GENERATORAND PLACEMENT

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

THESALTYSATO

GENERATORAND PLACEMENT

Post by THESALTYSATO »

I currently have a 1970 31Bert FBC. The generator is a Mase 3501 installed in 2002. It is time to repair or replace as the oil has metal in it. I sent the oil filter with the metal to Mase and after speaking with Mase it is metal from the main bearing which he said parts ere available for $3-400 and can be repaired by replacing the main bearing, My thought is who knows what other damage the mechanic might find. Since I have to remove the starboard engine to remove (gen is between the Yanmar6 LP and the outside hull) I am afraid to repair as the gen is 16 years old. Who knows how long it would last and when parts would become unavailable. My first thought was to repair but thinking long range I think I will purchase a new one. Any suggestions on a brand that will fit and also possibly a new placement so as not to have to pull the engine to replace in the future. As we all know there is not a lot of extra space in these old girls. Thanks for any suggestions,
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: GENERATORAND PLACEMENT

Post by mike ohlstein »

Are you sure that you have to pull the engine? You can remove the fiberglass spacer piece that sits between the engine cover and the pilaster, no?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Or, hell, cut it .
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

positively take out that Mase generator without pulling the engine!!!!!! were are you located?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

On my‘73 31, I have a 3.5 KW Phasor Generator on the port side on a horizontal platform outboard of my 270 HP Cummins, under the “L” Bracket, and batteries on a similar platform outboard of stbd.motor. Both generator and batteries can be removed easily without touching the Cummins. Naturally it is easier if you remove both motor box and outboard “L” bracket ,but t necessary. Generator weighs around 150#. Two batteries, slightly less.
EarleyBird
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Bob
I am in North Carolina
I was led to believe that the std. engine would have to be removed. From the comments so far that does not seem to be the case. Also my Mase is in a sound softening or reducing enclosure.
thanks
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The wing for the engine box can be removed.
The genset can be removed from the enclosure and pulled without pulling the engine.
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Bruce
Can you also remove the enclosure without removing the engine. I am assuming the new gen would come with a new enclosure. If so, do you know if a Mase with a new enclosure go back in with the std. engine in place? Sorry for the question but this is all new to me. Also would you recommend purchasing a new genset or repairing the old one. It only has 105 hours on it based on the LED indicator(Yanmars have 780). My concern with repairing has anymore damage been done to the genset. I had the genset serviced at Jarrett Bay last year when everything was out as I had to replace the stringers and nothing was said about the gen and metal in the oil. I question if they checked the filter. A year and 6 hours later when servicing the gen by another shop we saw the metal. I put 80 hours on the boat the first year but only 6 on the genset .My question is how long has the problem been going on (6 hours or more). When I purchased the boat the surveyor or the mechanic did not pick up on it and I did not have the oil tested( my mistake). My first rodeo. Missed you again at the NC Reunion.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce mention the method. first remove F/G wing, engine box, then you remove both end panels on gen. basically you remove all covers then disconnect mounts you disassemble that cheap generator steel frame. (i have the 4.0 Mase model) and the steel frame is deteriorating rapidly i will replace with an aluminum angle bracket eventually. i replaced raw water pump impeller or pump three times and redesign voltage regulator with much better capacitor.what i am saying is when you remove that mase generator and think along the lines of just replacing Yanmar motor be aware the whole generator requires quite a bit of maintenance and expect to break down.i have used Valvoline VR-1 racing oil in gen Yanmar engine with no bearing problems (high zinc content) same as my HP Corvette. so to sum it up you can get quite a deal on that engine because of it has many applications just transfer anything indigenous to a marine application. Fisher-panda makes a great generator if you want to replace.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dionbrown

Post by Dionbrown »

Get a new genset. Unless of course you're emotionally invested but I'd go with new engine and generator.
http://www.impcorporation.com/en-us/inv ... ita-engine

-DB
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Thanks again for everyone's input and suggestions. I am going to wait until the season is over before I do anything . Do not want to have any downtime-having to much pleasure just enjoying my boat.