outrigger help needed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

David Davidson

outrigger help needed

Post by David Davidson »

Hi,
I would like some help and guidance on what outrigger set up is best for me on my '31. I know next to nothing about these, so go easy on me!

My boat will be Mediterranean based and probably around 60% a family day boat, and 40% fishing for tuna (smaller around 50lb), bonito, mackerel etc. Nothing too adventurous to start!

I cannot find any suppliers over this side of the pond to speak to, or order from, so all advice of what type/setup and where from would be gratefully received. If possible, I would like the mount to be up at the flybridge deck level, rather than main deck, to avoid small feet from being injured.
If there is somewhere I can get everything together (ie. mount, poles, rigging kit etc) as a set it would help with ordering and shipping.

If anyone has a used outrigger set for sale, I would also be interested.
David Davidson
1971 B31 FBC Hull no 315-1106
Yannis

Re: outrigger help needed

Post by Yannis »

I know next to nothing about these, so go easy on me!

David, don't panic, I don't even know what an outrigger is. Seriously!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

David
Welcome to the sandbox , I have 2 names that you can call about getting a set of outriggers for your 31. If the boat has never had outriggers your going to start from the bases and work upward. You stated that the boat is going to be used for tuna about 40% of the time. I would go with a set of smaller wishbone bases that would attach to the sides of the fly bridge with a set of 21' single spreader aluminum poles.

#1 Rupp Marine Inc. 4761 Anchor Ave PO Drawer F Port Salerno Florida 34992 TEL (772) 286-5300 Fax (772) 286-4180 WWW. RUPPMARINE.COM Ron Karpanty is the guy you want to talk to. email RON@RUPPMARINR.COM

# 2 Is Tigree Outriggers and Gear 2516 SW 4Th Avenune Ft Lauderdale Florida 33315-2608 Office Tel (954) 462-0917 FAX (954) 524-0441 The contact person is Jonathan Maggio Sale Manager his cell is (954) 275-2536 I have know both of these guys for many years. Jonathan was with Lee's Outriggers for years before going to Tigress about 5 or 6 years ago.

Tigress might be a little less money than Rupp but both are very good products . I had a set of Lee Jr Wishbone Bases with 21' single spreader Rupp Poles with Rupp customized the bottom section poles to fit my Lee Jr Bases.Maybe someone on the board has or knows of a set of Outriggers for sale. Good Luck with your quest for outriggers.
Yannis outriggers are long poles that attach to the sides of the boat and allows you to spread the trolled baits farther away from the boat they range anywhere from 15' up to 40' in length and come with no spreaders, single spreader, double spreaders and triple spreaders. You can also hang release flags or other items of your choice from the poles
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

Many thanks Pete.
I will call them next week.
David Davidson
1971 B31 FBC Hull no 315-1106