Outriggers - Best Way to Go?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill B

Outriggers - Best Way to Go?

Post by Bill B »

Well, it is time I get serious about this fishing thing. Toyed around last year dragging around umbrellas and propellers looking for tuna. Now, I am ready to put on a pair of outriggers.

I would appreciate the Faithful's input on what outriggers I should purchase. '62 B31, Yanmars, no tower. I want to keep the gunwale clear so I can still move fore and aft, so I need to find outriggers that can be mounted on the brow. In looking at the Images page, it appears that Chimera, Digger, Jaded Lady and Fighting Lady all have riggers mounted on the brow. What I can't tell is if/how the riggers are supported by the tower superstructure.

Thanks all!

Bill B
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Proff has a slick setup. they are mounted on the brow outboard, and kinda lift and piviot. Don't knwo who made them but its really a clean set up

go to one of his post and click on preditor
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Thanks Timmy. I just emailed him.

Bill B.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

you going to be in this season? Not looking good for the tubb, for various reason, including that lazy ass JP not coming up to do my deck
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Dont blame JP because your boats not ready. Even if he came and stayed it would still be on the dry come Aug3-4. Lots of love Brewster
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

get back to smoking the fish...........
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Timmy,
huh?????????
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Bill.
Here's the best shot I could find of the riggers and standoff arrangement.
These are 28ft Rupp singles. You can pull the same look off with Lee's. The only simpler way is to go with a top gun style rigger off the top of the half tower. Its your choice, hope this helps.
Good Luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

JP,

Those look great! The only issue is that I do not have a tower, so minimal attachment points. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Without the top your a little screwed for brow mounting of conventional riggers.
Hueso did about the only thing you can do, check out his post.

Good Luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bill,

Without a half tower structure, about the only riggers that you can brow mount are the Lee Juniors, but I think Lee no longer makes them so you'd have to find a set that can be refurbished. You'd also have to do some serious reinforcing inside the bridge side walls.

Br,

Patrick
randall

Post by randall »

mikes mount on the eye brow...have no reinforcement other than a backing plate and have no other mechanicals....just the swivel at the base.....and an internal line....very very clean and easy to mount and use.....we did have to make shims.....the original down position was an eye poke on the dock
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Looks like Mike's are maybe Rupp Top Guns??

The Lee Junior mounts go on the side of the bridge face, with 3 main contact points, 2 for the wish bone, one for the base.

These two images are of "Buddy Boy" back in the beginning... The original owner only had some small 1/2" plywood backing blocks at the 3 points. It made the bridge face a real flexible mounting situation. On the chance that Jim would want to remount the Juniors, I replaced the small blocks with a fairly large single sheet of ply, epoxied in, that stiffened the whole bridge side.

Br,

Patrick

Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Thanks Patrick and Randall. I think I will look into the Top Guns. Lee Juniors - while a nice package - may be an inferior approach without a half tower.

Bill B.
randall

Post by randall »

patrick....those aren't them....im sure mike will chime in eventually....pompanet (sp?) maybe?.....i have the lee jrs on the bridge....old technology to say the least
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

This is them....

http://www.pompanette.com/Pompweb.nsf/7 ... enDocument

They look better than they work, but they do work.....

Bill, sorry about not answering your email. Something is wrong with my AOL software.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Thanks for the info Mike. Do you think the Rupp Top Guns would work any better? I know they don't have internally rigged lines, but I am kind of intrigued with mounting where you have them mounted, and the Rupps would allow the handle to be within (somewhat) easy reach.

http://www.ruppmarine.com/z30topguns.htm

Thanks!

Bill B.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I don't see why they wouldn't work. The biggest problem you'll face when trying to mount anything where I did my installation is that the eyebrow is hollow. You can't really clamp down too hard there, so you'll need a large backing plate to keep things from moving around. Naturally you have to through-bolt. That means having every possible length of machine screw on hand so you can get things to work properly with cap nuts on the underside. Otherwise you'll be left with sharp things where a beer drinkers head might be bobbing around.

Of course, a little more blood in the slick can sometimes be a good thing.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315