thanks Mike
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Lifter tapping/Valve tapping

Post by Bruce »

If its a collapsing lifter, could throw a push rod and just lose a cylinder. If it's crud built up on a valve stem, valve could stick open and hit piston. A spring issue could lose a keeper and drop a valve into a piston.
You can try an additive in the fuel and oil.
makomike1

Post by makomike1 »

Bruce thanks for the reply. So to be safe I should get new lifters/rods ? Thanks Mike
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce is correct. You never know if it is just dirt or something else.

When I had the big blocks I had a noisy lifter. I used the old method of putting a quart of transmission fluid in the engine then let it get hot and changed the oil. It stopped the noise. So in my case the sticky lifter was probably dirt. But if it did not clear up I would have been changing lifters.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Marvel Mystery Oil worked great for me--pour it down the carb at idle, let the smoke come out the exhaust, shut it down and leave it overnight--dissolves the carbon on the valves.