fuel tank ground

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scooter28

fuel tank ground

Post by scooter28 »

Theres a copper bonding strap that hugs the bottom of my fuel tank and connects my fuel fill and fuel pickup. The question is i'm wondering if the only purpose of this strap is to connect the two. If so can i just run the strap on outside? I believe the new tanks that high tide is making have it run on the top. Thanks.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Scooter,

The purpose of that particular piece of wiring is to give a path for static electricity to find a true ground without arcing. You can route it however you want as long as the fill manifold and the fill hole on the gunnel is well grounded with the shortest run. If you're using stranded wire anywhere along the path, solder all connectors, and use at least 8 ga green jacketed marine grade wire.

A static electricity spark can be generated from the flow of the fuel through the plastic/rubber fuel hose from the pump. Always have the fill spout in direct contact with the metal fuel fill on the gunnel.

Not so dangerous for diesel, but a spark with gasoline can really give a deep tan...

Br,

Patrick