Repower Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mizerita

Repower Question

Post by Mizerita »

As I start the discussion of repowering Hei Hei, one question comes to mind...do you typically pick the engine first, and then the person to do the repower because they have experience with that particular engine? Or is it more important that you find someone with B-31 repower experience first...then work with that person on an engine choice? I'd be looking for someone in the Keys or South Florida if there are any recommendations. Not sure about engine just yet...possibly another post when I get prices.
Tony Meola

Re: Repower Question

Post by Tony Meola »

Actually both.

You want someone who has knowledge about re-powering in general as well as the engine.

If you are keeping her gas then the job is a little easier since there is less work to do. If you are not doing your own glass work then you need hard that has a good glass guy.

Knowing the faults of the 31 are a plus so you can correct them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

That is a great question.

In my humble opinion, the most important part of deciding on repower options, is who will your mechanics be. You need to be able to trust them.

I love Cummins. They make a great engine. It is a popular and successful repower option as a brand of engine worth considering for a repower in a B31. But... In my area, mystic, there are no really good service options. I don’t care who made the engine it will break at some point. It will need to be fixed. If you cannot get service, don’t bother even considering.

Secondly, up here in NE, our season is short. We need to be able to get service fairly quickly as a few weeks of downtime can add up to lost time on the water. Less important perhaps in FL, but still. No one wants to own an expensive toy like a boat and hav it sit on land or at the dock unusable due to the fact that no one will touch it.

I think picking a good mechanic is the most important part of the decision. There are many good engine options, Yanmar, Cummins and a few others out there, and more options in the gas world but the mechanic is the difference maker regardless. And yes, repower experience is very important too. IMHO.

Dug
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Mizerita...I'm in Pompano Beach...I have an excellent set of refurbished Caterpillar 3116 Marine Diesels with all exhausts, etc. ready to be dropped in...I'm not going ahead with my project so I am selling...If interested contact me at 954 290 6783...John
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

Thanks guys. Yes, I'll be converting to diesel and know the primary "issues" and how big of a project it is. I've researched just about every post about repower and have a few options already, which I'll probably post separate about.

There are separate Cummins, Yanmar, and CAT service guys in Key West...as well as R&R diesel who works on just about everything and are very trusted on our island...plus we're close enough to Miami just in case. After talking with 4 or 5 people at my marina, I'm comfortable with the service aspect on just about any of the engines I'm looking at.

I just want to make sure we do the installation right and wasn't sure if it's more important to focus on 31 Bertram experience or pick the engine, and then focus on someone who specializes in the repower for that particular engine. Or both if that's possible. In any case, if anyone knows a yard or installer in South Florida (or even the Keys), let me know.
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

John Nardi wrote:Mizerita...I'm in Pompano Beach...I have an excellent set of refurbished Caterpillar 3116 Marine Diesels with all exhausts, etc. ready to be dropped in...I'm not going ahead with my project so I am selling...If interested contact me at 954 290 6783...John
John, thanks for the offer, and will certainly keep in mind as I continue my search.
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Steve-

I sent a note on Instagram- not sure if that'll come through. We went through a repower proposal process last year and I'd be happy to share what received which may be a nice reference for you.

I had similar concerns and something that became apparent is that there are several folks who really know the B31 who are happy to chime in, both on this site and elsewhere. Once you find a power package that works and a good mechanic I'm confident you'll be able to knock out any details with a few conversations with folks who have done the job before.
Max
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I've done 14 31's with just about every engine option in the day. From just engine changes to strip to bare hull and total rework and refit.
Nothing special on the 31 I didn't have to address on all the repowers I did.

Post your questions and concerns.

One thing, don't over think or over research. You will drive yourself nuts.
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

moguls2go wrote:Steve-

I sent a note on Instagram- not sure if that'll come through. We went through a repower proposal process last year and I'd be happy to share what received which may be a nice reference for you.

I had similar concerns and something that became apparent is that there are several folks who really know the B31 who are happy to chime in, both on this site and elsewhere. Once you find a power package that works and a good mechanic I'm confident you'll be able to knock out any details with a few conversations with folks who have done the job before.
Yes, got your insta DM. Talk soon,

Steve
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

Bruce wrote:I've done 14 31's with just about every engine option in the day. From just engine changes to strip to bare hull and total rework and refit.
Nothing special on the 31 I didn't have to address on all the repowers I did.

Post your questions and concerns.

One thing, don't over think or over research. You will drive yourself nuts.
Thanks Bruce - let me know if you want to do #15 haha. Getting close on engines and one package in particular will create a lot of chatter.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mizerita wrote:Thanks Bruce - let me know if you want to do #15 haha. Getting close on engines and one package in particular will create a lot of chatter.
I smell outboards coming.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315