Half Tower for B28

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Po-Boy

Half Tower for B28

Post by Po-Boy »

I know this has been brought up a few times before but I am mentioning it again in hopes someone knows where I can find one or maybe even give some advise.

That said, does anyone know where I could possibly find a new or used half tower for a decent price? I have looked for over a year and have never even found one on the internet for sale but I know others on here have mentioned finding them before. Am I just looking in the wrong places or what? Anybody have any experience or heard of using a top off of a similar boat and having it retrofitted to a B28? For example, a B31 top and have cut and width added to fit B28??? or one off a blackfin 29 possibly???? Actually, all I need is the frame as I am experienced enough with laying glass to building the hard top. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated on this as I just cant see paying $6-$8k for a custom made top. Thanks.
Yannis

Re: Half Tower for B28

Post by Yannis »

Po boy,

The reason, or at least one of the reasons that you cannot find one, is that there are most probably just a few made!

The 28 is smaller than the 31 (ain't I smart!) and has a slightly deeper vee, as a result it rolls like hell, as a matter of fact I wonder if its a good idea, to start with, to add a tower to the 28.
My experience on the fb in a choppy wave at rest, is of a rather semi frightened sailor, I also was thrown flat to the cabin sole once when sleeping on my converted to a bed settee, when hit by a ship’s wake in the middle of the night...
My 2 eurocents, and good luck.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

One will pop up when you least expect it.

I can tell you how I came across my tower.

First I had a design with all measurements which I sent out for pricing...at 24K to start it was out of my league.
I was working on designing bending rollers to build my own, tower needs bends to flow...

Driving past a marina one day I saw a tower up against the fence. It looked almost exactly like the drawing I had made, sizes all matched up very well...except 3' too narrow. Came off a 25' Mako, had console, helm, outrigger bases built in...it was for sale when I asked. They suggested 5k, I suggest 500 as it was for a 31 and I'd be hacking it up to get to fit, they came back at 2500, I left my card with a $700 offer. Next day they called accepting the 700 provided I got it out of their yard by weeks end...hopped in my pickup and I had myself a tower.

Cut it down the middle, added 3' to middle crossbars, sistered the supports, added floor supports, decking, modified the feet and walla, fit like a glove.

So in short, know what you want, know what you need, know the measurements and know what you can modify to make it fit opens that market to lots of other towers or in your case hardtops. Since that time I have come across a few more that would have worked and many just want it gone.

Places to look...marinas. Ask in office if they have derelict boats on property...see if any have a tower. Some fairly new boats can be slated for being cut up...they don't mind selling parts off them for a few bucks. A 1995 32 Luhrs that having 1 seized motor and was picked through by yard vandals was sold to a guy that just wanted to buy a light fixture. He had same boat and could not get the part, so went into office asking if he could buy fixture from boat. He left paying 500 bucks for entire boat...spare engine, two shafts, 2 dripless packings, struts, generator, electronic box and boat had a hardtop. He stripped boat, kept what he wanted sold lots of stuff . Then paid 1k to have boat cut up and hauled away.

Good luck
Po-Boy

Post by Po-Boy »

Yannis wrote:Po boy,

The reason, or at least one of the reasons that you cannot find one, is that there are most probably just a few made!

The 28 is smaller than the 31 (ain't I smart!) and has a slightly deeper vee, as a result it rolls like hell, as a matter of fact I wonder if its a good idea, to start with, to add a tower to the 28.
My experience on the fb in a choppy wave at rest, is of a rather semi frightened sailor, I also was thrown flat to the cabin sole once when sleeping on my converted to a bed settee, when hit by a ship’s wake in the middle of the night...
My 2 eurocents, and good luck.
Yes, I am fully aware that the 28 is smaller... From working on a 31 for years and now owning a 28 I am also very aware of the the pros, cons, differences of the two but I wasn't trying to open up a discussion on B28 vs B31 or B28 vs any other boat...

Not sure about only a few ever made either. This is definitely not something I am pioneering here. Just type "Bertram 28 Half Tower" in goggle images and you will see that there are dozens of B28s with Half towers. Yes, i agree weight is an issue up top just as it is on any similar size/style boat but my point is that a half tower on a B28 is not an impossible or impractical "idea" as you suggest. Not only has it been done but it has been done successfully many many times.
Po-Boy

Post by Po-Boy »

Carl wrote:One will pop up when you least expect it.

I can tell you how I came across my tower.

First I had a design with all measurements which I sent out for pricing...at 24K to start it was out of my league.
I was working on designing bending rollers to build my own, tower needs bends to flow...

Driving past a marina one day I saw a tower up against the fence. It looked almost exactly like the drawing I had made, sizes all matched up very well...except 3' too narrow. Came off a 25' Mako, had console, helm, outrigger bases built in...it was for sale when I asked. They suggested 5k, I suggest 500 as it was for a 31 and I'd be hacking it up to get to fit, they came back at 2500, I left my card with a $700 offer. Next day they called accepting the 700 provided I got it out of their yard by weeks end...hopped in my pickup and I had myself a tower.

Cut it down the middle, added 3' to middle crossbars, sistered the supports, added floor supports, decking, modified the feet and walla, fit like a glove.

So in short, know what you want, know what you need, know the measurements and know what you can modify to make it fit opens that market to lots of other towers or in your case hardtops. Since that time I have come across a few more that would have worked and many just want it gone.

