Paint Recommendations

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

aussierob

Paint Recommendations

Post by aussierob »

Hi Everyone,

I am currently rebuilding my velvet drives, and preparing to do some engine work (brand new long blocks, re-using and overhauling some of my accessories).

I have stripped one of the velvet drives almost back to bare metal (outer casings only, internally they're fine), and am almost ready for new base coats.
The old paint was ok in some spots, but very average in others.

I'm just looking for recommendations for a really good primer suitable for marine use, if any of you have had experience with them?
I'm in Australia, but the same brands tend to be available everywhere.
I figure as long as i get a solid base coat(s) then the rest won't matter too much apart from aesthetics (though i'll be painting them well anyway).

I do have proper spray capabilities, so i'm not relying on rattle cans necessarily either (but happy to use either since we're not really talking about a polished finish).
I will be doing quite a few coats to help with corrosion prevention and such. While i don't anticipate owning my boat forever, i want the work i do to last. So i'm very aware of this first primer coat being right.

Cheers,
Rob
Rawleigh

Re: Paint Recommendations

Post by Rawleigh »

Alodine was Capt. Pat's go-to prep for aluminum before any primer was applied. As to the next step I will let someone with more experience answer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=alodine ... e&ie=UTF-8
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
aussierob

Post by aussierob »

Rawleigh wrote:Alodine was Capt. Pat's go-to prep for aluminum before any primer was applied. As to the next step I will let someone with more experience answer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=alodine ... e&ie=UTF-8
Thanks Rawley. I think the velvet drive casings are cast iron (they're very heavy). Though the bell housing is aluminium i think.

Rob
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The go to primer and paint to resist rust is Por 15.

https://www.por15.com/

They make engine enamels and high heat paint.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I used their engine paint when I did my rebuild. Chrysler blue. It has held up well. I also used their Hardnose White to paint the engine compartment. It is now shown as gloss white in their single stage topcoats. You needed sunglasses to look at it after it dried! Extremely slick and shiny. Easy to clean! The ultimate engine compartment paint would be their two stage urethane. No chemical you put in there would hurt it!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
aussierob

Post by aussierob »

Thanks to both of you for your recommendations!

It seems it's a little hard to get in Aus, but i'll figure it out!
It's available, but not everywhere (and not everyone stocks the full range, just a few bits).

I've read about people top-coating the anodise-look paint i want to use on a few accessories with a por15 clear also to protect it!

I am indeed doing the engine bay while everything is out, so that's a great tip, thanks!

Rob
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

We just mail order it here.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
aussierob

Post by aussierob »

Rawleigh wrote:We just mail order it here.
Yeah - importing paint is difficult due to it being a chemical.

But i should be able to find someone to order from.

Rob
aussierob

Post by aussierob »

For anyone interested, i ended up ordering from https://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/
I found limited access to POR15, and read somewhere that the old owner of POR15 developed KBS products.
Regardless, found good reports, and more importantly, could find a way to buy the stuff in Aus.

I made an online enquiry about product matching etc, and got a call within a few mins, and the stuff was shipped same day i ordered.
Will post any relevant updates.

Rob
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Interesting products. Does not look like it is available in the US.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
aussierob

Post by aussierob »

Tony Meola wrote:Interesting products. Does not look like it is available in the US.
Tony,

https://www.kbs-coatings.com for anyone in the USA i think - this was the Aussie distributor that i ordered from.

Rob
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rob

Thank You. Never came across them before. Will have to take a look at some point.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
aussierob

Post by aussierob »

Tony Meola wrote:Rob

Thank You. Never came across them before. Will have to take a look at some point.
No worries Tony. I've read reviews comparing KBC with POR15, and seems to be fairly equivalent.

If i could access POR15 more easily here in Aus, i wouldn't have looked elsewhere. However like most, i'm just glad to have a suitable option at a good price.

Rob
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Taking a quick look, it seems they have a couple of products that POR does not make. So we now have another option.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
aussierob

Post by aussierob »

Tony Meola wrote:Taking a quick look, it seems they have a couple of products that POR does not make. So we now have another option.
Always good to have options!