Fuel Pickup Plate Questions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hyena Love

Fuel Pickup Plate Questions

Post by Hyena Love »

I am getting some minor leaks or weeping around my fuel pickup plate when I have a full tank. Reviewed the pictures Pat posted month or so back. Couple questions.

First, is the plate attached to the top of the tank with simple bolts/nuts or is the under plate (inside the tank) threaded? What I am trying to figure out is how tough it is going to be to remove. Do I need to have a hand inside the tank to hold and catch the nuts, or is it merely bolts that thread into the plate in the tank?

Second, in replacing the gasket, what should I use for gasket material? Liquid permatex type stuff, or should I use a sheet of gasket material and cut out a gasket? If the later, what is the best type of material to use?

Many thanks in advance.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ernest,

There's a 1/4" bronze mating ring fiberglassed into the underside of the tank top. Tapped 1/4"x20...

From Napa, or other auo supply, get a sheet of cork gasket material for the new gasket. Use Permantex #2 on both sides. A hand held paper punch makes a good tool for punching out the holes. A piece of 1/4" steel tubing, a hammer, & a block of wood works too.

Br,

Patrick
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Thanks.

As part of our seemingly never ending shake down cruises on Sunday, I ended up filling the tank to the brim. Boat ran great.

Nothing like passing up a Blackfin 29/30 FBC (the Bert 31 knockoff) with 6BTA 210's on the way out the jetties (I was only doing 22 knots) or coming back in with the tide and wind at our back rolling at 26 knots (but except for full fuel, we were light, just me and the Warden and a picnic type cooler.)

Cleaned the boat up, backed into the slip, no sooner did the Warden says its bluewater time, and the bilge came on. Her next words were "Hey, whats that sheen?" Looked like about a quart or so of diesel in the bilge. Urgggggg.

Fun never stops. But, except for this issue, the "non-working" list is down to engine alarm panels, toilet (new pump needed plus wiring), fresh water system (new pump needed), stereo (needs install and wiring), and plumbing the saltwater washdown/livewell. Of course, then there is the "cosmetic" list.

Thanks again.
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

Captain Pat

I ordered a sheet of nitrile rubber of some sort for the gasket. Is this better or worse than the cork? The reason i went with this is the sending unit i purchased came with the same stuff. Thanks
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Scooter,

You're fine, I just prefer the cork...

Br,

Patrick
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Capt. Patrick,

I used the cork gasket material on mine, but did not use any permatex, the old gaskets did not show any kind of sealent used on them so I went back with none.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Doug,

You're right about the cork probably not needing Permatex, but you know me... I like sticky stuff and overkill techniques.

Br,

Patrick