Places to look...marinas. Ask in office if they have derelict boats on property...see if any have a tower. Some fairly new boats can be slated for being cut up...they don't mind selling parts off them for a few bucks. A 1995 32 Luhrs that having 1 seized motor and was picked through by yard vandals was sold to a guy that just wanted to buy a light fixture. He had same boat and could not get the part, so went into office asking if he could buy fixture from boat. He left paying 500 bucks for entire boat...spare engine, two shafts, 2 dripless packings, struts, generator, electronic box and boat had a hardtop. He stripped boat, kept what he wanted sold lots of stuff . Then paid 1k to have boat cut up and hauled away.

Good luck
Yes, I am hoping to find something exactly like you did. Been hunting high and low and havnt had much luck.

Haha that is a heck of a deal for a light fixture!

I will keep looking and ask around the marinas as you suggested. Thanks for the advise!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Po boy,

I didnt compare any boats, nor did I say that a 28 tower cannot be successfully made.

I said that you probably have difficulty finding one because they are probably much less constructed than for the 31, most probably because once youre up there (in a 28 tower) its like in a washing machine.

Now, I would be glad for you to find one (or make one) for the price you can afford, mount it, and revert with your conclusions.
How practical or impractical it may turn out to be is gonna be your decision; I just stated my experiences.
It would also be a good idea to perhaps try contacting any owner of those you mentioned, to see THEIR experience first hand, before you take on the project. Or wait so that someone on this forum with a tower jumps in to share his thoughts.
Good luck.

PS: we may have different definitions of the term “half tower”. If you mean that a hard top, instead of a canvas bimini top is a half tower, its fine.
I meant another, higher level onto which one can stand/drive/fish, above the flybridge sole level. That is the one I consider a washing machine...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis- - might be some confusion on Tower.

A Half Tower is a Hardtop...nobody goes up there, aside from installing electronics or cleaning it.

A Marlin Tower is a short tower built with the "hardtop" being the floor of tower, it's what I have.

The Tuna Tower is the nose bleed style tower. The proportions seem to put the tower around twice the height of a marlin tower, if you were to stand on the hardtop the floor of Tuna Tower would be just over your head. No hard and fast rule some a little lower some go way way up.

PS- Yannis I am thinking you PS'ed while I typed...

Marlin and definitely Tuna will toss you around on a Bertram 28 and 31 drifting in slop, trolling the trough...but not bad running.
Po-Boy

Post by Po-Boy »

[quote="Carl"]Yannis- - might be some confusion on Tower.

A Half Tower is a Hardtop...nobody goes up there, aside from installing electronics or cleaning it.

A Marlin Tower is a short tower built with the "hardtop" being the floor of tower, it's what I have.

The Tuna Tower is the nose bleed style tower. The proportions seem to put the tower around twice the height of a marlin tower, if you were to stand on the hardtop the floor of Tuna Tower would be just over your head. No hard and fast rule some a little lower some go way way up.

PS- Yannis I am thinking you PS'ed while I typed...

Marlin and definitely Tuna will toss you around on a Bertram 28 and 31 drifting in slop, trolling the trough...but not was some confusion between what a half tower

Ah I think your right, apparently there was some confusion on what a half tower actually is.

Yea I would have to agree, it would be a little crazy to have a marlin or tuna tower on a 28 although I have seen them. I definately wouldnt want to be in a tuna tower on a 28 either. Seems like suicide if there is any kind of sea. But to be clear, I am looking for a "half tower"(hard top instead of a bimini) with radar and other electronics mounted on top.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl, Po boy,

That explains it all, thanks for the definitions...
In my mind (that of one who’s never fished or doesn't like to eat fish) a tower, either half, full, marlin, tuna, or whatever else seemed like a...tower, not just a hardtop!!
By the way, just because I saw one being made for a 28 with all the dimensions taken from my own boat (as the boat it was destined to was far away), the guy took the curvature of the fb sole and repeated it. He used Dow panels (the ones used in construction insulation- a green colored panel) that he then glassed over with multiple layers. So light, durable and relatively cheap. What seems to be more expensive is the stainless or aluminum frame.
Thanks.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.atlantictowers.com/products_tiab.php

https://www.fishonsports.com/fiar.html

Would something like the tops above work. I believe Joe F purchased a tower in a box from Atlantic. I believe he managed to find a blemish which would save you a few extra dollars. Maybe with a little work you can make something work.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

I think Atlantic is having a blemish sale now.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
keldridge

Post by keldridge »

I have a 28 for sale currently on Paradigm Yacht Sales website. It has a tower on it that has served us well and we feel looks pretty good as well. The boat came with it so I could not tell you where it was made but it may give you some ideas.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Where are you located? I have a "hard top" taken off of a center console that I was going to modify for my 31. Didn't work out. It's just the fiberglass top. I'm in central NC, and it's free to you if interested. PM/email for questions/pics etc.

Rick
Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

Well I have a 25' with a folding Tuna Tower (see avatar). I have never run the boat and have not yet figured out what do about the tower as it is very tall. I am afraid until I get the boat running I will be too old to climb up in it.
1963 B-25 Project (in process)
Atl. GA
jbottoms

Post by jbottoms »

https://ibb.co/cHRW96

Selling the complete tower off my 28 if you’re still interested. Will need a new canvas. Has the electronics box with it.
$2300

Shoot me a PM