TRANSMISSION COOLER

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

TRANSMISSION COOLER

Post by Craig Mac »

I am replacing my cooler and it is a bear to reach---( Gas Motors---mounted very low against the block)---has anyone relocated them? Looking for ideas. I did the oil coolers last year, same complaint. On my motors, the water flows from the sea strainer to the trans cooler to the oil cooler to the crank driven water pump.
aussierob

Re: TRANSMISSION COOLER

Post by aussierob »

I have a B28 (350 chev motors, 71c trans) so things might be different.
I'm currently repowering, and addressing some of those "annoying" items. I never had a need to touch the trans cooler, but found it was in the way of other items (made it almost impossible to service spark plugs on the starboard side due to the way it was mounted).

So i'm building a mounting bracket to have them sit on the side of the trans itself (since there is space).

Can then run shorter hydraulic hoses potentially, and not have them sitting under the manifold / against the starter as they tend to. I never really understood why they were located where they were either. I can't imagine there's any difference to the water pump since it's still a long line between the strainer and pump, regardless of where the cooler is placed.